RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #29

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
My comfort drive locks up if the coach sits for more than a few days. 2019 DutchStar. By locking up I mean you cannot turn the wheel at all. Newmar customer service told me it has to “wake up” after sitting!!! They told me to run the engine at high rpm while idling and start and stop the engine. I took the coach to Freightliner for a diagnosis and they told me the same thing. Makes for a long morning when trying to leave a campground. Buyer Beware.

Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry 2SUM View Post
Going to disagree with most of the previous posts. CD was my deal breaker after having two coaches with solid axles. Since to my knowledge you can’t get CD on anything but IFS spend the extra cash and get them both. There are units out there outside of the usual Trader sites that are deals. If I had been able to get my money together quicker we would have been able to buy a 2009 Essex with 35k miles out of a bank auction for $125K (it needed tires). There are credit unions and banks all over the place that have good solid units for pennies on the dollar. Our 2010 DS was bought at less than 1/2 of book with only 18k miles from a credit union. You WILL NOT be sorry you did what ever you need to do to get CD and IFS. My max mileage a day in the older coaches was 350, and closer to 200 in the wind. It is not uncommon for us to drive 500+ when we need to wind or no wind and it is directly related to CD. You will definitely appreciate it in a coach under 40’ with no tag.
Completely agree. Comfort Drive is a game changer when traveling in the wind and over long distances. Most people I have talked with said they will never own a coach without Comfort Drive after owning a coach with it. Go drive a coach with it on a windy day you you will see what all the hype is about.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I think CD is more for marketing hype.
Couldn't respectfully disagree more. We have driven 800 to 900 miles in a day with sustained 25 to 30 mph winds with gusts up to 40 -50 mph and we would have never attempted this without comfort drive. It is a fantastic technology.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
Couldn't respectfully disagree more. We have driven 800 to 900 miles in a day with sustained 25 to 30 mph winds with gusts up to 40 -50 mph and we would have never attempted this without comfort drive. It is a fantastic technology.
Wow, I call BS on this, do you team drive??? 900 miles??? and gusts to 50mph?????

Unbelievable, you obviously have never driven in 50mph wind gusts. or know how far 900 miles is
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #33
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing more to see here folks, move on. Same folks that have a burr in their saddle about CD arguing with folks willing to spend their money on it. Check out the archives if you are new here. BTW I am a CD believer so guess I will be the next to get flamed. Not the first time by the usual characters. That’s a line from Casablanca... ok never mind if you’re too young to get it.

No, CD does not need to be “woke up”. Something in the system is broke and you talked to the one tech, some of us have run into at Newmar, that just blew you off. Refuse to talk to that tech again and ask for someone else if they answer your call.

Well that fixed everything and ensures world peace . You are welcome .
JMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Wow, I call BS on this, do you team drive??? 900 miles??? and gusts to 50mph?????

Unbelievable, you obviously have never driven in 50mph wind gusts. or know how far 900 miles is
No BS here. I'm a bit insulted by your reply and your comments aren't funny. You have no idea where we have driven and through what. Like the time I drove by myself from Newmar to MA 900 miles in high winds none stop, or the time my wife and I drove from GA up the coast to Ma through a storm that was plummeting the coast with huge winds, or this summer when we drove from Calgary to Montana with winds blowing west to east that our kitchen slide out cover banged for two hours straight because of the high winds crossing the flat plains, or this summer when we drove through South Dakota and very high winds for 8 hours. We routinely travel 600 to 900 miles a day which is why we have almost 15,000 miles on our new coach since May. And yes, my wife and I both drive. We are also not the coach in a rest area during heavy rain and high winds.

The next time you decide to throw stones at a fellow Newmar owner please think twice. Just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean others haven't.

Which I won't do, but I could provide you the names of at least 20 NKK members who would validate my claims in a heartbeat because that are all true which is why we are known as the high milers. By the way, our longest day is 17 hours and 934 miles. Safe travels.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:58 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
No BS here. I'm a bit insulted by your reply and your comments aren't funny. You have no idea where we have driven and through what. Like the time I drove by myself from Newmar to MA 900 miles in high winds none stop, or the time my wife and I drove from GA up the coast to Ma through a storm that was plummeting the coast with huge winds, or this summer when we drove from Calgary to Montana with winds blowing west to east that our kitchen slide out cover banged for two hours straight because of the high winds crossing the flat plains, or this summer when we drove through South Dakota and very high winds for 8 hours. We routinely travel 600 to 900 miles a day which is why we have almost 15,000 miles on our new coach since May. And yes, my wife and I both drive. We are also not the coach in a rest area during heavy rain and high winds.

The next time you decide to throw stones at a fellow Newmar owner please think twice. Just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean others haven't.

Which I won't do, but I could provide you the names of at least 20 NKK members who would validate my claims in a heartbeat because that are all true which is why we are known as the high milers. By the way, our longest day is 17 hours and 934 miles. Safe travels.
I put over 15,000 on my 2010 Bay Star 2901 delivery truck in about 3 months of travel this year. Im also shopping DPs because the F53 is just not conducive to the way I travel.

I picked the coach up in Michigan in Feb this year (fly and buy), left Grand Rapids at 5pm on a Thursday and was home in N. Ca mid-day on Sunday. Snowing all the way from Grand Rapids to Salt Lake City, where I turned left and made my way home via Vegas and over to Bakersfield and up 99 because Id had just about enough of the weather, it was a holiday weekend, I 80 had been closed over the Sierras for 2 days and that would have been absolutely miserable. And I didn't have chains so they probably would have turned me around anyway. The Tehachapis where a bit touch and go too but not as bad as the rest.

But I digress. 2590 miles in 67 hours in blizzards and often near zero temps. It was so cold I thought the heater didn't work because it was blowing cold air on high heat, and windex would just freeze on the windshield. The windshield washer was the one thing that didn't work on the coach, which was also quite a challenge.

So. Average MPD 928.3. Alone. In a gasser! Even changed my oil in a Napa parking lot in Sidney, Nebraska in that weather. All this after hopping a red-eye from Sacramento Wednesday night to get there.

Do I recommend it? Of course not. Was it fun? Not particularly. Is it possible? Certainly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75995F72-922D-491E-B34F-D52EF65C450F.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	267580   Click image for larger version

Name:	466C7744-56B2-48BB-9EDC-3D9D49D467CE.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	267581  

Click image for larger version

Name:	95FCB95A-C898-4CD4-8448-C216CFC5A756.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	267582   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DB02CC6-6509-4977-8DA1-BF8F5F1A3C0B.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	267588  

Old 11-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By the way, as the OP, I’ll just note that while I believe CD is a great improvement, so far I am leaning towards IFS if I have to choose between a straight axle with CD or IFS without. I still haven't driven either, so Im speaking from ignorance with regard to the ride of a Ventana (hence this thread), but I start test drives tomorrow morning with an 05 KS/Spartan

Id say the group is split about 50/50 on this although I haven't actually tallied the replies. The coach in question is a 2007 Kountry Star 36’ on a 2006 Spartan MMGT chassis, ISL 350 with 18,000 miles vs one of several nice lightly used Ventanas. The price is right on the KS (about half the cost of the Ventanas Im looking at) and its pretty hard to pass up for a lot of reasons (pre-smog ISL, side radiator, IFS, etc), although I have two bad shoulders and CD sounds pretty attractive. But anything is going to be an improvement over the BS.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:58 AM   #37

I made this video a while ago. Maybe it will help.

https://youtu.be/iKnG2wijWEw

Start at 13 mins
Old 11-22-2019, 04:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I put over 15,000 on my 2010 Bay Star 2901 delivery truck in about 3 months of travel this year. Im also shopping DPs because the F53 is just not conducive to the way I travel.

I picked the coach up in Michigan in Feb this year (fly and buy), left Grand Rapids at 5pm on a Thursday and was home in N. Ca mid-day on Sunday. Snowing all the way from Grand Rapids to Salt Lake City, where I turned left and made my way home via Vegas and over to Bakersfield and up 99 because Id had just about enough of the weather, it was a holiday weekend, I 80 had been closed over the Sierras for 2 days and that would have been absolutely miserable. And I didn't have chains so they probably would have turned me around anyway. The Tehachapis where a bit touch and go too but not as bad as the rest.

But I digress. 2590 miles in 67 hours in blizzards and often near zero temps. It was so cold I thought the heater didn't work because it was blowing cold air on high heat, and windex would just freeze on the windshield. The windshield washer was the one thing that didn't work on the coach, which was also quite a challenge.

So. Average MPD 928.3. Alone. In a gasser! Even changed my oil in a Napa parking lot in Sidney, Nebraska in that weather. All this after hopping a red-eye from Sacramento Wednesday night to get there.

Do I recommend it? Of course not. Was it fun? Not particularly. Is it possible? Certainly.
Wow and we thought we traveled! It's amazing what you can and will do when you have to. Your travel stories are interesting. I'm not proud of the miles we do in a day we do it because we have to. We own a business and we don't have the luxury of taking our time. It's from point A to Point B to get where we are going and its not fun puling out at 4:00 am and parking at 8:00 PM for sure. But we are in our coach together enjoying the journey!

We are in Napannee getting some wood work done on the coach after our visit with Newmar for warranty stuff. This trip we have two days to get home so we will have a light travel schedule, 300 miles today and 600 tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your stories and safe travels!
Old 11-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
By the way, as the OP, I’ll just note that while I believe CD is a great improvement, so far I am leaning towards IFS if I have to choose between a straight axle with CD or IFS without. I still haven't driven either, so Im speaking from ignorance with regard to the ride of a Ventana (hence this thread), but I start test drives tomorrow morning with an 05 KS/Spartan

Id say the group is split about 50/50 on this although I haven't actually tallied the replies. The coach in question is a 2007 Kountry Star 36’ on a 2006 Spartan MMGT chassis, ISL 350 with 18,000 miles vs one of several nice lightly used Ventanas. The price is right on the KS (about half the cost of the Ventanas Im looking at) and its pretty hard to pass up for a lot of reasons (pre-smog ISL, side radiator, IFS, etc), although I have two bad shoulders and CD sounds pretty attractive. But anything is going to be an improvement over the BS.
Getting back to your original question if I had to chose between
CD and IFS I would chose CD and forego IFS. We had two Ventanas with Straight axles and they rode fine. CD was very valuable in high winds and we constantly are adjusting CD based on the wind and conditions. CD to me is a safety feature as we have driven and some huge winds for hundred of miles which we would not have been about to do without CD. Does our 2019 ride better with IFS for sure but I'm not sure how much is due to the IFS and how much is do to the larger air bags, huge 365s upfront that gobble up the road, and the IFS. Either way, we are strong believers in CD.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #40

Snowhawk2,

We are also high milers and drive through high winds across the plains and elsewhere. We had a bracket added to the kitchen slide to keep the slide topper from banging in a crosswind.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Wow and we thought we traveled! It's amazing what you can and will do when you have to. Your travel stories are interesting. I'm not proud of the miles we do in a day we do it because we have to. We own a business and we don't have the luxury of taking our time. It's from point A to Point B to get where we are going and its not fun puling out at 4:00 am and parking at 8:00 PM for sure. But we are in our coach together enjoying the journey!

We are in Napannee getting some wood work done on the coach after our visit with Newmar for warranty stuff. This trip we have two days to get home so we will have a light travel schedule, 300 miles today and 600 tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your stories and safe travels!
I had a very ill brother in law (and very good friend) in NH and I traveled back and forth from Ca to there 7 or 8 times by coach (and several by air) in a year and a half to help out where I could, so I put in a lot of long lonely days. Made it there in four days in a class c once, just me and the dogs. When traveling alone I don't have to worry about anyone’s comfort. But I cherish those 200-300 mile days too and enjoy them when I can. I certainly wont be putting in long days like that in a gasser anymore. Its either upgrade coaches or change my travel style.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Getting back to your original question if I had to chose between
CD and IFS I would chose CD and forego IFS. We had two Ventanas with Straight axles and they rode fine. CD was very valuable in high winds and we constantly are adjusting CD based on the wind and conditions. CD to me is a safety feature as we have driven and some huge winds for hundred of miles which we would not have been about to do without CD. Does our 2019 ride better with IFS for sure but I'm not sure how much is due to the IFS and how much is do to the larger air bags, huge 365s upfront that gobble up the road, and the IFS. Either way, we are strong believers in CD.
This helps a lot. Also brings the 34 Ventanas back into play will please the W. Thanks!