Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to this View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. Both are good to have and they do totally different things. One thing I will say is that on our third trip out, the Comfort Steer failed and it made me realize that without it, the drive was far more exhausting. Now the bad news. I was sure glad that it was a warranty repair when I found out that the bill was over $8,000 to fix it.
Im not trying to compare the systems. This was meant to be a comparison of the resultant driving effort, ease, and comfort derived from each system individually (for obviously different mechanical reasons).

In the simplest of terms, it was a question of a choice between a coach with IFS but no CD, or a coach with CD but a straight axle. For those with experience in both, if you had to choose, which one wins?

This is obviously just one step in the decision making process, there are many more parameters to be considered, but I’m trying to keep it simple here, one topic at a time.

I thought this conversation had pretty much run its coarse with a lot of great input from a lot of experienced owners, but then it made the news letter so here we are again.

Any additional input is quite welcome, as it may prove instructive to others, but I have since set my sights on a New Aire so I can have both in a package under 36’, albeit at four times the price of the original coach in question.

Essentially, both sides convinced me!

Cheers!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #58

I had a 2013 Ventana with CD and loved it. Now have a Tiffin Allegro Bus with IFS and of course no CD. At first I missed CD which was easy and comfortable to drive Now after a year of driving I don’t miss it anymore and feel the road control with IFS is much smoother. I wouldn’t buy anything without IFS again.
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #59

IFS

What is it?
I know what DC ls.
Just researching before buying.
Thanks, Don
donvidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:27 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvidon View Post
What is it?
I know what DC ls.
Thanks, Don
IFS is Individual Front (wheel) Suspension
CD is called Comfort Drive by Newmar
Old 11-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Comfort Drive is Required as is IFS.

Our first coach was a 2007 Kountry Star. You didn’t steer it, you pointed it. DW refused to drive it because it was so hard to drive. Purchased a 2013 DS and have to compromise to get to drive. Steering is precise and stability is exceptional. Moved up to a 2016 MA and it’s even better. You NEED both.
janelewbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
As far as maneuverability, I'm sure my 37 with a shorter wheelbase will turn inside a 40's radius.
That’s a good guess but if you haven’t actually driven them both, you’ll be surprised. we went to our dealer and tried them both.... specifically went to an area where we could mark turning radius since where we have some private property has some tight areas. The turning radius with the tag on a Newmar .... at least the 2020’s is remarkably tight. I can’t speak for older models since we didn’t drive those. I think we always guess in favor of what we have.... I’m a research geek so I tend to over think and research things.
Mle75749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by C and C View Post
Ok I'm on the lower end of the class,the poor side of the track was some would say..lol . BUT I'm learnin. Can someone please explain what ifs and CD actually are. I know CD is comfort drive however I'd like to know what it consist of. We are so used to strait axle spring ride,having driven trucks for 30+ yrs I guess we just don't know any different. If we could find a DP with our Winnebago 35A floor layout we might move on up. I'd kinda like to know what to look for if we did. Thanks
Lol... I can’t explain it either but I’d point you to some videos out there you tube. Specifically some of the newmar dealers have some videos that explain comfort drive and show the turning radius etc. my folks bought a used Dutchstar with CD in 2009.... it was a 2005... it drove better than our 2014 without it. You don’t have to buy new and expensive to get the CD... they’ve done a bunch of interior remodeling and it’s beautiful. Newmar will remodel will work on ANY of it’s equipment forever.
Mle75749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelewbill View Post
Our first coach was a 2007 Kountry Star. You didn’t steer it, you pointed it. DW refused to drive it because it was so hard to drive. Purchased a 2013 DS and have to compromise to get to drive. Steering is precise and stability is exceptional. Moved up to a 2016 MA and it’s even better. You NEED both.
This is incredibly helpful, even if after the decision was made. I was ready to hop a plane to FL to buy the previously mentioned 07 KS because it was on a Spartan IFS chassis and had everything else I want. I held off because the results of this thread made it clear that both would be best, and I want to buy a coach Ill keep for many years. But it was difficult to pass up that 07 KS 3623 - your post removes any regret. And I have enough of those already. So thank you very much for this comment.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint11 View Post
My comfort drive locks up if the coach sits for more than a few days. 2019 DutchStar. By locking up I mean you cannot turn the wheel at all. Newmar customer service told me it has to “wake up” after sitting!!! They told me to run the engine at high rpm while idling and start and stop the engine. I took the coach to Freightliner for a diagnosis and they told me the same thing. Makes for a long morning when trying to leave a campground. Buyer Beware.
Call custom Chassis at Freightliner. Most FL dealers don't know anything about CD. One even argued with me that being as it is only on Newmar it is a Newmar problem to repair. Custom Chassis reexplained that to that dealer.

1-800-FTL-HELP.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvidon View Post
What is it?
I know what DC ls.
Thanks, Don
To get background information and the original intent of the thread you can read the first few posts.

If you want to really understand Comfort Drive, read this:
iRV2 Forums - Files - Tour of the Newmar Comfort Drive system, Rev. A

I would NOT rely on either dealers (as evidenced by the above post), you tube, or third hand descriptions for a thorough, accurate understanding. They will give you some information which may or may not be useful, but you are also likely to run into misinformation.

Comfort Drive (CD) first appeared on the market in Newmar coaches in 2008 but without the “settings knob”. No adjustment, just permanently set on what is “3”on the later models with the knob. Now its adjusted through a multi-controll on the steering wheel. I liked the knob better, but.....progress I guess. Also it has no affect on turning radius - just steering effort and control in a variety of conditions.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #67

Freightliner Owners Club
I’ve had 2-45 ft coaches on a Spartan K-2, one without and one with CD. An amazing improvement with the CD and NOT marketing hype! When looking for this current one I wanted CD for sure, along with IFS. But Ventana only come with the solid axle, so I bought. I still love the CD, but can’t say I miss not having the IFS.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #68

Gotta ask how do you find out about these foreclosures and auctions?
DanHerbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mle75749 View Post
That’s a good guess but if you haven’t actually driven them both, you’ll be surprised. we went to our dealer and tried them both.... specifically went to an area where we could mark turning radius since where we have some private property has some tight areas. The turning radius with the tag on a Newmar .... at least the 2020’s is remarkably tight. I can’t speak for older models since we didn’t drive those. I think we always guess in favor of what we have.... I’m a research geek so I tend to over think and research things.
Better to do some research on turn diameter I have a NA and the turn radius is so tight you need to be sure you don't bend your tow bar or get into your coach. The NA at least the 2018 has a 60 degree crank angle, now they have a 58 degree. On the newer tag axels they turn as well to allow a sharper turn.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Also Spartan passive steer tags stay engaged until 45 mph making it useful in many more driving situations. Freightliner passive steer tags cut out at 15mph. Big difference.

(Way off topic on my own thread, I know, but the subject of tag axles and maneuverability has come up several times in this thread.)