Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #15

When we were ordering our coach we took a tour of the factory and asked around. The general consensus was that the britetek was a better roof than the fiberglass. The reasons given all generally revolved around quieter, just as robust, and a better warranty.

So I asked why, if its a better roof, is the FB roof standard on the high line coaches when it wasn't on the lower end coaches? The answer, I thought, showed some insight into the minds of consumers. Apparently, so many of the high line customer opted for the FB roof, regardless of what Newmar thought, that they just made it standard. It seems that many people are still licking wounds from the old rubber membranes and their response when they have that amount of money to spend is to unquestionably go with the FB.

You may have noticed (if you take the tour of the factory) at the roofing station they have a piece of britetek on the wall for people to touch and examine to get a better look at the product.

When I went through the tour I hung back a bit as the tour moved on, pulled out my pocket knife, a big old Gerber paraframe, and tried to cut or puncture that sample. Even with the point of the knife dug down into the material and me applying quite a bit of force I couldn't penetrate the outer membrane. At some point I realized that I was pushing pretty good and that I was more likely going to slice my hand open than I was cutting the material, I stopped and caught up with the tour. I have to believe it would have to be one heck of an event to puncture that stuff. I dont think simply scraping it with branches while driving would do it. To be honest, I would be more worried about what the branches do to the things mounted up there than I would what they do to the roof.

We went with the britetek when we ordered and are very satisfied and not at all worried about the decision.

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
True - it is quiet.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
When we were ordering our coach we took a tour of the factory and asked around. The general consensus was that the britetek was a better roof than the fiberglass. The reasons given all generally revolved around quieter, just as robust, and a better warranty.

So I asked why, if its a better roof, is the FB roof standard on the high line coaches when it wasn't on the lower end coaches? The answer, I thought, showed some insight into the minds of consumers. Apparently, so many of the high line customer opted for the FB roof, regardless of what Newmar thought, that they just made it standard. It seems that many people are still licking wounds from the old rubber membranes and their response when they have that amount of money to spend is to unquestionably go with the FB.

You may have noticed (if you take the tour of the factory) at the roofing station they have a piece of britetek on the wall for people to touch and examine to get a better look at the product.

When I went through the tour I hung back a bit as the tour moved on, pulled out my pocket knife, a big old Gerber paraframe, and tried to cut or puncture that sample. Even with the point of the knife dug down into the material and me applying quite a bit of force I couldn't penetrate the outer membrane. At some point I realized that I was pushing pretty good and that I was more likely going to slice my hand open than I was cutting the material, I stopped and caught up with the tour. I have to believe it would have to be one heck of an event to puncture that stuff. I dont think simply scraping it with branches while driving would do it. To be honest, I would be more worried about what the branches do to the things mounted up there than I would what they do to the roof.

We went with the britetek when we ordered and are very satisfied and not at all worried about the decision.

John

Great information . I also should add the thing that drove me crazy on older membrane roofs was depending on temperature , it would get bubbles and wrinkles especially over seams. Probably not the case on Britetek.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #18

I've seen some people post they've only washed it once or twice in twelve years, others that they wash it and use 303 (I think that's right) every six months.

What's the real scoop on what's necessary? Not eager to stand on a slippery roof every six months.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Great information . I also should add the thing that drove me crazy on older membrane roofs was depending on temperature , it would get bubbles and wrinkles especially over seams. Probably not the case on Britetek.
I believe that is very unlikely.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #20

It was an option that I paid for our '15 VTDP. Not having had a Britetek, I can't say that it is quieter or stronger. I've no complaints on my fiber glass roof.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Fiberglass is an option on the Canyon Star. Not sure about BayStar.
jt
Fibergass is not an option on the Bay Star. I like my fiberglass roof, but as I have no Brite Tek experience I can't speak to that.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a CS and opted for the fiberglass, as far as noise we are extremely please. We do have the additional roof insulation so maybe that’s why we don’t notice any additional noise.

We Would definitely order fiberglass again.

Steve
Old 01-18-2018, 05:21 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I've seen some people post they've only washed it once or twice in twelve years, others that they wash it and use 303 (I think that's right) every six months.

What's the real scoop on what's necessary? Not eager to stand on a slippery roof every six months.
Here's what Dicor says about BriteTEK roof maintenance:

"Proper care and maintenance of your recreational vehicle, including your Brite-Ply or BriteTEK roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy, and requires no special material.

1. Keep your roof clean. Clean your roof at least four (4) times annually."

Of course, Dicor recommends use of the roof cleaners, roof sealers, etc., that they sell; so the more you clean, the better for their bottom line.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Here's what Dicor says about BriteTEK roof maintenance:

"Proper care and maintenance of your recreational vehicle, including your Brite-Ply or BriteTEK roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy, and requires no special material.

1. Keep your roof clean. Clean your roof at least four (4) times annually."

Of course, Dicor recommends use of the roof cleaners, roof sealers, etc., that they sell; so the more you clean, the better for their bottom line.
So, in practice, those of you with Britetek, how often do you clean and do you use 303 or Dicor's UV protection?

I know I saw a couple posts by people that said they cleaned it twice in a decade or so and showed pictures that looked good (not suggesting that's ideal).

I won't be full timing and when not in use, it will be in an RV garage, so other than times it might be parked under a weeping tree at an RV park, I wouldn't think the roof is going to get very contaminated.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
On either type of roof, if you don’t wash the dirt off while washing the MH, the dirt finds it’s way down the sides of the MH. I don’t think either roof “needs” to be washed more or less
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, newmar, roof, vent, ventana