Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jjbsmith:
I read Motorhome and Trailer Life and notice a lot of adds by chassis manufactures touting IFS etc. Why would a house builder sneek downgrades onto a chassis when the chassis manufacuters are going to so much trouble to advertise things like IFS.
To me it smacks of false advertising. The house builder is misrepresenting the chassis builder's product.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all about price point. I can't think of any coach with IFS at the AllStar price point.
If Freightliner advertises a chassis model with
IFS and Mercedes engines, does this mean that
every Freightliner chassis must have this setup?

If the chassis ad shows a CAT engine and the coach model you want has a Cummins, is this
false advertising?

If the chassis ad shows alloy wheels, but the
coach model you want has steel wheels, is this
deceptive, when the house brochure says nothing
about alloy wheels or that they are optional?

If Spartan has an ad of a chassis with a tag axle, then every Spartan chassis must have a tag?

Your first complaint was that your Spartan chassis instruction manual had info about an
IFS. Now you are complaining about generic chassis magazine ads--NOT Newmar ads or brochures. Newmar did not promise IFS for Allstar, nor does it sound like your dealer did.

Again, as I already posted, there is NO standard
chassis in the RV industry. Is it confusing,
and complex? Absolutely. That's why finding a
good salesperson is useful, as well as looking
under the coach you are interested in, as well
as talking to a chassis or house factory rep.
When spending big money, a certain amount of due
diligence might be in order, IMO.

I am very sorry that you feel like you have been
led astray, nobody likes that feeling with a large investment. I hope you enjoy your coach
otherwise.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Regan:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all about price point. I can't think of any coach with IFS at the AllStar price point.
If Freightliner advertises a chassis model with
IFS and Mercedes engines, does this mean that
every Freightliner chassis must have this setup?

If the chassis ad shows a CAT engine and the coach model you want has a Cummins, is this
false advertising?

If Spartan has an ad of a chassis with a tag axle, then every Spartan chassis must have a tag?

[/QUOTE]
I hate to flog a dead horse but Cat and Cummins are equals.
Spartan does advertise the Mountain Master ME with IFS. They also advertise a lesser mid-engine chassis with I-beam and ISB size engines.
I can' think of any industry that advertises top of the line and leaves the customer to guess what might have been cut to improve price point.
My wife's Lexus is advertised as base price with standard equipment. They don't remove the steering wheel and replace it with ropes to achieve a better price point. Same with condos. It's is always the cheepest one in the ad. They can't replace the stairs with a ladder and expect to make the customer happy.
I understand now, and I am sorry this thread has gotten out of hand.
I am the last guy this type of thing usually happens to. I always do my homework and this time I was caught out. Maybe thats why it hurt so much.

2007 Allstar,
jjbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jjbsmith:

Spartan does advertise the Mountain Master ME with IFS. They also advertise a lesser mid-engine chassis with I-beam and ISB size engines.
I can' think of any industry that advertises top of the line and leaves the customer to guess what might have been cut to improve price point.

I am the last guy this type of thing usually happens to. I always do my homework and this time I was caught out. Maybe thats why it hurt so much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

I can understand how you feel and how confusing
this can be. Spartan is known for IFS, as it's
been something they were using before their
competitors. I just think it's important to know that Newmar is no different in ordering a
chassis to meet a price point than any of their
competitors.

When I was in RV sales, the hardest thing for me
to do was justify why something like a Tiffin Phaeton cost less than a Kountry Star, but the
interior was nicer(albeit with vinyl wrap cabinets). Customers, especially wives, didn't understand that most of the cost of a coach is the chassis/drivetrain. Phaeton uses a Freightliner rear radiator, solid axle,
smaller engine configuration vs. Kountry Star
with a typically optioned larger engine, side
radiator and standard IFS. Big dollar difference-just can't see it.

Newmar wanted to keep the AllStar family friendly price point wise, so they didn't
include IFS(that 42' model is getting up
there in price, however). Common industry practice, for better or worse.

You'd be amazed at how many RV owners don't
know that their cabinets are vinyl wrap or
roofs aren't fiberglass.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star
Old 08-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #18

I looked at the All Star brochure and a few itemized lists on available All Stars and couldn't find a mention of IFS in any of them.

The Kountry Star brochure has IFS listed so do the higher end units.

IMHO, Newmar did nothing to mislead you when all their literature has no mention of it. The Spartan manual may mention it but for many products I buy there is mention of features not available on all models. Computer video cards come to mind where a higher end card might have more vertex pixel shaders capabilities and it may be listed in the manual but if I didn't buy that card I really can't call up dell and complain as I didn't pay for that particular feature.

Now if Newmar had a brochure that listed IFS on the All Star I'd rally behind ya on it but in all honesty I see no reason for you to be upset with them or Spartan for that matter.

I'm sure if you bought a car without power windows the manual might have a discussion about them even though it doesn't apply to you. Towing capacity on a truck with a special tow package will be listed even if your base 4x4 doesn't have it. They might make mention of a convertible top on some models even though your hard top doesn't have one.

They save money that way by not having to print a different set of literature for every possible combination out there.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote