Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ignition-switched 12V power in bedroom closet

Has anyone out there ever tapped into a source of ignition-switched 12V power in (or near) the bedroom closet (very rear of coach)? Before I start poking around, I thought I'd ask for pointers!

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bcbounders,
I know of no ignition switched 12 V power inside the rear of the coach. There should be several choices in the engine compartment. If you drill any holes to feed a wire from the engine compartment to the inside of the coach, please make sure the hole is very well sealed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

I would agree with Gary, may have to drop into a battery compartment.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Why does it need to be switched? You can get constant power from the closet light, of course. But guess you know that.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi bcbounders,
I know of no ignition switched 12 V power inside the rear of the coach. There should be several choices in the engine compartment. If you drill any holes to feed a wire from the engine compartment to the inside of the coach, please make sure the hole is very well sealed.
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping I don't have to drill through to the engine compartment because I don't want to have to worry about sealing it (and checking it over time). Don't want engine soot, exhaust, etc ending up in the closet/bedroom.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Why does it need to be switched? You can get constant power from the closet light, of course. But guess you know that.
Yeah... the closet light power is my fallback, but I'd really like to have ignition-switched. What I'm connecting doesn't need to be on if the engine's not running, so I'd rather not have it draining power from the house batteries while parked. And if I put a switch in it, that would require that I remember to turn it off when parked and on when driving... and I'd prefer not to have to rely on my memory... which is only getting worse!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on your coach.. I have no ignition switched circuits in my bedroom but.. A short distance away (like perhaps 2 feet literal six feel wire run) is the interlock for the slides,, My slides only work with Ignition OF so there is an interlock lead right there, and a Relay.. I happen to know where they hid the relay. IN MY COACH.

yours may be different (The relay is behind the panel with all the slide out switches of course, and the key-lock for the slides, and the water pump, water heater, and tank sensors)
Old 02-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What are you trying to control????
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
A lot depends on your coach.. I have no ignition switched circuits in my bedroom but.. A short distance away (like perhaps 2 feet literal six feel wire run) is the interlock for the slides,, My slides only work with Ignition OF so there is an interlock lead right there, and a Relay.. I happen to know where they hid the relay. IN MY COACH.

yours may be different (The relay is behind the panel with all the slide out switches of course, and the key-lock for the slides, and the water pump, water heater, and tank sensors)
That's an interesting idea... I'll have to see if I have reasonable access to something similar. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
What are you trying to control????
I need to install a repeater for my Tire Pressure Monitoring System... the rear sensors on my towed come in-and-out because of the length of my setup. I'd like to install it with ignition-switched power so that it is only on when the RV is running.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ignition-switched 12V power in bedroom closet

I installed mine in the engine bay outside. I have the tst 507 series and it is weatherproof.

My prior coach i installed inside using a closet light and never worried. There are so many other phantom power drains the small amount this pulls is irrelevant
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bcbounders,
Consider using a non-switched power source. If the sensors are communicating with the TPMS and someone tries to steal a sensor, the alarm will sound.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi bcbounders,
Consider using a non-switched power source. If the sensors are communicating with the TPMS and someone tries to steal a sensor, the alarm will sound.
Thanks, Gary. That's my fallback. I'd just rather not wire it that way because we boondock/dry camp quite a bit... and with a residential fridge and only 4 6V batteries, we really like to conserve power as much as possible. I know the repeater is only a tiny drain... but they add up!

I'll try giving Newmar a call this week to see if they have any ideas... but I'm thinking I'll probably end up biting the bullet and using the light in the closet as the power source. I'll put a switch inline with it so I CAN turn it off (if I remember, LOL!).

Thanks all!

Tags
power