RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Illuminated grab handle

I know there was an article on here years ago about illuminated grab handles. I have found that article but it doesn't appear that the place where others had found there handle is around anymore. I guess I would need the #5500L handle replacement. Our coach is the Newmar MACA3778. If anyone has any info to share it would be great.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking about buying a handle that illuminates or making yours illuminate?

When I owned my 2005 Diplomat, it had the acrylic handle, but was not designed to illuminate. I removed the handle and installed an LED at one end, that illuminated the entire handle.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #3

I replaced mine last year. Purchased it via EBAY. Purchased from Independence RV. There are other sellers also. Here is a link for one similar to mine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-RV-...Fa4GTX&vxp=mtr

You can do an EBAY search for "RV Acrylic door handle" and you will get a bunch of hits. If you haven't already done so, take your handle off and measure the overall length and diameter. Also note the configuration of the ends. Some have a slot cut out of the side on each end (prevents the handle from turning), others have a piece cut off at a 45 degree angle and others have no cuts. Also note whether there is a bend or not.
You used to be able to order from Newmar, not sure you can now. Their price was about 3 times the price I payed on EBAY.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 PM   #4

You could also call Independence RV 844-335-3010 and talk directly with them.
Here is there website: https://www.independencerv.com/
Old 04-26-2018, 02:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info about ebay. I did find the handle also at Amazon. It is the number that was mentioned in an article here 8 years ago. I'll give them all a shot and thanks again.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear but a paint shop has broken the handle and now it needs to be replaced.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call Newmar. I did and they sent me a new stainless steel replacement for free about 2 years ago. More evidence of why Newmar has such a great reputation of standing by their product.

Many Newmar owners have experienced failure of that exterior acrylic grab handle.

One of the reasons I speculate they are replacing it for free is that a bad fall can happen while someone is using the handle to enter/exit and it fails.

You will have to do a little cutting on the new stainless steel replacement to make it fit properly, but once installed it is rock solid. No more cool light emanating from it, but it will be there intact for the life of the coach.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:38 PM   #7

Seems I remember reading that Newmar had stopped doing the free exchange for the chrome one.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
'04 Mt. Aire 3501 gas. Same problem as most everyone else here, broken OEM acrylic illuminated grab handle. It broke last fall (2017) as I was putting the RV in storage for the winter. I contacted Newmar and they immediately sent me a stainless replacement handle, at no charge. The problem is that the new one is about an inch too long and it is notched on both ends on the inside, notches facing the coach. Notches are approximately 1/4" deep on both ends. Does anyone have any specific knowledge and/or experience replacing the handle under these circumstances? It seems to me that to make it fit I would have to cut the notches on both ends a half an inch deeper and grind off the overall length accordingly. I've read several posts here from years gone by that say it's a really simple task, just grind off a little here and there and file this and that and you're ready to go. What am I missing? All info is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	201669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0531.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	201670  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	201671  
PalmerAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this place. They will also engrave it if you like.

Brite Bar Handles Archives - Fleming Sales OEM | Elkhart, IN

jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
harleyjt, thanks for the response. I have seen their link elsewhere on this forum but it was apparently outdated as I could never get it to load. I just assumed that they no longer existed and didn't pursue it any further. Your link worked, I just tried to call them but they are apparently closed on Saturday. Great website, looks as though I should be able to get what I need, I'll give them a shout on Monday. Again, many thanks, there is no substitute for the knowledge of someone that has "been there done that".
PalmerAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's not hard. Just use a hacksaw to take off the necessary length and also to get the notches right. I think I may also have used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel on the notches. One of the things I recall was the need to figure out which end goes up since it is not a uniform curve. Just compare it to the old acrylic handle for that. Take it slow, measure carefully, and don't take off too much. Do some test fitting and take off more as needed. I didn't do any grinding.

Before I finally installed it, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the top bracket so that the light which will no longer be able to give illumination through the handle will shine on the side of the coach behind the new handle for night visibility.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My original acrylic handle (2002 DS) broke recently. Replacement online $39.99. Local supply (TAP Plastic, Seattle) selling 1 inch acrylic rod stock @ $5.65/ft. Fifteen minutes with the Dremel. Done.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote