Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #1

I'm trying to remember.....

Hello again. Thanks for all who helped us out about the freezing weather we'll have for two days close to Houston this weekend. We know what to do now. And that will probably be the extent of the really cold weather in south and east Texas. By February, it will be warming up, most likely. Next question: Good place to buy TV satellite with tripod? And what are the chances in nice parks that it would get stolen since it will be sitting outside? My husband refuses to have one put on the roof. No real reason, other than he can't stand to have extra holes in the roof.
calasiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calasiter View Post
Hello again. Thanks for all who helped us out about the freezing weather we'll have for two days close to Houston this weekend. We know what to do now. And that will probably be the extent of the really cold weather in south and east Texas. By February, it will be warming up, most likely. Next question: Good place to buy TV satellite with tripod? And what are the chances in nice parks that it would get stolen since it will be sitting outside? My husband refuses to have one put on the roof. No real reason, other than he can't stand to have extra holes in the roof.
I've seen some decent prices on Amazon.com. There are a lot of different choices, so be sure you do your homework before taking the plunge.

As for the chance of one getting stolen, it can happen, but I don't think it is too likely in a "nice park." A good bicycle cable or chain and padlock will help keep people honest.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #3

as my grandpa used to tell me....if ya don't want it stolen don't leave it outside. that being said in 32-seasons of RVing we've only had 1 theft and that was a lawn chair, step ladder and extention cord at an indiana state park. it was also 30-years ago.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #4

Been using a tripod since 04 and haven't had anything happened yet.Get yourself a 100 ft cable and you can set it up anywhere.
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

We purchased a pathway x2 on Craigslist. You just set it on the ground, no tripod. It finds the satellite automatically. Works great. If you are parked under trees you can move it around to find a clear area to aim it. We purchased a bike cable and lock to secure it to a tree, or to something on the coach like the ladder.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #6

Depends which Sat provider, you pick.
Don't know much about Direct TV, but if you want dish, and use one of these portable dishes, with a single LNB, then you will not be able to watch two separate TV's on different channels (unless they happen to be on the same satellite). For that you need a dish with 3 LNB's , the kind you would see at a S&B. They can be a pain to aim, if you are moving often. the best tripod is from "TV for your RV", and it is basically a theodolite stand, modified to take a dish.
Expensive, but easier to set up. I bought one before I got the traveler on the roof, which is by far the easiest way to set up multi-TV dish, unless of course you end up parked under trees, in which case the portable comes in handy.
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Note to husband

4 Class A's, 5 roof-mounted satellite dishes. Never a leak.
Push a button and I am set up. No storage issues. No theft issues.
Makes life MUCH easier.
I understand his concerns, but the roof is designed to carry the dish.
slowspokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

Bought mine at Amazon for $129. It has the same dish I have for Directv at home. Works great. I’ve heard that some of the smaller dishes don’t work so well in bad weather.