Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Importing coach into Canada after factory PDI

We have decided to order a Ventana LE 3436 and bring it back into Canada after the factory PDI. It doesn’t matter to me whether we place the order through a Canadian or US dealer – that will depend on price. I was hoping some fellow Canadians could comment and advise us on their export/import experience.

Specifically:
- Is it easy to get a recall clearance letter from Newmar at the factory PDI?
- Can you bypass the RVIA if the coach has the ‘CSA Approval for Canadian Dealers’ option?
- Do you get the original certificate of ownership once you pay the dealer or when you pick up the coach from the factory? If it comes from the dealer, then they must need to send it to you prior to picking up the coach.
- Any problems getting the temporary license permit from the State of Indiana? Is it for 90 days?
- The Canadian dollar has fallen over the last few months – does anyone know whether Canadian dealers adjust for this in their pricing?

Thank you in advance,
Scott
Nova Scotia
follows is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Go to Registrar of Imported Vehicles
This will tell you everything you need.

I set up an account and you can either phone them or
email and get very quick response.

We have been noticing that the prices are becoming more equal.
You used to be able to save 100,000 by buying in the states but
not any longer.
Since we have very few "NEW" motorhome dealers it is hard to
find "year old new units" sitting on lots.

Most reputable dealers have dealt with the Canadian rules and regs.
and know all the paperwork required.

BC is probably different than Nova Scotia, so check your own rules.

WARRANTY......make sure it is covered in Canada and you have a local dealer
close to you. Some Canadian dealers will tell you that they will not
do warranty work on a unit bought in the states. Make sure your warranty states
that you are covered wherever you are.

Good luck on your purchase.
REMEMBER......do not pay until you are 110% satisfied with your deal.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

If you have been reading most of the threads on new Newmar purchases you will see that some US based dealers will give you up to 30% off of list price, if you don't have a trade. If there is a CDN dealer that would do the same, why not, that would save you a small bunch of trouble.

Regards to US exchange I suppose you will have to pay in US funds if you buy in the US and you would pay the equivalent to a CDN dealer because he would have done the conversion, so that should not make a dif..

Suspect it would be easy to get the recall clearance from Newmar as they are most helpful. And I think if you get the CSA approval/spec. on your new coach it should be easy to get it "inspected/re-certified" as nos changes should be required. In Ontario, it's Canadian Tire stores that do these conformity inspections.

And it's the dealer that would give you a temporary plate or trip permit as well as a "title" I believe (from whichever State they are at). Have a friend that purchased used in SC and it was easy to get a 30 day permit out of there.

Just in case you do have a trade-in, and if it's like in Ontario, you would pay the provincial tax on the difference but you pay the federal portion on the full amount of your new coach...

You will have to ship the original paperwork to the US customs 72 hours in advance of your crossing back to Canada, but you probably knew this as it sounds like you have done your research.

Good luck on your purchase whichever way you go, let us know how you make out!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Just as a note, Newmar does build to Canadian requirements. In fact my last Dutch Star had the Newmar logo with the Canadian flag,( it was ordered through a Canadian dealer) - my current Dutch Star has the same logo with the US flag (bought at US auction).

If you are paying cash (no trade) your best bet is probably the US (check PPL or MHSRV - both will provide the paperwork to import in to Canada). If you don't have a trade you will have to pay the tax anyhow. Even with exchange rates dropping daily, you can still probably get a great deal. Lots of deals in Feb - my local dealer says he sells more MHs in Feb than during the summer.

Chris

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I've imported 4 mhs, one car and one boat (and almost bought another car 2 weeks ago) from the US so I'm certainly a big proponent of buying in the US but obviously you need to do your homework and compare prices.

For the recall letter, contact Newmar and ask them - I'd be very surprised if they didn't supply it but better safe than sorry. According to RIV, you need recall letters from motorhome and chassis manufacturers for mhs but my last 2 mh imports, I only got it from the chassis manufacturer (Freightliner) and RIV didn't ask me for it from the motorhome manufacturer so in practice, you might not even need it from Newmar.

I'm 99% that you do not need the CSA sticker to import it into Canada. I believe it's only required by dealerships that sell new vehicles in Canada. However, your insurance company could insist on it (there are electrical and plumbing differences I believe) so if you are getting a new coach from the factory, I think it's a good idea to bring it. For what it's worth, I do not believe that any of the 4 I imported had it and it was not on the checklist that CT goes through during my last import around Oct 2012 (I don't think it was always like that but now the Form 2 that CT has to complete has checkboxes for each thing they need to verify (e.g. chassis VIN, KM/H markings on speedo, etc).

As far as the MCO, it probably depends on the State and might depend on the dealership but in most cases I suspect you'll get it while others might give you a temp registration / title. You'll need to confirm this as you need the MCO or title to export / import (e.g. if it's a State where they give you a temp title and then mail you the real one, I don't think you'll be able to export / import until you get the real one). I've never bought new or from Indiana so can't help you there.

As far as the temp tag, you also need to check with Indiana as each state is different. Many issue temp tags, in some (CA, FL, etc) you can get them but you have to pay state tax on the vehicle to get it. Some states (e.g. AK) only issue temp tags to US residents. Some states have 7 days, others have 14 days or 30 days or 90 days temp.

Good luck.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada