Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
HGC

Impressed by Dutch Star

Currently we have a Tiffin gasser but was at the Pittsburgh RV show and got a first hand look at a Dutch Star and was looking into feed back as to finding a gently used unit and how DS owners feel about their unit. Wanted to see if there is a Newmar Owners Classified forum.
Really blown away by the Dutch Star.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have owned two Dutch Stars, a 2000 and 2002 both bought new and made to our order. The 2002 was the best rig we've ever owned even after 13 years or ownership/use. In fact we spent less for repairs/upkeep in the 13 years we owned it than we have on the Magna in less than a year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Your instincts on the Dutch Star (DS) are spot on. I have a 2012 that I bought from a dealership. My only strong advise is: only consider used DS with strong maintenance records. Most used coaches will not come with any warranty protection unless you buy aftermarket. So a strong and thorough inspection before you sign the dotted line. Finally, have some just in case money because parts fail from time to time.

Good Luck.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Purchased our 2015 DSDP in June 2015. We search the country for the one that fit us. I did not know about ordering one direct from the factory with the features we wanted in our dream machine. Instead we found one that is perfect for us.

The service has been extraordinary after the sale. The comfort is great going down the road or docked at night while exploring the country.
Ok Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
8 months of ownership and only two minor issues that are Freightliner related. I've been very impressed with my DS and the quality coach that Newmar builds. I also loved the fact that I was able to customize it to my liking....what a great benefit to the consumer. Kudos to Newmar!
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #6

DW and I started planning retirement early 2015. We decided we wanted to try the RV lifestyle for a while and began research on types, brands, models, etc. We quickly narrowed the search down to 34 - 38'. Soon after we decided on a diesel pusher.

Soon we had the manufacturer down to Newmar and Tiffen, with the edge to Newmar based on feedback from owners on this and some other sites, plus visiting dealers and looking at various models. The choices in order were Dutch Star, Alegro Bus, Ventana, Phaeton, Ventana LE.

Dutch Star was the first choice due to IFS, side radiator, Comfort Drive and Oasis heat

After a long search we saw a 2012 Dutch Star 38 that had just been listed on RV Trader. A call to the seller and we knew it was the right one. We sent a deposit the next day and went to look at it at the first possible time (we were in Kentucky, the seller in Virginia). The RV was more than we expected and we finalized the deal.

Six months, 1500 miles and about 20 nights in the coach confirms we made the right decision. While we're still learning how everything works, we have not been disappointed in anything about the coach.

We're at the Tampa RV show this week and spent the day looking at a variety of new units ranging from ~ $200k - $2,000 k, the only ones that made us go WOW!!! were the new Dutch Stars (although the King Aire, London Air and Essex were beautiful, they don't come close to the value of the DS)

Good luck on your search!
Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

We have a 2004 Newmar DSDP we purchased from the original owner that was 10 yrs old with 30K miles. It has been a wonderful coach, drives great and is very powerful. The construction and interior quality of the Newmar is unmatched for the money.

I would highly recommend a used Dutch Star.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	O-S 3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	116702   Click image for larger version

Name:	O-S 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	116703  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #8

I bought a 2002 DSDP from the original owner. It was his baby and he took very good care of it. It was always garaged when not in use and looks like a new one yet. I'm very happy with it and the Newmar quality really gets appreciated the longer I own it. I've been FT since I bought it with minimal problems of which most were from me not knowing how to work things. These big rigs are a challenge to just get in and drive but start out very cautious and then get more cautious. Never be in a hurry and get out and see what you need to do before you back up. I looked for nothing less than Newmar and settled on the Dutch Star 4090 when I saw it. It's hard to not be impressed in these coaches.
rvftnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The DSDP's are a great value, which is why Newmar sells so many. We should have bought another rather than the Magna. You know how 20/20 hind sight is!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #10

It can't be stressed enough....MAINTENANCE RECORDS. It doesn't matter the make, if it hasn't been taken care of. But A Dutch Star can be a great coach. We've been full time in one for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #11

More Dutch Star Kudos

We found our new DS on line at a out of state dealer. It fit our needs perfectly. Since the dealer was 800 miles from home I confirmed in advance that Newmar would authorize our preferred local shop to do any warranty work. Newmar stepped right up when a couple warranty issues came up including a complete new set of HWH levelers. My wife likes the convenience of the stacked Whirlpool washer and dryer. I really like the Comfort Drive as well as the power of the ISL. We also like our optional window over the kitchen sink.

I highly recommend a Progressive Industries 50 amp surge protector be installed at time of purchase. It is more than a surge protector because it also protects against high or low voltage, ground faults and open neutral circuits. Ours has already saved our electronic equipment by sacrificing itself during an electrical storm. Progressive Industries sent our replacement parts to our next campground free of charge to us.

We are delighted with our Dutch Star. We are always looking forward to our next trip.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #12
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
Currently we have a Tiffin gasser but was at the Pittsburgh RV show and got a first hand look at a Dutch Star and was looking into feed back as to finding a gently used unit and how DS owners feel about their unit. Wanted to see if there is a Newmar Owners Classified forum.
Really blown away by the Dutch Star.

We were equally impressed with the Dutch Star but couldn't quite afford the brand new, customized to our exact specifications, 2015 we really wanted. We instead special ordered a fully loaded, all electric 2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 and couldn't be happier.

I suggest you also widen your search to the Newmar Ventana as well. The only things we couldn't get in the Ventana at the time were the IFS, side radiator and 450HP (had to "settle" with the same engine with 400HP and identical torque).

2016 is a different ball game and Newmar has further differentiated the DS from the VT with the HWH full wall slide and the option of fully tiled slide outs ("more floor").

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are a lot or reasons you see so many Dutch Stars on the road. You get a very nice coach with a lot of bang for the buck.

I love my DS and would buy another one.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Dutch Star

I have a 2000 DSDP with a Cat and 6 speed Allison. Some of you may think this is a old coach but the quality and details are amazing. For what they sell for used they keep and hold their value more than any MH out there. For what my Dutch Star is worth, I could get into a 2006, something else, but NO WAY I love my Dutch Star. When I do upgrade I'll stay with Newmar Dutch Star, I would love to get a 2007.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star