Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

In-Depth Review TireMinderís Smart & TM-77 Systems - Mike Mas

Hello IRV2 Members - Seems as if TPMS are becoming common place with RV's. While I originally planned this review on the integration of a Pressure Pro system on my Newmar New Aire, I happened to go in a different direction after I found out my cost would be almost double of a stand alone system. Therefore, I opted for a well known system called TireMinder. This in-depth review shows both TireMinder's Smart model and as well as their TM-77.

Enjoy - Mike

Click on the link below for the story!

http://rotory.com/coach/tire

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Your correct in that once you use a TPMS you'll love it. Nice job !!

I have had both Tire Minder and Pressure Pro. The issue I had with TM was I often got a blank screen when I checked the pressure. So I was not sure if the sensor was communicating with the monitor. I like to know it's working. That's why I prefer Pressure Pro, it always gives me a readout.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

Another great review. I opted for the EEZTire System based on recommendations on this forum. Systems look similar but no option to relay pressures to an iPhone with EEZTire.

Looks like both system use an RFID radio operating in the 433 MHZ range. I definitely have interference problems with the EEZTire System an the NA starter key FOB. I checked with EEZTire and they confirmed their display box has an active RFID radio that is always on pinging to find new tire sensors. No way to turn it off. Apparently the starter button is also an active RFID emitter always looking for a passive RFID chip with 3' of the button.

Bottom line these two devices keep stepping on each other in my NA resulting in a rather constant "Check FOB" message on the Optiview display any time the coach is going under 20 mph.

The only solution I have found so far is to move the EEZTire monitor clear over to the passenger side pillar to keep it from interfering with the starter FOB function.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #4

Thanks IdleUp, that's a great write up!

I too just invested in the TM-77 and so far so good.

I had one issue with one of the valve stem extensions and the sensor. Turns out there was a small nick on the extension valve stem which caused a very slow leak.

The other day I was getting things unwinterized as we were heading out for a short weekend junt and was sort of topping things off (making sure all tires were at the EXACT pressure..just so I could get to learn more about the system as this was my 1st trip using the TPMS). When I manually checked one of the tires for pressure, I thought my digital gauge had just quit as it was 4PSI. "Huh..that's strange" I thought. I grabbed my 'old fashion' gauge and checked and it didn't even register.

Once I removed the sensor so I could add air I was able to see the tiny nick. To verify, I put some soapy water in a spray bottle and checked and sure enough after putting in 95 pounds of air, I saw a bunch of bubbles slowly form. This is something I SHOULD have done right from the start. In fact, after REALLY reading the manual, they even suggest doing that!

So lesson learned, AND I checked all the rest of them as well.

Here's a pic of the valve extension: (it's actually a poor picture..but you can sort of see the nick)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vavle-stem.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	203025  
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post

I have had both Tire Minder and Pressure Pro. The issue I had with TM was I often got a blank screen when I checked the pressure. So I was not sure if the sensor was communicating with the monitor. I like to know it's working. That's why I prefer Pressure Pro, it always gives me a readout.
Hey I love your user name ByeThe Way - The Tireminder has a Auto- Search function, that dumps all the data in the receiver and forces the sensors for new information so - when you start out, you'll know everything is good. If it does not receive the data - you'll get an eroor and it shows the offending sensor.

Regards - Mike
Old 05-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Another great review. I opted for the EEZTire System based on recommendations on this forum. Systems look similar but no option to relay pressures to an iPhone with EEZTire.

Looks like both system use an RFID radio operating in the 433 MHZ range. I definitely have interference problems with the EEZTire System an the NA starter key FOB. I checked with EEZTire and they confirmed their display box has an active RFID radio that is always on pinging to find new tire sensors. No way to turn it off. Apparently the starter button is also an active RFID emitter always looking for a passive RFID chip with 3' of the button.

Bottom line these two devices keep stepping on each other in my NA resulting in a rather constant "Check FOB" message on the Optiview display any time the coach is going under 20 mph.
Quote:
The only solution I have found so far is to move the EEZTire monitor clear over to the passenger side pillar to keep it from interfering with the starter FOB function.
Wow that's a bummer - I wonder what the exact frequency is on the ignition. The frequency of this system is 433.92 MHz. do you know what the EEZ tire is?
Old 05-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post

Wow that's a bummer - I wonder what the exact frequency is on the ignition. The frequency of this system is 433.92 MHz. do you know what the EEZ tire is?

I may be wrong but I think there is only one set of frequencies for RFID in the 400 MHz area. EEZ confirmed they are in that band. I have read that most ignition active RFID's are chirping at that frequency.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
I may be wrong but I think there is only one set of frequencies for RFID in the 400 MHz area. EEZ confirmed they are in that band. I have read that most ignition active RFID's are chirping at that frequency.

Turbo,

Hello - Both our TPMS units are on the same frequency. They might be using different channels in the packets.

I found this on the EEZ site.

Mike

https://www.eezrvproducts.com/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.17.07 AM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	203079  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post

ByTheWay - Sorry I missed your post, I don't feel its a sensor if the screen was blank, if a sensor goes out you'll get a red circle where the tire appears or a NO5 or a No Signal on the display.

I've called TireMinder a few times with questions, give them a call, they will figure it out. Here the number : (772) 463-6522

Mike
Old 05-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
cwg

Once again you have given the readers of this forum some excellent advice and a great presentation. It is of particular help to me as my original Valor system batteries inside the wheel are growing weak. This article will help me make an informed decision as to which path to travel for replacement.

Thank you again for your insight.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:

Turbo,

Hello - Both our TPMS units are on the same frequency. They might be using different channels in the packets.

I found this on the EEZ site.

Mike

https://www.eezrvproducts.com/

Had a good chat with the tech rep at EEZ. The issue appears to be an "active" versus passive RFID transmitter in the EEZ head unit. Active RFID in the head unit periodically chirps but only to look for the tire sensors for pairing. Of course pairing is only required to set up the tire sensors so it is pointless to have the EEZ head unit constantly chirping. Tech rep confirmed there is no way to turn off the RFID active chirp short of shutting down the EZZ head unit.

Tech Rep confirmed they have never seen this before in a coach which makes sense since the NA is the first to use a keyless ignition.

In any event it appears the RFID in the EZZ head unit periodically blocks the ability of the active RFID in the push button ignition to ping the key FOB when it is within 3', thus the error message "Check FOB" shows up on OptiView.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #12

Turbo have you tried leaving the fob in the small dash pocket on top of the dash. That’s were I keep mine, if I leave my fob in my pocket I keep getting the warning before I used the TPMS.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Turbo have you tried leaving the fob in the small dash pocket on top of the dash. Thatís were I keep mine, if I leave my fob in my pocket I keep getting the warning before I used the TPMS.
I have tried putting the FOB everywhere, including sticking it to Velcro right next to the button. The only thing that worked was to place the EEZ display as far away as I can and still read it. I still get the occasional "Check FOB" message but much less frequently.

Apparently there is an antenna somewhere for the key FOB. Not clear from documentation if that antenna is for the door lock/unlock function of the FOB versus the start button activation feature. My guess is it is not.

I think there is an active RFID beacon in the button always pinging for a key FOB reply (part of the draw pulling down the chassis battery too fast). When you start the coach it apparently continues to ping for the FOB. When there is no answer, either because the FOB is more than 3' away or because of interference we get the "Check FOB" message.

I want the ignition key back. I see no useful purpose for a key FOB in the NA. It is just a pain in ass.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

Had the TM on my Class C and loved it for ease of use and no / few glitches.

Now have it on the Class A w/ Tag so had to add sensors. Also changed all batteries so we'd be starting out fresh. Now I get frequent No5 readings w/ the beep / beep / beep and red flashing light. I change out the battery, and all is fine until another tire does the same thing.

I read post # 8 above and realize I DO have one of those inside/ outside thermometer / monitors so will try removing the batteries next time we use the coach to see if that solves the problem.

Otherwise, love the TM system!!

Tags
ems