Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Induction Cooktop

We have a 2013 DutchStar with a propane cooktop. Would like to remove that and the propane tank, replacing the cooktop with a True Induction 2-Burner inset.(1800W at full power) (Approximately $300) The factory wants over $7000 to do this conversation as they say it involves removing and replacing the entire countertop along with some electrical wiring. Has anyone done this themselves or had a "RV Renovator" type company do it? If so, please tell me about that. I'd be very interested in any "code violations" regarding the electrical. We have a microwave that certainly couldn't be on the same circuit. Thank you, George Bist (360) 670-9328 gcbist@gmail.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

There are many threads concerning induction cook tops.

Before you make a major change have you considered a couple of portable inductions units such as the Nu Wave ?

I can understand wanting to keep a show piece RV that way but for real functionality the portable units are hard to beat.

We keep the cover on our propane stove and it is there for backup if ever needed. The portable units allow me to place them anywhere on the counter which is really helpful in utilizing the space. With a built in unit you are stuck with the location,

I did add a new outlet because two of them on the same circuit through the inverter would trip it.

The portables can be stored or stacked. I don't use the second one often but it sure is handy at times. They are terrific for using outside too.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The true induction unit that Newmar puts in new Dutch Stars is a two burner, portable unit. Its frame is set IN to the counter, and Newmar makes flush countertop covers for it. All that work is likely the cause of the high price. I also bought a singe burner portable unit because I cook a lot. HTH!

- CC
Old 12-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There are threads that discuss and show the installation of induction cooktops in existing counter tops. Several of the installations are very clever and look really good.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did it in my CC a couple months ago. Isn't that hard to do, most of the time it took was burning the 5.5 gal propane tank to empty it since I didn't want to just vent it into the air. Takes a long time to burn 4 gal or so with only a 10,000 and 12,000 BTU burners!
Relatively simple once that was done although I did have to cut some counter and fabricate some spacers and supports.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
The true induction unit that Newmar puts in new Dutch Stars is a two burner, portable unit. Its frame is set IN to the counter, and Newmar makes flush countertop covers for it. All that work is likely the cause of the high price. I also bought a singe burner portable unit because I cook a lot. HTH!

- CC
There is a very slight difference between the insert and the tabletop unit. I used the insert unit but even so it came with silicone feet on the bottom.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
George.....Here you go......I removed my propane cooktop, installed an induction unit and removed the propane tank.

Conversion to All Electric - Induction Cooktop Install

If you have questions, you can PM and I will give you my phone number. It was a pretty easy job, except removing the full propane tank.....couldn't get anyone to empty it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My propane tank is only 5.5 gal so pretty small, but they put it on top of the diesel tank with only a door to access it. I need to look it over closer when I get a chance as I would really like to get rid of it but not at the expense of dropping the 150 gal fuel tank.
If I had the 40 gal (32 usable) that Newmar put in our '02 DSDP I'd want it removed for the weight savings and storage space.
First picture is before and the second is when I just set the new cooktop in to judge clearance.
I thought about putting it flush in the cover but it was two pieces so I decided to just put it in place of the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	147054   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	147055  

Old 12-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
George.....Here you go......I removed my propane cooktop, installed an induction unit and removed the propane tank.

Conversion to All Electric - Induction Cooktop Install

If you have questions, you can PM and I will give you my phone number. It was a pretty easy job, except removing the full propane tank.....couldn't get anyone to empty it.
Wow, REALLY nice job, Don!

- CC
Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

George, after getting all this information, both from here and the other site, are you still going to convert your stove top?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My propane tank is only 5.5 gal so pretty small, but they put it on top of the diesel tank with only a door to access it. I need to look it over closer when I get a chance as I would really like to get rid of it but not at the expense of dropping the 150 gal fuel tank.
If I had the 40 gal (32 usable) that Newmar put in our '02 DSDP I'd want it removed for the weight savings and storage space.
First picture is before and the second is when I just set the new cooktop in to judge clearance.
I thought about putting it flush in the cover but it was two pieces so I decided to just put it in place of the old one.
Nice...I have the same NuWave 2 burner unit. I love it and have not used my propane stove since acquiring. However, I did nudge one of my burner settings from "off" to "lite" while cleaning without realizing. The propane leaked out slowly over months and when I really needed it for my furnace, my tank was empty! Doh! Wish there was a very easy way to take out the gas burners to eliminate the possibility of a repeat.
idocdlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #12

Dawn, why not just install a shut off valve between the gas line and the burner?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #13

Heartland RV Club
True Induction also makes a counter top 2 burner unit with a 4 foot power cord. We have one that we store under the passenger sofa and use outdoors for cooking. We also have the factory installed induction unit in the counter top, and can't tell the difference between the two. If you're looking for a quick/less expensive solution perhaps this may be the way to go