Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Info on Reelcraft auto hose system on 05 MADP

Have a 05 MADP with a reel craft auto retract hose reel and the hose cracked at the end
It's the original hose so I want to replace it .
I called Newmar and they want over $200 for a garden hose !
Has anyone replaced theirs with a regular hose ?
It's below freezing here in Connecticut and we are leaving for Texas in 2 weeks .
I might just cut off the first 10 feet and put a new end on for now .
Any other ideas ? Thanks for the anticipated help .
Billy & Jeannie in the sub zero. Northeast !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would call one of our sponsors about a replacement hose.
You would probably have it before you leave.
Have a safe trip and keep the heat on.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I can't imagine that any high quality garden hose wouldn't work just as fine. At least in a pinch! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
www.reelcraft.com
check out their RV water hose reel and give them a call.
Replacing just the damaged hose end may be the best solution in your case but if not......

Ours was leaking at the swivel connection inside the reel.
The swivel replacement was a new improved design plastic one vs the removed ss inferior design one we had on our 1999MADP.
The hose was/is specific to reelcraft as the other end you don't easily see is not the standard garden hose type end.
For replacement the loose end of the hose will not go thru the 4 exit roller cage so the hose reel must be wound up on the spring and the other end of the hose is connected thru the roller cage and on to the reel swivel. The following are the part#'s and what we paid in Dec2012. Took 1 hr to replace swivel and hose and did not require removing the reel from the rig.

601062 HOSE ASM 35', FOR WATER HOSEREEL 1 12/7/2012 $ 71.82 A1-HR1004 HOSE BUMPER, FOR WATER HOSEREEL 1 12/7/2012 $ 9.34 S600999 SWIVEL ASM, FOR WATER HOSEREEL (REPLACES SS ONE 261846) 1 12/7/2012 $ 115.85
Old 01-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #5

Funny you should bring this subject up, I just replaced mine yesterday. It is not quite as painless as I would have hoped; but, not daunting.

I replaced mine with 25 foot 5/8 hose which is one reason that I had a bit of a problem, the design is for 1/2 inch hose.

The end of the hose is not a standard garden hose fitting but a 1/2 male mib? Thread (regular plumbing kind). I cut that end of the new hose off and replaced it with a barb to 1/2 inch fitting.

The original hose had about 6 inches of spring surrounding the hose to prevent kinking, and to support the hose for the U clamp that secures the hose to the reel. If you are using new 1/2 hose you can reuse the existing spring (install before installing the barb), I had to jury rig for the 5/8 hose.
All fit back together fine and seems to work great.

Btw I removed the reel from the bay to do this which made it easier, however; there is an aluminum channel under the plastic bay liner that the reel is anchored to. Mine was siliconed in place but the silicone let go :-( meaning I had to pull out the top layer of liner so that I could reset the channel in the right place.

Soooooo as in many cases an hour project landed up taking about 3 and several trips to Lowes :-) lol.

Have fun-Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have been wanting to do mine also Steve, thanks for the post. I am going to do the same as you did........some parts at my local True Value won't come close to what Newmar wants.......
Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 AM   #7

I will order the hose but think I will just repair the end until I get to warmer weather thank for all the info .
Old 01-27-2014, 04:48 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Order the hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsilvester View Post
I will order the hose but think I will just repair the end until I get to warmer weather thank for all the info .
Where are you going to order the replacement hose from? Or are you going to order a new reel? Have you contacted Reelcraft about a replacement hose? Please let me know what you find out and do....
Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

I replaced the hose, and overcame the manufacturer's attempt to force me to buy a replacement hose from them, at an outrageous cost. There is a thread that discusses this issue.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Vsilvester, just a point of logic. I have an 05 MADP and hardly ever need to pull my hose out to the stop. First issue, cutting off a few inches probably will have NO effect on its usefulness. Second issue, how to put a replacement end on the cut hose. Most manufacturers of any kind of hose use an OEM barbed fitting stuck in the end of the hose ends and then secures the end with usually a brass crimped sleeve. Simply use a pair of metal snips (or wire cutters) to cut the edge of the sleeve and then "peel" the brass sleeve back to the end (called a female hose bib in plumbing language) and cut off old hose to recover the original fitting. Slip a purchased hose clamp over MH hose, pour a cup of hot water over end of hose, push recovered fitting into softened hose end and tighten hose clamp. Notes: this can be temporary or permanent fix; smaller clamp in physical size and length makes installation neater, i.e., select a hose clamp that just fits the diameter of your hose (1/2") and is narrow in width to look neat. Hope this helps. Jim