Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Marketing is a strange thing so sometimes there is no discernible method to the madness. LOL

I've never bought a new unit to customize but looking at the 2015 brochures I see the 3 A/C option only for 43' models. Who knows, maybe it can be done on a 40' model, maybe not.

That being said, I doubt it is possible because the 40' models only have the 14.6K front axle (compared to the 17K for the 43' models) and I seriously think that by the time you add and A/C unit and the larger generator the front axle load would become marginal if not totally unacceptable. Of course, that assumes the larger generator would be mandatory. If not than I'm less concerned about front axle weight. Without the larger generator use of 3 A/C units would be probably limited to 2 units at a time unless on shore power. Of course, even that depends on what else is running.

Also, after seeing some of the ceiling designs I would wonder if a 3rd A/C could be properly ducted? Then again, I have heard of other owners complain about the newer ceilings blocking air flow even with 3 units.

Upgrading to the 15M Penguin heat pumps would certainly be wise. We have them in our older 43' model and so far they have done the job but honestly, we haven't had to test them in the extreme heat and humidity to any great extent. The few times we did have it tested in near 100* weather we made sure we had the A/C on early in the day, fan set to HIGH instead of AUTO and a host of other things like awnings out and such. On those days we felt comfortable but certainly could feel the warmth on the sunny side of the coach if sitting next to it. A small fan on that side of the coach alleviated that problem.

BTW...the Ventana comparison of allowing 3 A/C units might be apples and oranges, at least from a weight and balance perspective. The Ventana uses the same front 14K axle for 40' and up coaches but as I read the brochures the Ventana doesn't offer a larger generator. Instead it appears to use an EMS to limit loads and limiting use to only 2 A/C units on the generator or at least if there are any other significant loads. That would be in comparison to the Dutch Star's larger generator allowing all 3 A/C units to run on generator.

My 2 cents.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #16

BarnesL - had a 2006 43 ft Dutchstar with only 2 heat pumps but they were the 15K BTU ones. Spent a memorable few days in Page, AZ in 100+ heat in August. The coach was comfortably cool. In our 02 Dutchstar we ordered upgraded roof insulation but when we ordered the 06 Dutchstar Newmar told me they installed more/improved insulation as standard. That being said, if I had a choice I'd opt for the 3rd unit. The unit is only a couple hundred pounds so it really doesn't add that much weight. Again, don't trust the dealer. Call Newmar directly about adding the 3rd unit.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn5 View Post
...That being said, if I had a choice I'd opt for the 3rd unit. The unit is only a couple hundred pounds so it really doesn't add that much weight....
I'm not trying to twist this thread into a discussion about axle weights but...it is related.

The biggest issue on axle weights for DPs always seems to be on the front axle. Now, if someone travels light then that can mitigate front axle loading but if not...

The 2007 version of my coach offered 3 A/C units and when I found that out I was kinda wishing I new that and maybe looked for one. After loading my coach and living in it for over 2 years, purely from a weight and balance aspect it would have been dicey at best. As it is, I am already running 100# above my max front axle weight per Newmar but NOT Spartan and my tires support it all. The extra A/C unit would probably put 100# more and compound the problem. BTW...my front axle is rated by Spartan at 14.6K but Newmar derated it to 14.2K because of...lawyer input? LOL

My overarching point is that based on the axle weight rating of the 40' DSDP of 14.6K the OP would be well advised to be cautious before asking for the 3rd A/C assuming it could be done. There would be no way to know the final results until the coach was built and weighed. Heck, even the same coach without the 3rd A/C might have a challenge on front axle weight depending on the rest of the order.

All that being said, a 40' DSDP MIGHT not be as challenged up front. It has a 100 gal fuel tank instead of 150 gal saving about 350#.

There would be nothing more dissatisfying than to get the 3rd A/C and find it greatly affected useful loading of the coach.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think if the OP wants information about axle weights he will ask for it in a separate thread.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club