RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

Information on DEF and gear oil change

After getting our 1st Newmar that uses DEF learned a couple items that wanted to share with irv2 Newmar owners. DEF has a 6 months shelve life so large purchases wouldn't be a wise idea. Aged DEF can cause problems for engine and check engine light coming on. Be careful when purchasing DEF that the security seal isn't broken or missing. There have been diesel owners who have found that DEF seal missing and filled with water that appears was returned to store for refund.
If replacing rear end gear oil the best gear oil is specification SAE J2360. Just as you should purchase SAE TES-295 automatic transmission for your Allison Trans.

tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
After getting our 1st Newmar that uses DEF learned a couple items that wanted to share with irv2 Newmar owners. DEF has a 6 months shelve life so large purchases wouldn't be a wise idea. Aged DEF can cause problems for engine and check engine light coming on. Be careful when purchasing DEF that the security seal isn't broken or missing. There have been diesel owners who have found that DEF seal missing and filled with water that appears was returned to store for refund.
If replacing rear end gear oil the best gear oil is specification SAE J2360. Just as you should purchase SAE TES-295 automatic transmission for your Allison Trans.
Have to disagree with the 6 month DEF number. Here is a quote from one of the DEF manufacturers:

"TerraCair ultrapure diesel exhaust fluid has a shelf life that is a function of average storage temperature and time. Between average storage temperatures of 68° F and 86° F, TerraCair has a shelf life of 12 - 48 months. Below 68° F, the shelf life of TerraCair is virtually unlimited. TerraCair will freeze at 12° F, but thaws quickly without deterioration. This data was developed by Terra's Technical Service and Product Development Lab."

I use Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil in my axle, which complies with J2360. The big advantage is you change the oil less frequently.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good stuff...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171102_095529.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	202973  
Old 05-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Have to disagree with the 6 month DEF number. Here is a quote from one of the DEF manufacturers:

"TerraCair ultrapure diesel exhaust fluid has a shelf life that is a function of average storage temperature and time. Between average storage temperatures of 68° F and 86° F, TerraCair has a shelf life of 12 - 48 months. Below 68° F, the shelf life of TerraCair is virtually unlimited. TerraCair will freeze at 12° F, but thaws quickly without deterioration. This data was developed by Terra's Technical Service and Product Development Lab."
Did they happen to list shelf life for above 86 ?
Here in the phx. desert some nights don't get that low....
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ever since the topic of DEF having a short shelf life has been discussed, I have been trying to find an expiration date printed on the DEF that i am purchasing. I have not been able to determine an expiration date on any of the Blue DEF product that I have purchased. Does anyone know how to find out he expiration date of a specific container of DEF?
2BU Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Information on DEF and gear oil change

I really don’t worry about shelf life if you routinely avoid extremely high temps. It is really not a new product, we used it for fertilizer at least 50 years ago and called it Urea. Percent formulation could vary from 28% to 32% but otherwise same product and about the only thing that affected it was it tended to evaporate to some degree during very hot weather and you could then find some of the white crystals on the equipment. The product we now call DEF likely uses purer water to dilute the Urea to the proper 31.5% formulation and is hopefully handled more carefully to keep contaminants out of it. All JMHO
Old 05-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
Did they happen to list shelf life for above 86 ?
Here in the phx. desert some nights don't get that low....
At camp Freightliner, we were taught that heat is the enemy of DEF. In very hot regions like Phoenix & Las Vegas, life span can be less than 6 months. In moderate regions, expect to get 18 months life span. It was emphasized to manage your DEF tank level based on your usage. Get to know your system and maintain the tank level based on planned usage.

The freeze point mentioned before is accurate and frozen DEF is not harmed—no deterioration.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #8

Back in 2012 when I had my first diesel requiring DEF the same issues seemed to come up reference aging out.

I never ran my DEF tank all the way down before filling it up just in case I did add some substandard DEF. I like to run it down to between 1/4 and 1/2 before adding.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
At camp Freightliner, we were taught that heat is the enemy of DEF. In very hot regions like Phoenix & Las Vegas, life span can be less than 6 months. In moderate regions, expect to get 18 months life span. It was emphasized to manage your DEF tank level based on your usage. Get to know your system and maintain the tank level based on planned usage.

The freeze point mentioned before is accurate and frozen DEF is not harmed—no deterioration.

Seems Goofy that for a fluid that deteriorates with hot temperatures that Newmar and other manufactures would store the DEF tank perfectly situated in the hottest position on the bus, right alongside the radiator and adjacent the hot engine.

I'm certainly not a emission engineer, but its my guess the myth of the fluid breaking down in 6 months is mostly fake news from the companies who sell it. You certainly won't be seeing me dumping or changing fluid for expiration reasons.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 1.18.08 PM.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	203192  
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post

I'm certainly not a emission engineer, but its my guess the myth of the fluid breaking down in 6 months is mostly fake news from the companies who sell it. You certainly won't be seeing me dumping or changing fluid for expiration reasons.
You’d be surprised, I certainly was. We had a 3,000 gallon tank of bleach at work that sat idle for 9 months (black poly tank outdoors in Calif.). When I tested it for concentration, it was a 0. I thought my portable meter was broken, so I took a sample back the the lab and got the same result on a better instrument. I called the manufacturer and they verified my result, the deterioration was real.

The Urea in DEF is volatile and will need to be actively managed in hot climates. I’m with you regarding not dumping DEF, but I plan to be smart about what volume I carry in my tank.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
You’d be surprised, I certainly was. We had a 3,000 gallon tank of bleach at work that sat idle for 9 months (black poly tank outdoors in Calif.). When I tested it for concentration, it was a 0. I thought my portable meter was broken, so I took a sample back the the lab and got the same result on a better instrument. I called the manufacturer and they verified my result, the deterioration was real.
Quote:
The Urea in DEF is volatile and will need to be actively managed in hot climates. I’m with you regarding not dumping DEF, but I plan to be smart about what volume I carry in my tank.
Aegon,

Thanks for the update - see now we have an absolute good reason to use our RV's more often, so our DEF does not expire! LOL

While I have not kept track of how much DEF I put in my tank on my NA, I can tell ya it seems I'm dumping gallons and gallons, this thing is sucking it down quickly. Has anyone been gauging how much they are using verses how much they should be using?

Mike

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes Idleup, About 4% on my VT. I had been told to expect filling once or twice per year and was quite surprised at what I saw when I took my first trip this year. I then read in this forum that changes were made in 2018 to meet new standards and caused an increase in usage. I don't mind but as others have noted, increasing the amount used with no change in tank capacity may not be the smartest thing to do. But on the way back from OH I intentionally calculated the usage and was right on 4%!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BU Bears View Post
Ever since the topic of DEF having a short shelf life has been discussed, I have been trying to find an expiration date printed on the DEF that i am purchasing. I have not been able to determine an expiration date on any of the Blue DEF product that I have purchased. Does anyone know how to find out he expiration date of a specific container of DEF?
There are YouTube videos on the expiration code on DEF. There is a code that you can read to find the date it was made. Code xxxx2018124. xxxx is batch, then subtract 1year from this date (2017), 124 is the Julian calendar day.
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis

Name:	A21E3B38-6F6E-4DD5-80B3-4B212F23F802.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	203264

Here is the code from my last Blue DEF box. To correct my previous post.

CP19312 7 0142...(19-1=18) made in 2018. On the Julian date of 312= Nov 8...0142 is batch #.

BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote