RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi anyone have any experience wiring in a KVH or Winegard Satellite antenna for Directv HD recievers? I have a Directv HD "tivo" receiver that I now use with a 3 LNB dish on a tripod. It works well but I am now looking for a more permanent "built-in" receiver solution.

Also, I really am looking only for fixed location systems not in motion.

I believe the 2003 scottsdale came pre-wired for a Satellite antenna but not HD??? Anyone have any ideas? (remember my budget just took a hit for the 2007 Ford Escape Toad, hitch etc.)

Seriously, this would be a project that could score me BIG POINTS with my favorite "girlfriend" Sue.

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi anyone have any experience wiring in a KVH or Winegard Satellite antenna for Directv HD recievers? I have a Directv HD "tivo" receiver that I now use with a 3 LNB dish on a tripod. It works well but I am now looking for a more permanent "built-in" receiver solution.

Also, I really am looking only for fixed location systems not in motion.

I believe the 2003 scottsdale came pre-wired for a Satellite antenna but not HD??? Anyone have any ideas? (remember my budget just took a hit for the 2007 Ford Escape Toad, hitch etc.)

Seriously, this would be a project that could score me BIG POINTS with my favorite "girlfriend" Sue.

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
Old 05-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #3

I ordered the hi-def wiring and the KVH R5 in motion antenna. Had the dealer install a hi-def receiver, and it worked for a month. When it no longer worked, we were traveling and the opinions of those who looked at it varied. We got back home, and discovered a nut/bolt fell out of the KVH unit.
It then worked fine for another few weeks. Again, opinions varied (on the road). Back home, was told I need a new receiver; got one, and it worked great...for three weeks. Now I'm waiting for my third receiver(all in less than a year).
What would I recommend...stick to what works, and wait for this new technology to iron out its problems.
We have used cable(at parks), but it doesn't offer all the channels we like.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I agree, I've had my KVH dish worked on several times and right now I'm waiting on DirecTV to send me my third receiver. When it works it's great, when it doesn't it's very frustrating.
Let's not even talk about the hours spent on the phone with DirecTV!

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Points well-taken and noted!

One of the main reasons that I was going to non-motion antennas was the fact that the hard drives in the units (I have the DTV HR10-250 modded to 1000 gig storage) don't like being bounced around on the highway. And, besides, I can't legally run mine while in motion as the screen is viewable from the driver's seat.

I am going to see if I can figure out how to run another coax in "parallel" with the factory cable install. Then I could at least get the cable clutter out of sight from the antenna to the receiver. I am looking at replacing the VHS tape unit with my DTV receiver. It looks like it should be "doable".

Another thing I am trying to figure out is a flatscreen replacement for my Sony TV. Right now I lug along a Dell Flatscreen from my computer, works but again housekeeping looks bad

In the meantime, thanks agian and I'll let everyone know how I am doing with this.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #6

Just some info for you on what I'm using. I have a Trac Star in-motion setup for HDTV and I have DirecTV. This is my third Trac Star system in three coaches I've owned. Simple to install.
They seem to be very dependable and they have very good customer service if needed. By the way. They haven't changed their pricing in a few years either.

Bob
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:35 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info Bob. I'll look into it.