Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Installing a LED light strip?

When I was at Newmar the end of Nov they were going to install a LED light strip on the awning tube. They couldn't get the part as it wasn't available on the Carefree web site. I didn't think of it until I got home as I pursued the part...but of course, it's available on Amazon. So Newmar didn't install it. I bought it, now have it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to install this either on the awning tube, under the kitchen slide, or some way to get better lighting on the side of the MH?

Here is what I bought.

Any suggestions on a place to install, how to wire it up, etc. is appreciated.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 04:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
When I was at Newmar the end of Nov they were going to install a LED light strip on the awning tube. They couldn't get the part as it wasn't available on the Carefree web site. I didn't think of it until I got home as I pursued the part...but of course, it's available on Amazon. So Newmar didn't install it. I bought it, now have it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to install this either on the awning tube, under the kitchen slide, or some way to get better lighting on the side of the MH?

Here is what I bought.

Any suggestions on a place to install, how to wire it up, etc. is appreciated.
Can you describe the actual light strip for me. Is the strip encased in a rubber type material? Is the casing slightly rounded on one side, flat edge on the underside with the 3M tape?
Thanks!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's flat with 3M tape. I'm more interested in how to get the wire inside to a power source (12V).
Old 12-11-2017, 05:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Neal...

My goal...and I have no idea how to achieve it is to place the LED controller in the storage bay just ahead of the pegboard bay. I would like to run it’s own power over from an unused fuse position in the block behind the power cord reel. That’s the easy part.

To begin...I would like to have a strip behind the lower fascia on each of the door side slide outs. My problem is...how to route the wire from the LEDs to the controller. It appears there may be a way to run the wire from the kitchen slide up thru the outer rear corner of the slideout floor...to the area encapsulating wires and such to the right of the sink under the counter... And in the bedroom...try to figure out how to route the wire up into the bed and back down into the basement area.

Then...eventually, add a second controller to do the ground effects all the way around under the coach like Rick is doing on another thread...

That way I can have contrasting colors for each of those effects...

I thought about the strip in the awning...but attaching it to the side of the coach under the awning isn’t going to work as it will just illuminate the top of the kitchen slide...and placing it on the actual rollout part of the awning would require replacing the awning, or routing wires thru the side seam of the fabric. And truth be known...we don’t always deploy our awning.

Let me know if you have found an easy route for the wires ...

I am leaning toward the BlueTooth controllable lights like Boogey Lights. I mean I already use my phone for the SeeLevelII, and Victron SmartSolar interface...may as well control LED lighting.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I, ehemm, forgot about the security light on the passenger side of the coach which lights that side nicely. Now if only I had an on/off switch other then the astronaut section of the bed.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
I, ehemm, forgot about the security light on the passenger side of the coach which lights that side nicely. Now if only I had an on/off switch other then the astronaut section of the bed.
I installed mine on the slide out to avoid any damage to the awning as well as being able to use them with the awning in. I ran the wire tucked behind the side of the slide out, across the bottom and then drilled a hole up to the external TV outlet. That way I could use all the colors and the remote.

Hope that helps!
Jeff & Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ

Here the parts I ordered from Amazon. Overall costs approx $75 and about three hours of labor.

Light Tracks with Clear lens - these really made the job easy by placing a chalk line to keep the tracks straight (i initially used a level but forgot the coach may not be level so I used the slide awning brackets as my guide)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RGBW Extension wire. (Be sure to get the four pin if your lights are four pin). I ran the wire down the left side of the slide out, to the bottom and drilled a hole up through the bottom into the TV box and plugged in the lights into the outlet.

LED Lights (be sure to get the black taping wire if your coach is painted dark in the area of the lights)

Double sided tape (I used this to put the light tracks on and then secured them with two screws on each track and don’t forget to insert silicone on each screw to avoid water leaking).

Lastly be sure to get some black silicone to put on the tracks and avoid any water running behind them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA13D02D-14AC-414C-ADB9-9595C33D3526.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	185445   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA9EE5C9-B153-422B-92AE-4607D8865912.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	185446  

Jburklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The links don't work, please check. Thanks for the post, very nice!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #9

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburklo View Post
I installed mine on the slide out to avoid any damage to the awning as well as being able to use them with the awning in. I ran the wire tucked behind the side of the slide out, across the bottom and then drilled a hole up to the external TV outlet. That way I could use all the colors and the remote.

Hope that helps!
Jeff & Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ

Here the parts I ordered from Amazon. Overall costs approx $75 and about three hours of labor.

Light Tracks with Clear lens - these really made the job easy by placing a chalk line to keep the tracks straight (i initially used a level but forgot the coach may not be level so I used the slide awning brackets as my guide)

RGBW Extension wire. (Be sure to get the four pin if your lights are four pin). I ran the wire down the left side of the slide out, to the bottom and drilled a hole up through the bottom into the TV box and plugged in the lights into the outlet.

LED Lights (be sure to get the black taping wire if your coach is painted dark in the area of the lights)

Double sided tape (I used this to put the light tracks on and then secured them with two screws on each track and don’t forget to insert silicone on each screw to avoid water leaking).

Lastly be sure to get some black silicone to put on the tracks and avoid any water running behind them.
Cant get he links to work!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you look at the links with the code right after product/ that starts with B0... If you copy and paste just those codes in a reply here we can paste those product codes into the Amazon search and it will find them for us.

Many thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #11

Wow!! Everyone I’m extremely sorry for not seeing this request.

Hope this works!!! If not I also included the Amazon title so you can search for it.

Again sincerely apologize!!!

LightingWill Clear LED Aluminum Channel U Shape 3.3Ft/1M 5 Pack Anodized Black Extrusion for <12mm 5050 3528 LED Flex/Hard Strip Lights with Covers, End Caps, and Mounting Clips TP-U02B5

Color Changing Light Strip, Nexlux 16.4ft LED Strip Lights 5050 SMD RGB LED Flexible Strip Light Black PCB Board Decoration Lighting 44 key IR Remote Controller UL Power Adapter

HitLights Heavy Duty Double Sided Foam Mounting Tape, 32 Feet
Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Do you have a second set of switches above the drivers seat.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:41 AM   #13

On my previous motorhome I was able to tap into the scare light. I removed the bulb and when I turned on the scare lights the LED lights came on. But with this motorhome my kitchen slide does not have a light. I have not thought about it a lot, but I was thinking of drilling through the wall (above the window) and running the wire inside behind the window valance to the outlet at the side of the TV lift. My only concern is the light will shine out more than down.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I just finished a install of LED in my pantry from a mod on another post. Got me to thinking about what you are wanting to do ( slides and awning) trying to figure out the route for wires as well. Only difference is I have a girard awning. Going to call newmar to get wiring diagram for my awning today. Hope they can help me. Good luck.

Tags
install, led, light