Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

Installing Magnum AGS-S in Bay Star

After dry camping in an National Forest Service remote campground last summer we decided we needed, wanted, an Auto Generator Start System. Since our Bay Star is pretty basic it doesn't have one. I also didn't want to put a lot of money into the project. After some research I selected the Magnum AGS-S. This system is a stand alone system and didn't require any update to my existing electrical system. Our coach does have a 600 watt Magnum inverter, pretty much just runs the TV/Entertainment System, as far as I know.
I purchased the AGS-S on Amazon, there's several suppliers. I installed the AGS-S brain, small box approximately 8" x 5" on the side wall, lower left of drivers seat. I used double faced tape. I installed the AGS-S remote engage/test switch using a homemade bracket screwed into a block of wood already install behind the dash, just to the right of the steering column. I didn't want to make any holes anywhere, if I didn't have to. From the AGS-S brains location it's a very short wire run to the Remote Generator Start Switch in the dash. I used Displacement Connectors (see photo) to attach the wires to the Generator Start Switch. There's a good ground wire, Black, with an open spade connector attached to the top of the Remote Generator Start Switch, I used this for my ground wire. I had to run wire to the positive coach/house battery, this took the longest amount of time. Probably took a couple hours for me, the instructions are good, I sure anyone with basic skills could do it.
There may or may not be any pictures, I uploaded them but don't see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnum AGS S installed (640x360).jpg
Views:	299
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	140170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen switch with AGS installed 2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	140171  

grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
grumpytoo, I also added the same to my coach this year. I have my switch located at about the same place as yours. I have found that it gets warm behind the dash with the sun on the front of the coach. I have my temp set as high as it goes. Not sure right now when it will start, but I now it is less than mid-80's. The only annoyance I have found so far is that if it is warm inside and I am still on shore power, it will start the generator anyway.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the purpose of just the AGS is for AC in warm weather the Dometic thermostat has a connector to signal the AGS to start the generator. It will take some research to figure out the wiring. I did not have my system wired that way because I did not know about it until I related the thermostat 2 years ago.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for looking into this problem grumpytoo, others have complained on the house battery discharge problem so your efforts may help others.
Anything, shore power source, with converter, driving the coach or the GEN running will allow the battery charging system, I believe in your case the B.I.M. System will keep all your batteries charged and with the AGS -S you have installed it will start the GEN to bring the batteries up to full charge by the B.I.M.System.
I am going to add this thread to QT's # 3 BAY STAR Section for fellow BS owners, please add any follow up posts on this subject to this thread, thank you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

I too wanted to install the Magnum AGS-S in my Newmar Bay Star. I have a 2014 3103 model and looking at grumpytoo's pictures it matches my switch. The problem I had was which color wire goes to where. I contacted grumpytoo but he has since sold his Bay Star. After emailing Magnum technical support, here is what works for me. The Newmar remote switch shows the following wire colors starting at the bottom, double Blue, Red, space, Brown, Green and a double Red. The wires I used are the bottom red, brown and green from this remote switch. I ran a white wire ( only color wire I could get at Autozone) from the digital meter at the generator and a red and black from the battery bank. Here is how it is wired to the Magnum controller: pins 1 and 8 are vacant, Pin 2 is the white wire from the digital meter, pin 3 is the red from the + terminal of the battery, pin 4 is the - terminal for the battery, pin 5 is the red wire from the Newmar remote (next to the blue wire) and it is the start signal, pin 6 is the brown wire which is the common, pin 7 is green wire which is the stop signal. Once I figured out this setup the AGS started the generator in the test mode and did everything it was supposed to. I hope that this helps anyone else that is trying to figure out the wiring for the AGS.
Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install