RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Installing TV lift

Hello everybody,
Me and my wife Doris are starting the research on motorhomes, and getting rid of all the stuff we have accumulated over the years. So we will have lots of questions. We are thinking of buying a 1-3 years old Dutch Star, Essex or Mountain air. I see many of them have the TV mounted midship 90 degree to the couches? Does not make sense to me. I was wandering if Newmar has a module with the TV lift that can be installed under one of the side windows, or if anyone has done it?
After living on my sailboat, building and flying my own plane with my wife, this will be our next step in life. Hope we like it? Really enjoying reading all of the advice accumulated on this forum.

Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Hello everybody,
Me and my wife Doris are starting the research on motorhomes, and getting rid of all the stuff we have accumulated over the years. So we will have lots of questions. We are thinking of buying a 1-3 years old Dutch Star, Essex or Mountain air. I see many of them have the TV mounted midship 90 degree to the couches? Does not make sense to me. I was wandering if Newmar has a module with the TV lift that can be installed under one of the side windows, or if anyone has done it?
After living on my sailboat, building and flying my own plane with my wife, this will be our next step in life. Hope we like it? Really enjoying reading all of the advice accumulated on this forum.
2015 4369 in Dutch Star and 4568 MA has that already done. As do some of the other models. I'm sure that some of 2015 40' Dutch Stars have that option as well.

Go to Newmar http://www.newmarcorp.com/resources/brochures-archive/
and search the brochures in the model year you want then the model such as MA or Essex and look at the various floor plans. It is labeled as "LED TV on Power Lift".

2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

I'm in the same boat. I have never liked models that have the TV located some place that is 90 degrees to where you're going to sit and watch it. It just doesn't make since. In 2007 - 2009 Newmar made a 4510 model (at least in the Essex line) that has this problem solved. The TV is directly across from the couches (or chairs if you option it that way). I have no clue why they stopped making this floor plan . . . it is the best one I have seen yet IMO.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The following pictures show our televator solution installed in our '05 Mountain Aire a little over a year ago.

This first image shows the new cabinet where the original TV always laid in wait ready to crash into someone's head or shoulder.

Next is the televator cabinet that was installed behind our small couch along the curb side. They needlessly made the cabinet 2" deeper than was required causing the couch to protrude out past the kitchen cupboards about 4". This still leaves ample space for moving back and forth with the slides in.

Next is the televator with the TV raised up. We installed a 40" Samsung Smart TV. They are available in different depths. We chose a very thin and light model which we felt would fit better and possibly travel better. There is a rocker switch behind the teddy bear to raise and lower the TV on 12v power.

Lastly, this is the area across from the TV, with the slide out. We removed the large couch from here and replaced it with two recliners and a small cabinet. These are the same recliners currently used in a number of Newmar coaches, purchased directly from their supplier in Shipshewana, IN.

We had the work done by Countryside Interiors in Junction City, OR. I would not recommend them however as they screwed up a considerable number of items, installed completely wrong cabinets the first time, and missed multiple delivery dates. We are very unhappy with the work they provided and despite the fact that it is far better than the original setup, it is also far less than it could have and should have been.

I would gladly do this renovation again, just with a more professionally run company.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Ron,
That's exactly what I had in mind. I was hoping that Newmar will offer something like that. Your coach looks beautiful.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
TV lift

Adding a TV lift is not difficult, the hardest part may be getting coax cable to it. You can buy a 12V linear actuator on Amazon for about $60.00 depending on the length you need. I used ball bearing drawer sliders, built a little mount to mount the tv to the sliders and it all worked pretty well. Best of luck with your project.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Hello everybody,

Almost ALL of the current and 1-3 Year old Newmar DP floor plans have the main TV mounted on a "televator" directly across from the main couch or recliners.

This was one of the most important considerations for us in choosing a MH floor plan and one of the reasons we have never found a Tiffin that suits our needs.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #8

Amazing more rv's don't have tv in direct line of sight. My Fuzion tv is at 90 degrees to the couch/recliners and looking at dp's, direct line of sight is a must have for us and he ability for kids to watch it while driving
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #9

We did our own on our 05 KSDSP. I would like to have those recliners, but our dual loveseat works OK.

We look out the hide-a-bed couch and put in a cabinet. The TV is a 46" Sanyo on a Mor-Ryde lift. The cables are a problem, but wireless HDMI units work really well.

On the cabinet, I got lucky and found one I could modify. Added the counter top and cut out the top to fit.

It's a bit of a project, but it worked fine.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #10

And of course, the photos don't post...................
Old 04-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #11

OK, maybe these work......................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1117.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	123204   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1118 (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	123205  

Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Great job. Excellent.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for the response. Maybe we just spend a bit more $$ and get a model with the right setup? Decisions, Decisions.....
Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Almost ALL of the current and 1-3 Year old Newmar DP floor plans have the main TV mounted on a "televator" directly across from the main couch or recliners.

This was one of the most important considerations for us in choosing a MH floor plan and one of the reasons we have never found a Tiffin that suits our needs.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
HOLY COW!!!
Where does that thing end???
Nice!!!

Tags
install