Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Insurance Renewal Surprise

We just received our insurance renewal from Progressive. We have full replacement cost coverage based on MSRP on our 2015 VTDP 4002. We paid roughly 68% of MSRP since it was late into the model year so we have more than adequate coverage. The surprise is that our premium actually went down and with the vanishing deductible with no claims we are at a zero deductible. Has anyone else been this lucky, I feel like I should buy a lottery ticket.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Wow that is a surprise, one not to question. For sure on the lottery ticket 🤞🏻
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:45 PM   #3

That reminded me I need to cancel my insurance on my ACE and get a quote on the soon to be delivered Ventana. With the ACE, Progressive was nearly a third of State Farm (where I have three cars, house, personal property, umbrella, etc.) and about 50% of two others quotes I received.

It will be interesting to see if they come in that much lower again.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:07 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
That reminded me I need to cancel my insurance on my ACE and get a quote on the soon to be delivered Ventana. With the ACE, Progressive was nearly a third of State Farm (where I have three cars, house, personal property, umbrella, etc.) and about 50% of two others quotes I received.

It will be interesting to see if they come in that much lower again.

Same for me State Farm was more ten double
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:14 AM   #5

Just got our renewal notice from Good Sams (National General). They raised us over $300.00. No claims, no tickets, and nothing else has changed except the coach is now a year older. May have to shop around.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Motorhome insurance

I have to shop yearly. To the OP...you sir just received a miracle, FWIW, I’ve used Twin Peaks agency out of FT. Lauderdale FL. They are independent agents and specialize in RV insurance. For two years running I’ve had competitive coverage and agreed upon price replacement. That’s the key wording for complete, adequate coverage, “agreed upon replacement value.” Just this month I bundled my coach, tow car, Ford Edge and DW’s hybrid Ford. Kept the dollar amounts the same but superior coverage..not w/o having to change underwriters as National Interstate left the RV business by the roadside. Now with National General. Who knows what next year will bring?? So, if shopping Twin Peaks May be of help. Not associated in anyway with the agency.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #7

My agency's reps searched for insurance for my Class A when I bought it and Progressive came in way below any other quotes they had. I went with Progressive with full coverage and the rate was reasonable IMO.
I bought my MH at a price below what I felt was the actual value but I insured the MH for what I actually paid for it. When the first renewal came up I started thinking about what I would do if I had a total loss claim. I doubted I could ever find another coach in the same condition as mine for the insured value. I called my agency and asked if I could increase the value of my MH on the policy. My agency contacted Progressive and they approved a value increase of up to $10,000. I elected to do the increase and I paid just $48.00 for the increase on an annual basis. I thought this was a wise decision.
I still would have to struggle to find a comparable coach for the amount I have mine insured for but no insurance company is going to insure a 16 year old MH for the price of a new one. I see coaches for sale which are older and higher in mileage than mine which have an asking price for as much or more than I actually have mine insured for so I feel I won't be paying for a coach which would depreciate far below my insured value any time soon.
This is one good reason you have to review your policy each year. The premium you are paying is based on your stated value when you first insured it. In the event of a loss it is likely you would only get paid for the average "Book" value of a like replacement unit.
This may be some of the reasoning behind why the OP's premium went down. The value has dropped due to the depreciation as it is a model year older. For EX: If you paid $150,000 for a new coach would you expect to be paid $150,000 if the coach was a total loss when it became 10 years old?
It pays to have a good relationship with your insurance agency. Sitting down and discussing insured values annually is beneficial to you. This is the main reason I use the same agency for all the insurance I have that they can provide. I have my MH, homeowners, automobiles, ATV's snowmobiles, farm coverage ( I rent land to a farmer to grow crops on ) garage keepers business and property coverage, my car trailer, 2 snowmobile trailers and liability coverage on my farm tractors (3) as well as 2 classic cars all with the same hometown agency. My life and health insurance are with different agencies.
When is the last time you reviewed your auto insurance with your agent? If you get your annual or semi annual renewal do you just look at the bottom line and feel satisfied the premium stayed the same or increased only slightly? Remember when that auto or truck was new it had a value much higher than the value 1,2,3, or more years old. You are paying roughly the same premium amount but would receive significantly less in the event of a loss. Make sense? You need an agent who will work with and for you. This is the main reason I do business locally and not off a commercial on TV or over the internet or even out of the area. If someone doesn't work with me I won't work with them.
Lynn
Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wait till you have minor claim with Progressive! Premium X 4!!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Watch out for Progressive and their tendency to really raise there rates after a couple of years. Example: I paid $585 for my annual premium on my '06 Vacationer diesel pusher. I got my renewal notice a couple of weeks ago and the rate increased to $1130 for the year with no changes, claims or driving record incidents. I called my broker and two other popular RV agencies and all quoted nearly the same rate. They said that Progessive dramatically raised their rate in CA this year after running most other companies out of the state. I ended up with Good Sam (National General) with the same coverage for $624 a year. Policy went into effect yesterday.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Just got our renewal notice from Good Sams (National General). They raised us over $300.00. No claims, no tickets, and nothing else has changed except the coach is now a year older. May have to shop around.
Mine went up $200.00 due to the hurricane claims in Florida last year. My coach is tagged in Florida and we are Florida residents.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahargoue View Post
Watch out for Progressive and their tendency to really raise there rates after a couple of years. Example: I paid $585 for my annual premium on my '06 Vacationer diesel pusher. I got my renewal notice a couple of weeks ago and the rate increased to $1130 for the year with no changes, claims or driving record incidents. I called my broker and two other popular RV agencies and all quoted nearly the same rate. They said that Progessive dramatically raised their rate in CA this year after running most other companies out of the state. I ended up with Good Sam (National General) with the same coverage for $624 a year. Policy went into effect yesterday.
On my ACE, my progressive coverage was around $800, national through good Sam quoted around 1,800.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
On my ACE, my progressive coverage was around $800, national through good Sam quoted around 1,800.
Tough to figure out how the companies set their rates from year to year. Progressive was by far the lowest last year. This year it was just the oposite.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahargoue View Post
Tough to figure out how the companies set their rates from year to year. Progressive was by far the lowest last year. This year it was just the oposite.
Insurance rates vary greatly State by State, I have had progressive and Geico which both raise rates by an unacceptable amount. Just bought a New Aire and went through FMCA for quotes and was surprised to get four quotes that were all over the place with Safeco being the lowest, beating progressive by nearly 30%
Old 07-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
We've had Progressive for a number of years - first with our class C and now our trailer. Rates were fair and they didn't raise them much from year to year.

My only frustration is that when we bought our trailer this winter, the policy had to be rewritten and because we were changing types of coverage (MH to TT) we had to start over. So we lost credit for our years of no accidents / claims. Kinda pissed me off. I've been meaning to write a letter to somebody there, but haven't gotten around to it.

Tags
insurance