Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
intellitec Batt Disconnect trouble shooting question

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire

The switch on the panel won't put Battery's into store mode. So I choose the Relay won't disengage option on the trouble shooting sheet.

Intellitec trouble shooting sheet says: while the switch (BD-1) is engaged check for voltage across the coil terminals (+ on the S terminal and ground on the I terminal) if 0 volts replace panel, if + voltage, replace relay.
Multi meter shows 6.5 volts but with a minus sign which I take to mean polarity reversal.

So with little electrical knowledge I am not sure what the message is. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

PS: I found the left hand 5amp fuse blown and I replaced it before I followed the above instructions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
That 5 amp fuse is in your starting circuit, here is some info on Bird System and may have some info you need.
You probably have the old Bird and not new one for DP's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the reply. My sig does not state that the MH is DP and I should add that fact. What year was the "Bird" updated?
How does the BIRD interact with the Intellitec batt disconnect system, is my next question?

It will take a while to wade through the posts you provided. At least the coach is stuck with the DC power on and no rush to fix. I may just replace the relay.
A direct contact with Intellitec is next on my list. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Thanks for the reply. My sig does not state that the MH is DP and I should add that fact. What year was the "Bird" updated?
How does the BIRD interact with the Intellitec batt disconnect system, is my next question?

It will take a while to wade through the posts you provided. At least the coach is stuck with the DC power on and no rush to fix. I may just replace the relay.
A direct contact with Intellitec is next on my list. Thanks again.
The BIRD and the Battery Disconnect are not related (other than usually manufactured by Intellitec). HOWEVER, they both are sometimes shown on the same wiring diagram. You may need to sort out which wiring is applicable.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar did have FRED's during your model year.
The BIRD would be like the gas one not the DP.
May find the Bird on fire wall next to the solenoids and battery cables on them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Newmar did have FRED's during your model year.
The BIRD would be like the gas one not the DP.
May find the Bird on fire wall next to the solenoids and battery cables on them.
Thanks for that info.

I have a MountainAire Pusher and I believe I have located the BIRD in the same compartment as the 50 am cable storage behind the Velcro held panel that also contains the intelletec relay and another "White Rodgers" solenoid (I think). Slow progress, but then again it is in the teens in upstate NY. Thanks to all and any additional info welcome.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Thanks for that info.

I have a MountainAire Pusher and I believe I have located the BIRD in the same compartment as the 50 am cable storage behind the Velcro held panel that also contains the intelletec relay and another "White Rodgers" solenoid (I think). Slow progress, but then again it is in the teens in upstate NY. Thanks to all and any additional info welcome.
Please be aware that the BIRD functions as a device to connect the Chassis Batteries and the House Batteries together, under certain circumstances, to allow simultaneous charging. It (the BIRD) DOES NOT control disconnection of the batteries from the motorhome. It's good to know if you have a BIRD (or an IRD) and where it is located, but that won't fix your Battery Disconnect problem.

If you go here:
http://www.dodgenmobiletech.com/site...ay%20Delay.pdf
you will find, on page 4, the wiring diagram illustrating BOTH the BIRD and the Battery Disconnect solenoids/relays. Note that the engage/disengage circuits are not illustrated for the Disconnect Relays/Solenoids ... that's because they are NOT controlled by the BIRD. They are illustrated on the same page because the 3 relays/solenoids are quite often in close proximity to each other (short large diameter battery cables).

The circuit you want is here:
http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/intel...5322019100.pdf

page 9 if you have Battery Disconnect for both Chassis and House.

Note that the Battery Disconnect Relays/Solenoids are engaged/disengaged by reversing the voltage on pins "S" and "I". In other words, the actuator in the Relay/Solenoid is "pushed" or "pulled" depending on polarity.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Note that the Battery Disconnect Relays/Solenoids are engaged/disengaged by reversing the voltage on pins "S" and "I". In other words, the actuator in the Relay/Solenoid is "pushed" or "pulled" depending on polarity.

Thanks. Folks have provided me with lots of info which I will look at. I'll post any progress.