Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting cause & effect

On our last trip, we watched OTA stations for Olympic coverage. We have a Winegard Batwing.

I use a TV antenna helper app to Aire the batwing antenna, then scan channels. Found good signal on a lot of stations...that the app said might be fair.

In the evening, with the tv turned on...I would go to take our dogs out occasionally. I would turn on the front map light and outside patio light. Both switches located on the passenger armrest. When I turn these lights ON our TV reception would drop.

At first...I didn’t tie the two actions together...but when it finally dawned on me...sure enough... I could ruin our reception just by turning a light switch on.

I don’t know if this is because the lights are on the same 12v source and are robbing power from the antenna booster or what...

So, if your reception goes south all of the sudden...you may ask yourself, Has anyone turned on some lights near the antenna booster?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are the lights fluorescent? Sometimes the transformers cause interference.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Community Administrator

There have been threads here that discussed fluorescent light interference with thermostats.
Here’s a link to some.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chok...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Are the lights fluorescent? Sometimes the transformers cause interference.
No...the map light is an LED puck light...the Patio was an incandescent bulb, but I replaced it with an LED replacement bulb when it went out. I don’t have any flourescent lights.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
LED replacements that have a wide voltage range (usually 9 to 36V) also can cause interference, the designs use a switching regulator to allow the wide voltage range. If not well designed they will emit RF interference that will affect TV reception. Funny thing, because the wide range LED lights are generally regarded as being better and more reliable than the cheaper ones that have a simple resistor to limit the current.

My DIY LED lights, which use a switching regulator, cause TV reception to get worse when they are on, fortunately I have some simple resistor LED lights that don't affect TV reception. Obviously my DIY lights were not designed to minimize TV interference, but any commercially purchased lights, especially from a reputable US vendor, should pass the FCC regulations regarding interference.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting...good to know...I'll be getting out for our first of the season camping here in about a month. The place I go for that first trip I get about 55 channels. There is one of the main local stations I could never get. I'll have to see if that might have been the cause.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote