Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #1

Interior renovation for more contemporary look

[moderator edit]

I'm interested in folks' opinion on the following as a strategy to solve my disdain for the stale design and decor of new, high quality Class A's

1) buy a 3yo Tiffin or Newmar for example

2) go to a refurb/renovation place and have them modernize the furnishings
this would be something less than gutting the entire interior; maybe the equivalent of replacing your kitchen cabinet doors with flat panels, laminate, clean hardware, etc. Possibly some furniture replacement

3) and other such changes that could be done relatively inexpensively to update and contemporize the look

Otherwise, the option would be to consider Winnebago's new Horizon which has the more Euro look and feel and clean lines that i like. But I'd rather stay with a higher reputation motorhome company, which has caused me to think about this alternative strategy

Thoughts? Anyone done anything similar? Any ballpark ideas on how much a surface redesign (not a complete redo of the interior) would cost $?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'll try to add some perspective to your idea. I looked at the new Winnie Horizon. It is different. LOTS of white plastic and stainless. Maybe we agree as I'm not a fan of the engine, chassis or fixtures Winnie uses, but my wife loves their floor plans.

I'm refurbishing an older (2004) Monaco Signature. It comes with a top of the line Roadmaster chassis, 10 air bags, 10 shocks, Cummins 15L ISX engine, Allison MH4000 transmission, Girard awnings, Grohe faucets, Aqua hot, and on and on.

I'm not sure I would want a 3 year old coach as you are stuck with DEF (diesel exhaust fluid).
The other issue is a $750k coach when new 3 years earlier is now going to be $400-$500k.
The refurbishment can get expensive. One example is captains chairs with real leather and a few options is $7k.
Are you willing to do the work yourself? Labor rates are aprox $150 per hour.
Repainting the exterior is $15k-$25k.

Have you looked at used Newell and Prevost coaches? Many of these have the white Euro interior look you like. They are very high end custom built coaches. You have to drop your model year back to match your price range.
There are also some other high end coaches with the look you like. Have you looked at a used Country Coach Lexa (only built 2003-2004) or Affinity? They were high end custom coaches and some had the white euro look interiors.
Travel Supreme Select (2005-2008) had an optional white/stainless interior. These are all electric coaches that were way ahead of their time.

Some of the new 2018 Newmar diesel coaches have a light interior available, (although most are dark). I just saw a new London Aire with the light interior and it was gorgeous! It may require a special order.
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

I love the look and function of the new Retro Winnebago... and they are relatively cheap! If everything works why pay more?
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior