Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 AM   #15

Hey Neal....Looks great! We had a little road rash from our Alaska trip on one of our bins as well. I ordered the entire package from Summit while at the Newmar International Rally in Sedalia. We had them ship to us the first week in November when we landed in a place for more than a few days. One of the pieces was too long by 4 inches so we delayed our install until this week when we got the replacement piece. Summit was great and easy to deal with. The install is a couple of days (20+/- man hours total) with me and the DW taking our time. We should finish it today and I will post pictures when all done. In addition to the bins, we did the steps, kick plate and wheel trim. All in with shipping we were right at about $2,500. It really dresses up the coach.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #16

All finished except for a little clean up of excess silicone caulking once it completely dries. I highly recommend the Summit Stainless Steel. It really dresses up the coach and the staff that we worked with are great. Sorry I did not get a better picture but the sun was setting right behind the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Summit Steel.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	184222  
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Neal, stop by Summit in Altoona, IA and they will custom make pieces for your coach while you are there and install them if you want. You do need to call ahead to schedule.

When we bought our used Allure, my DW saw an American Coach with the Summit stainless trim. She commented how nice it looked. When I inquired with the dealer about the price (they quoted $3,000 for my coach), I told the DW it was too expensive. Her response was, see what it will cost if you install it yourself.

So, I had Summit make the trim, ship it to me in VA, and I installed it over a weekend. It wasn't hard but time consuming to do it right. I also did the steps and the kick plate below the entry door. No regrets. My cost was about $1,600.

On the way out West on a trip later that year, we stopped by Summit and had them measure and make more trim for my side radiator grill and a piece for the lower front of the coach. They shipped it to me in Idaho and I installed those pieces while in an RV park.

The stuff is primarily bling but really dresses up a coach and does provide some protection.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #18

Does it dent?
Lilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfoot View Post
Does it dent?
it can certainly dent, and scratch, if hit with something harder than it.....

but it is significantly more resistant to damage than the aluminum the doors are constructed from....

and if it was damaged in such a way, it would conceal that damage far better than the paint and aluminum.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:57 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
And easier to fix by just replacing the SS trim vs a door repair which is not cheap. My first camping trip two doors damaged. Fortunately below the 8 inch coverage of the SS measured from bottom edge up.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:29 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it can be dented and, since it is mirror polished stainless, it does show small scratches. I have a small ding in one of my pieces and if you let the light hit it just right, you can see fine scratches in the finish. However, when you polish it up with a good metal polish, it looks really sharp.

As far as removing it once it is installed, that is not easy for sure. It is held on with 3M VHB tape and Sika Flex adhesive caulk. One of my original pieces had some dings from the factory (could not see them before I installed it) and Summit removed and replaced it while we were at their factory. I watched the guys remove that piece and it was not an easy task to get it off the door.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:50 AM   #22
Administrator Emeritus

Here's a pic of my former LADB that I took in June of '07 when in Davenport, IA at Summit's original location. This was just as Summit was coming on board.

As Gary and others will certainly attest, they're an awesome company to work with aftermarket and the fact that you now can have the work done on your new coach at the factory is a bonus.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Here's a pic of my former LADB that I took in June of '07 when in Davenport, IA at Summit's original location. This was just as Summit was coming on board.

As Gary and others will certainly attest, they're an awesome company to work with aftermarket and the fact that you now can have the work done on your new coach at the factory is a bonus.

Bob, are you going to take that Verona to Summit for some 'bling?'
Old 12-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

Funny you mention that Gary.... I was just discussing that possibility in another thread over in the TC section...

I'm going to wait till the end of this season here in Fort Myers, as we will be joined here in January by "Amigo Chuck" with his one or two year old Essex.... I'm hoping that I escape the "honey I really love their new Essex" with still owning the Renegade.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, vent, ventana