RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

inverted generator power

Hello, I recently purchased a 2001 Kountry Star DP. When running the generator I noticed the remote control inverter panel does not show that the batteries are charging and the incoming AC power light is not on. The panel is completely dead when gernerator is running. All the 120v appliances work on generator power. The inverter remote panel works and all indicator lights work on shore power. I've checked all the fuses and circuit breakers I know of and none of them are tripped/blown. What else should I look at or look for. Preparing for a long dry camp trip and will be depending on generator to re charge batteries. Sorry for long post just trying to cover details and provide as much info to obtain the much needed assistance. TIA
Eric

Slow ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Does your rig have an automatic transfer switch? If not, how do you connect the generator when running?

joe

Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

It does have an auto transfer switch which seems to be working. When I turn on generator all the 120v aplliances work (microwave, TV, etc). Should I have to plug something into and outlet?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Is it possible the inverter was added after the coach was built? It's possible it was wired into the shore power feed before the transfer switch, instead of after it. I think you'll need to trace the AC input wiring from the inverter/converter back to the shore power connection.

joe
Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Slow ride,
I do not know if your coach charges the coach batteries from the generator. For now, let us assume charging the batteries from the generator is true. If you are okay working with a meter, you'll need to do some checking to see where the power is being lost.

1. Go to the battery charger (usually the converter or a combined inverter/converter) and see if it is getting 120 VAC from the generator. If no, go the the transfer switch and check the outbound VAC on both legs. Then you'll need to determine where the VAC is being lost between the transfer switch and the converter. The converter can be found in several different places. Many times it is in the electrical bay with the shore power cord.

2. If the converter has incoming 120 VAC, check the output for 13.5 VDC. If the VDC is there then the problem is between the converter and the coach batteries. If there is incoming VAC and no outbound VDC the converter is bad.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #6

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm working on them now in hopes to find the cure.
Thanks again,
Eric
Old 05-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several possibilities.

1: If your rig is a 50 amp rig, it may be the inverter is on one leg and the working outlets are either 1: Powered by the inverter or 2: on the other leg. I know when my inverter was installed they put both air conditioners on the OTHER leg.

If that is the case and the breaker that feeds the inverter is tripped (happened to me just last week) the inverter will not get any AC, though other outlets will work if they are on the other leg.

Option 2 is the generator is very "Dirty" output waveform wise, (This is common on small contractor's jobs but NOT common on say ONAN or GENRAC or other made for RV 5,000 watt plus generators) and the inverter is rejecting the power. Figuring that out requies a voltage test at the inverter's AC-INPUT line or terminls.. MEASURE CAREFULLY, DANGEROUS POWER PRESENT, INJURY POSSIBLE.