RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #1

We are looking at a new Allstar and trying to figure out exactly what the 2000 watt inverter is wired to? The factory/dealer says it will not run the frig-serious problem as we need ice(without genny or lp) and almost every coach we've seen the inverter runs the frig! Also trying to determing which if any tv's, outlets, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #2

We are looking at a new Allstar and trying to figure out exactly what the 2000 watt inverter is wired to? The factory/dealer says it will not run the frig-serious problem as we need ice(without genny or lp) and almost every coach we've seen the inverter runs the frig! Also trying to determing which if any tv's, outlets, etc.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #3

Hey, first off, welcome to the forum. Your statement "almost every MH with an inverter I've seen runs the frig on it" may be true on what you saw or thought you saw, but is not the normal. Almost all inverter equipped MH's operate the frig. on propane when not on genset or shore power. The only exception to that is all electric units, which still today number small among the total RV market. Count your batteries. If you don't have 8 6 volt batteries just for the house bank, don't go there.
As long as your MH has propane go for the non-inverter powered frig.
Exception to the above: You drive and drive and then always plug in. Then you drive and drive and be sure you again plug in.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #4

Unfortunately the all electric frig is not an option. Yes, most 2000 watt inverters are more than capable of running all Norcold frigs and MOST manufaturers DO have it connected to the friq-I guess what you are telling me is Newmar has chosen not to wire it to the frig? PS-as we speak I'm sitting next to a Fleetwood Revolution with a 2000 watt inverter and 4-6V batteries who uses the inverter "all the time" to run the frig with ICE! And no we are not the "norm" if we are buying a Class A with a garage(whose market is the DRY campers)!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #5

No I'm not telling you only Newmar chooses not to wire the inverter through the frig., I'm telling you most motorhome manufacturer's do.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #6

In addition to Fleetwood, Monaco and Tiffin have the frig wired to inverter. Just trying to figure what Newmar's standard inverter wiring is-so we can make the necessary changes we require-will be more specifc next time!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, Tiffin does not wire the entire fridge to the inverter. The refrig will run on 120 shore power or generator power but when neither is present it will run on propane, not the inverter. The exceptions are the few residential fridge optioned floorplans in the higher end coaches.

However, there are two electrical outlets behind the refrigerator. The one that the refrigerator is plugged into is not connected to the inverter but the icemaker is plugged into the other outlet, which is connected to the inverter. Therefore, when driving down the road your fridge is running on LP but the inverter is supplying power to the ice maker so that it can make ice while you travel. Most manufacturers hook them up this way because the fridge itself will suck a fair amount of amps when dry camping and while the inverter would be able to run it, the batteries would go down in short order. The icemaker, on the other hand, doesn't draw that many amps so it's normally connected to an inverter fed outlet.

If yours doesn't work, I'd look behind the fridge and see if the icemaker is maybe plugged into the wrong spot and maybe could be plugged into an available inverter outlet.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #8

Most MHs "Do Not" use the inverter to power the refrigerator. You need to do a bit more investigating.
You can run the ref. off a 2,000w inverter while you are running down the road and some owners rig it that way. Once you stop you would need to hook up to shore power or run your generator to keep your batteries up or switch to LP.
The first time you forget and leave the ref. on the inverter, once you are parked, it will become clear to you why they don't hook them up that way.
High end all electric models use the inverter for the ref. and some for the forward roof A/C.
but they also have bigger inverters, more batteries and auto start generators that kick on once your batteries discharge to a certain amount.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:35 AM   #9

Sorry to disagree but almost all coaches at Nascar races, dry camping, etc. have their ice maker in the frig, tv's, coffee pot, etc. working thru the inverter and that is how we want it-period(as we have now). We're just trying to find out exactly what comes standard wired with inverter as our original question stated so we can make the necessary changes as required! If the frig(ice maker portion) is wired correctly it will automatically revert back to shore 110 just as the TVs ect.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:07 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Dave,I would recommend you call someone in Napanee at the factory if you need the answer as to what the "All Star" will or will not do.

As the "All Star" is new for 2007, the factory would be your "safest" solution.

Please understand these folks are simply trying to offer their experience with 2006 and older Newmar products,as most that post here are Newmar owners. The fact that Newmar does or does not "run" the refrigerator by using the inverter is something they would know about their 2006 or older product,but what Newmar is doing with the 2007's is clearly something you might be better suited to find out from the horse's mouth....

Good luck with your search for the answer.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:13 AM   #11

Thanks rebelsbeach, but as we said we have talked to the factory thru a dealer and were told we needed to go thru the documentation which we did not have time to do while visiting the dealer. Will try calling the factory direct.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:59 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

That was my advice Dave....go DIRECTLY to Newmar Owner Relations in Napanee...

I have found,with Newmar AND Winnebago that the folks at the factory are where the "hard" answers come from....I asked some hard questions just a week ago of a Newmar dealer and the answers came through the dealer,but from Napanee.
In the case of the inverter question and the importance placed upon the answer,if I were you I would contact them directly as you have said.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #13

I suggest you consider special ordering the unit like you want it. In our case we did not specify how we wanted the inverter wired to the refig and ice maker and it was not included inverting wiring.

We rewired it in about 15 minutes so now the inverter powers the refig and ice maker. At 12 volts inverter power the refig will take about 10 time the number of amps to create the some power (watts) level as 110 volts. In our case as soon as we plug in the the external power source it takes over the job and the inverter starts recharging the battery bank regardless of turning the invereter off or leaving it on. I laways turn the inverter off when using external power.

I suggest that there is no standard way to wire inverters and in our review of MH I think we see about half of the wired one way and half the other way with respect to supplying power to the refig and ice maker.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Hey Wally....believe it or not you forgot the most important one!!

Yahoo Newmar Owners Forum