Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Inverter Question

Can someone tell me what mode should i keep my inverter, i have a Ventana LE 3843, when plugged in to shore power should i keep it in FLOAT mode or off, also while traveling with generator running should it be off or FLOAT mode? I have turned it on while running down the hwy with the generator off and all is fine but i didnt want to mess my batteries up or anything else ,thanks.
Tabors is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's what I do with my inverter: It's turned OFF unless I need it to energize a 120vac outlet when I have no other ways to do so. My first choice is always pedestal, my second choice is generator, my LAST choice is inverter ON, which, of course, depletes my coach batteries. Since I never boondock, it's rare that my inverter is ON.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #3

My inverter is always on. If the power goes out, it kicks in.

If you are talking about an inverter / charger, leave It in float mode, that keeping your batteries charged.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabors View Post
Can someone tell me what mode should i keep my inverter, i have a Ventana LE 3843, when plugged in to shore power should i keep it in FLOAT mode or off, also while traveling with generator running should it be off or FLOAT mode? I have turned it on while running down the hwy with the generator off and all is fine but i didnt want to mess my batteries up or anything else ,thanks.
Not knowing what inverter/charger is installed on your coach I can only tell you my experience with the Magnum MS2012 installed on my 2012 DSDP. The Float mode displayed on the remote is telling you the battery charger is in float mode (batteries fully charged). I leave my battery charger on all the time regardless of what I do with the inverter, and regardless if I am on the gen set or shore power and only turn the battery charger function off only when I am servicing the batteries. The inverter function on my remote is either on or off, and I turn my inverter on only whenever I need it. My Magnum Inverter/Charger takes care of most things reasonably automatically. More importantly is to regularly check the batteries and cables.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #5

ok, i also have a Magnum Inverter/Charger, i have had it since new in 2012 ,i have always kept it on shore power with inverter off and had no trouble cranking , so it was not charging my batteries in the off position ? so in FLOAT mode it will charge the batteries as needed only ?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
FLOAT is the 3rd stage of the smart technology in the charger. It goes BULK > ABSORB > FLOAT. It is more like a trickle charge once the batteries are up to 90%. The charger should cycle through the stages automatically, depending on your SOC.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your inverter is not the only devise charging your batteries when on shore power or driving the coach.
The Bird System or B.M.I. has something to say about the charge of all the batteries in your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

Still confused a little , so if i put in the ON position it will transfer to Bulk>Absorb>Float automatic ? as long as i have it on ? so to say if i cancel Float mode and put it on the ON mode it will do as it needs to do ? after reading the sticky im more confused sorry.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most people I know just leave the control on and let it do its thing you will not drain your batteries if programed correctly.
There is more info in QT's # 3 under AGS, iNVERTER/CONVERTER Controls.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Still confused a little , so if i put in the ON position it will transfer to Bulk>Absorb>Float automatic ? as long as i have it on ? so to say if i cancel Float mode and put it on the ON mode it will do as it needs to do ? after reading the sticky im more confused sorry.
If you turn the Inverter to ON it will not impact the Charger. Your Magnum will continue to charge the batteries while the Inverter is ON or OFF. You would have to turn the Charger to OFF to stop charging the battery. I bet you have the ME/MR remote and to read about how to operate the remote you can find more information here ME-MR Remote - Magnum Energy, Inc. .

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Tabors,

I think you're being confused because you don't understand the functioning of the inverter/charger. It really is two units combined into one. It's a battery charger on one side, while being an inverter on the other side.

When plugged into shore power or generator running the charger side charges your batteries. That's when it shows bulk, absorb, or float. That has nothing to do with the inverter section of the unit. When you unplug from shore power or turn generator off you will no longer see bulk, absorb, or float.

The inverter section of the unit provides 110 volt power to some but not all of your electrical outlets so you can use things like the microwave, etc. while not hooked to shore power or running the generator. It uses power from the batteries to make the 110 volts.

You can leave the inverter on all the time. When driving down the road your batteries will stay charged from the main engine alternator, you will not be draining your batteries. When plugged into shore power the batteries will stay charged from the charger section of the unit, you will not be draining your batteries.

The only time you really need to turn the inverter off is when you plan on not using the MH for a period of time. It would in time drain your batteries if not plugged into shore power or generator running or main engine running.

I hope I haven't confused you more.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

No i have been reading more and understanding a little more i'll re read my manual and see what it says but for the most i'll leave it on thanks for yall help.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

Rotten-Red nailed this. If you read anything re-read his post. An inverter is COMPLETELY different than a charger.

Inverter - takes 12 volts DC as an input and produces 120 volts AC as an output

Charger - takes 120 volts AC as input and produces 13 (14?) volts DC as an output.

These two different functions may be housed in the same unit (I'm not sure about that) but they are TOTALLY different sets of circuits and functions.

The changer gets its power from either the pedestal or your generator. The inverter gets its input from the house batteries.

I am not sure how solar and engine alternator 14 VDC feeds into the house batteries. There must be an isolator that prevents the charger output from back feeding into the alternator? I am too new to have known that the engine alternator is also capable of charging the house batteries. Good to know.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
No i have been reading more and understanding a little more i'll re read my manual and see what it says but for the most i'll leave it on thanks for yall help.

Like you Tabors, I needed more information a few months back: I called Magnum and talked with the Techs directly. Like many people have already stated: You can leave the inverter on all the time or turn it off, it makes no difference to your charging. What it does do for you (inverting) is give you some backup to the 110 power if you lose shore or generator power for a little time unexpected idly. (time depending on demand). Inverter power also is used when boondocking. When using an inverter IMOP you have to monitor regularly, due to a possibility of a loss of power, inverter provides 110 power from your batteries and will provide some additional time, but if you do not restore the power/charging you will then lose your batteries or even damage them. I only use inverter mode when at home if I need to run the refrigerator between camping excursions; I plug into 110 power and run inverter only as a backup and check the coach daily. I easily have 24 hours on the refrigerator with inverter and batteries. Your inverter is your onboard insurance or your boondocking friend.

Tags
inverter