Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #1

Anyone upgrade a 04 Mountain aire 3778 inverter, and add 2 addtional batteries (Total of 4 6 volt batts.)
Factory built w/ a 400w inverter & 2 6v battery system
current system doesn't keep up the batts up all night, w/ TV, Sat, DVD, Heater fan, lights,& normal 12 v draw.
Questions:
1) Can I purchase (plug and play) 1000 to 2000 watt inverter using the same wiring that fits in the same compartment..
2)When adding the 2 addtional batteries, where would they go? How far apart can they be?
3) Whats the best 6 V battery brand?

mike wy
Chino Hills, CA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #2

Anyone upgrade a 04 Mountain aire 3778 inverter, and add 2 addtional batteries (Total of 4 6 volt batts.)
Factory built w/ a 400w inverter & 2 6v battery system
current system doesn't keep up the batts up all night, w/ TV, Sat, DVD, Heater fan, lights,& normal 12 v draw.
Questions:
1) Can I purchase (plug and play) 1000 to 2000 watt inverter using the same wiring that fits in the same compartment..
2)When adding the 2 addtional batteries, where would they go? How far apart can they be?
3) Whats the best 6 V battery brand?

mike wy
Chino Hills, CA.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
http://www.rvcruzer.com/RS3000.htm

Heres a link that may help you, Mike
You didn't say what you have for chassis if its a DP some have installed extra batts in engine compartment if its gas going to use a ventilated compartment or sealed batteries.
Good luck with your project.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #4

Mike

To clarify, you inverter that Newmar calls a 400 watt unit is really only a 300 watt one. It'll peak at 400 watts for 20 seconds, but no longer. It will put out 300 watts as long as the batteries stay up. I've looked closely at adding add'l batteries in my MACA 3651 and I just can't find a convenient place close enough to the existing batteries to make it practical. We're able to watch sat tv all evening and run the furnace all night on the existing two batteries without a problem. Then I just run the generator the next day for a couple hours and bring them back to a full charge. We've decided we can get by without the add'l two batteries. It's also a weight issue again. (See my response on your other post on the washer / dryer)

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #5

thanks for the info,
Plan on retiring in several years, trying to get upgrades (inverter, xtra batts, washer /dyrer) taken care of before we retiring and going out on the road. After reading some of the feedback, I'll probally won't put in the washer/dryer unit. As far as batteries, maybe I should invest in new ones first, just seems like they run down to fast.last time out I had to use the batt boost in the morning to stat the generator.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #6

Mike

I'd make sure the batteries are full of distilled water, fully charged and then take them to a battery shop and have them run a load test. That should give you an idea of where they're at. On my two six volts I can go a long time (hours) before I need to charge them again. If I didn't use the rv, sat dish and furnace, I could go a couple days with just using the lights.

Jack

Old 03-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #7

you may be correct,may just need 2 new 6 v battery's, its been over 3 1/2 yers, sometimes they have ran completly down, had them checked last year, said they were ok,
Motor hm is in storage most of the time, seems to outgas battery acid (mist) in the compartment. I clean it every time we use the rig. buy it still may just be old batteries,
the battery company "Lifeline" in near me, what level of battery should I be looking at to run TV, entertainment center, furnace, lights, frig fan, normal 12 v draws.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #8

Mike

If you leave your rig plugged in and if you have the stock charger / converter that Newmar supplied, it wouldn't take long to boil the water out of the batteries and shorten their life. I've added a plug in module to my Iota converter / charger that will put it into a "float" mode when the batteries are fully charged. It was about $30 directly from Iota. I just called them and gave them my model # and they told me there wasn't a float state in the stock unit and suggested I add this module. It just plugs in. No big deal.

As far as life line batteries, do a search in IRV2 and there's a ton to read about them. I think the model you want is show at: http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=4
From everything I've been able to read, lifeline is the best and it is advisable to stay with two 6 volts rather than 2 12 volts. These are expensive and they are heavy, but it's the route I'm going to go when I replace mine.

Jack

Old 03-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #9

sounds like i ned to order the float plug module. do you reall the part number or when you mentioned model number, are you refeering to the newmar coach # or the converter #
Old 03-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #10

Mike

You want the Iota converter / charger model number. I THINK mine is a DLS 75, but can't remember for sure. Here is a link to the Iota Engineering power products web site. http://www.iotaengineering.com/power.htm

I think they call the module you're looking for a "power controller". Take a look in your electrical / power cord bay and your converter is probably mounted there. Get the model # and give them a call. The module is about the size of a two inch cube with one wire coming out of it. The wire has what looks like a telephone modular plug on it. All you have to do is mount the "cube" somewhere close to the converter and plug it in. Read about the functionality of it on the Iota web site and I think that will explain it completely. Good guys to deal with by the way.

I leave my rig plugged in all the time and now I only have to add water about every 6 weeks rather than every week.

Jack

Old 03-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #11

thanks Jack, your a wealth of inforamtion,
I really appreciate your time & help, I'm pretty sure this has been my problem,
thanks again
mike wy
chino hills, ca
Old 03-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #12

You're quite welcome Mike. When the opportuity presents itself, I'm sure you'll help someone else out. That's what this forum is all about. Keep in touch and let us all know how you're enjoying your Mountain Aire.

Jack

Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #13

Update, Well, I contacted IOTA, purcahed and installed the smart controller (called IQ4)for the DLS -75 coverter, also purchased 2 new lifeline GPL-4C Batteries,installed yesterday. WOW batteries list at $243 each, got them for $225 each at Lifeline in Azusa, realy nice folks there, looking forward to getting out for the weekend next week.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #14

Mike

That's great. Thanks also for thee lead on where to get the batteries. The best price I'd found was $260.

Good camping and thanks again

Jack