Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Inverter use

We are fixing to take off on our first long trip and have tried to get propane on board but even though we have 2 propane companies here in town neither one will fill a propane tank on a motorhome. Will it hurt anything for me to flip the inverter switch on above the passenger seat and run the refrig off of the inverter till we get somewhere to add propane. I figure the engine gen would be able to keep the batteries charged enough to run the refrig. We will be heading from here in Ky to New Mexico for a few days, then on to Colorado for about a week and then to Cody, Wy for the summer. This is our first diesel pusher and not sure about all of the systems yet. Any advice appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think it should be fine to run the refer on the inverter while underway until you can get propane on board. You may or may not even need the generator to keep the house batteries charged.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I think it should be fine to run the refer on the inverter while underway until you can get propane on board. You may or may not even need the generator to keep the house batteries charged.

Best of luck.

Rick
Can't run the gen either as it is a propane generator.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post
Can't run the gen either as it is a propane generator.
Gotcha. I had misread your comment about the "engine gen"... but I still think you'll be fine.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If you do the initial 'cool down' on shore power at home, then use the inverter as you leave, I'm sure it will hold fine until you find propane on the road. Seems like there's propane available at truckstops, campgrounds, etc. in every direction from your location, but nothing close.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you do the initial 'cool down' on shore power at home, then use the inverter as you leave, I'm sure it will hold fine until you find propane on the road. Seems like there's propane available at truckstops, campgrounds, etc. in every direction from your location, but nothing close.
We do have it plugged into shore power right now and turned on the frig this morning. Hope to leave tomorrow afternoon. Thanks everyone for the answers.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Are you sure your fridge is on an inverter circuit? It's my understanding that rigs with propane fridges usually have them on a non-inverter circuit.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Are you sure your fridge is on an inverter circuit? It's my understanding that rigs with propane fridges usually have them on a non-inverter circuit.
No, I have no idea, that is why I ask on here. Hopefully someone will know for sure.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
If the reefer isn't on the inverter, keep the door shut and I doubt if you'll raise more than a degree or two driving to get propane. (an hour or so) If you really want 120 v refrigeration, use an extension cord from an inverter powered outlet to the back of the refrigerator.

You only have to get to a truck stop, U-Haul dealer, campground, or something similar to fuel up on propane.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkaran View Post
No, I have no idea, that is why I ask on here. Hopefully someone will know for sure.
Look in your main breaker panel. Find the one marked "Refrigerator". Is it in the main panel, or in a sub-panel for the inverter?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
With my last last MH I had to shut the propane off on a trip and we just bought a bag of Ice and put it on a shelf in the refrigerator and had no problem. Plugged in at night put the ice bag in the freezer. Then repeat.

Does cut down on room.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim do you have any propane in your LP tank registered on the LED display showing?
Plus on the tank there is a gauge that will indicate the LP level.
Place you fridge on AUTO which now will be cooling on the 110 you have feeding the coach now and when you disconnect the 110 will switch to LP GAS automatic.
You may have enough LP until you find a dealer.
The Bird system will be supplying the 12v off your alternator while your driving so batteries will be charged.
Have all your food cooled in house fridge before placing in the RV fridge.
You may have a 9 or 10 cf double door fridge in your 2001 coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

No, the propane tank is empty. We bought the coach in Florida and coming home it was pretty cold and the dash heat was not enough so we used the furnace, planning on filling it up when we got here at home. Neither propane company here will fill a motorhome.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Than cool it down as your for at least 8 hours, load up with pre-cooled food you should be able to find someone in travels to fill, just do not open the door that much.
It will take a while to get fridge re-cooled after you get the propane so still keep doors shut as much as possible.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter