Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #1

IRS Medical Equip Deduction For Handicap RV

Bought a used Canyon Star 3911 Handicapped RV. I am investigating if the cost of the handicapped equipment in this RV would qualify for a medical equipment deduction. Anyone every done this? and if so how did you value the equipment?

Peter and Jan
2014 CS 3911
pbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #2

Peter, your question is a tricky one. You can take a medical deduction for amounts spent to alter your home for handicap access. There is no provision for the alteration of a second home that I am aware of. In addition, the rig you have purchased has not been modified as it is manufactured with handicap access.

The only possible deduction that I see is perhaps the difference in cost between what your rig cost and what a comparable non-handicap access Bay Star would cost. Perhaps if I do some research I can give you a more definitive answer. Remember that the medical deduction is now limited to 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income if you are under 65.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #3

Dream on.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Dream on.

Yes, just continue to "dream on".

Just pay your taxes & be grateful you can travel in a convenient-to-you vehicle & see this wonderful country.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

When I purchased our Toyota conversion van, the "upgrade cost" for the conversion was deductible. I was thinking the same might be true here -similar to what you are saying wnytaxman. I am familiar with the deduction limitation. Being retired and having IRAs I like to schedule withdrawals to maximize benefit to me. The tax code is complicated but it is best to understand as best os one can not to leave money in gov't hands that could be in mine.

I just bought the RV so I am doing this to plan for next year. Any help is appreciated!!

Peter and Jan
Old 02-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

The Braun lift in the RV would not be there but for the Handicap. At a minimum I would think that cost could be deductible. I would be hard pressed to say there are any other extras that have substantial cost associated but rather part of the design.

And yes we are very happy to be able to be "dreaming on." As my wife's disability forced us to give up travel in our class c, we are very very happy to have found this Newmar. My wife hasn't been this happy in a long time and our dreams are again going to be reality. Hope to see you on the road!!

Peter and Jan
Old 02-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

You may have to have the price difference between a non-handicapped model and the handicapped model.

Algoma would have a pretty good clue. I'm curious if Newmar made any of the improvements he discussed with them? Get those models better straight from the users mouth.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrod View Post
The Braun lift in the RV would not be there but for the Handicap. At a minimum I would think that cost could be deductible. I would be hard pressed to say there are any other extras that have substantial cost associated but rather part of the design.

And yes we are very happy to be able to be "dreaming on." As my wife's disability forced us to give up travel in our class c, we are very very happy to have found this Newmar. My wife hasn't been this happy in a long time and our dreams are again going to be reality. Hope to see you on the road!!

Peter and Jan
Peter, I would see if Newmar would give you the "retail" price of the lift in writing as being a good starting point. Perhaps a second question of what other modifications were made such as bathroom access would also be relevant. This could give you the proof you would need to substantiate the deduction. It doesn't mean that an auditor won't challenge the deduction but from what you are saying I would think that the deduction would stand a good chance of passing an audit.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrod View Post
Bought a used Canyon Star 3911 Handicapped RV. I am investigating if the cost of the handicapped equipment in this RV would qualify for a medical equipment deduction. Anyone every done this? and if so how did you value the equipment?

Peter and Jan
2014 CS 3911
I don't know the answer, and of course only a tax professional would. However, I have confirmed and deducted other items (mortgage interest, solar installation, etc.) for a second home. As far as I know, your motor home counts as a second home. I point this out only in that there are many deductions extended to second homes, and I suspect this may be one as well. Even if it is, the difficulty is your having bought it as part of the motorhome. Another tact to address this is to break it into two parts. First, is it deductible for a second home? Then, even for your primary residence, how would you deduct this type of expense that was, for example, part of a new home purchase?
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap