Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Is 2006 Newmar 3912 Diesel Good Starter RV?

Husband & I are recently retired and want to join the RV life, part time. Looking at a 2006 Newmar Diesel 3912 & considering purchase this week. Outside needs in-depth detailing and front (only) painted. Inside is in good condition expect furniture, carpeting & decor that is in very poor condition & must be renovated. Cabinets are in mint shape. Under 40k miles. Has this 2006 model been a solid unit without significant problems? What do we need to have checked out to be certain the MH checks out A-OK? can the flooring be changed out under the slides, too? How do you anchor a new coach, or do they need to be bolted? don't know that we can obtain maintenance records. What services should we have performed in this year unit, if we purchase it this week? See you on the road. Thank you very much, in advance, for any help you can provide!!!
Time2Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 04:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Play View Post
Husband & I are recently retired and want to join the RV life, part time.
Welcome to the site and the life.
Quote:
Looking at a 2006 Newmar Diesel 3912 & considering purchase this week. ..... Has this 2006 model been a solid unit without significant problems? What do we need to have checked out to be certain the MH checks out A-OK? can the flooring be changed out under the slides, too?
Give us a little more info - what model with a 3912 floor plan.

Quote:
How do you anchor a new coach, or do they need to be bolted?
You lost me here - can you describe what you are thinking here?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:38 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Outside needs in-depth detailing and front (only) painted. Inside is in good condition expect furniture, carpeting & decor that is in very poor condition & must be renovated. Cabinets are in mint shape. Under 40k miles. Has this 2006 model been a solid unit without significant problems? What do we need to have checked out to be certain the MH checks out A-OK?
Congratulations on your retirement and decision to part-time it. Maybe one day I can join you in that retirement thing!
Just an opinion, of coarse, but I think I would run away from that deal. 10 or 11 years old is not that old and no better condition than you describe why would any of the rest of the coach be any better. You could get it for a great price and by the time you restore it you could have thousands of dollars invested. If it is made for a motorhome it is usually expensive to replace. A replacement generator could cost you $6000+ to replace, Most sofas are $1200+, chairs $600+. It would not take long for a $75000 bargain to become a $100000+ JOB! I had a '93 Winnebago Vectra that I sold in 2010 because I was always working on it.
You can find a good deal that you don't have to replace everything to make it livable! Enjoy your retirement!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good luck in your search... Just a few comments. Don't let the excitement of purchasing a "new to you" coach get in the way of good inspections. You mentioned that the interior (flooring, furniture, decor) was not in good shape. If the coach truly only has 40K on it, this is an issue. It means that the previous owner did not take good care of his coach. The paint on these coaches is very expensive to repaint. I'd guess, if your talking about the whole front of the coach, it will run in the multiples of thousands to get done right and match. You should have all fluids checked by a certified lab. This includes the engine, generator, transmission, and coolant. This will tell you if their are any real problems with these systems. Anything can be repaired, but it is not cheap.

Tags
diesel, newmar, starter