Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #1

Is Newmar Good Quality?

At first I was looking at Monaco, then Thor, specifically the Palazzo. Now I'm inquiring about Newmar. They seem to be more expensive, but are they good quality motorhomes for the money?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #2

I'm sure there will be more than a couple of Newmar owners weigh in on this.

I bought mine used after looking at a few others. I came to the conclusion very early in my search that Newmar quality is among the best in the industry. Go looking at others and start opening cupboard doors, look at he flooring and general interior finish. This is just a start but I think you will see the difference.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I think you will see the difference.
But is Newmar worth the money?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Only you can answer that. Value is in the eye of the owner. Some will be quite happy with "lesser" quality and some will complain about a $500k coach quality.

We bought an older Newmar even though we could have bought a 3-5 year newer coach of another make for the same price. We don't regret it.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
As has been said only you can decide what your looking for in quality we can give you our version of quality and provide info as to what that may be.
You might fined something with a lot of gliter but its what is underneath that needs to be supportive over time if you not going to buy something new every couple of years.
You can find info on new coach's in HOOT's threads in the QT's # 3 links in which they bear all the good and bad with their new coach's.
You may not see that in other mfg forums about their coach's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

In my opinion, very much so. You get what you pay for and for the quality in their builds your getting your monies worth. As already mentioned, take a look inside and open some cupboard doors, fit and finish quality of the material used etc. I think you'll be impressed. Good Luck!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
From a non-Newmar owner that studied many coaches before making a decision, yes...IMHO one of the top two in its price point....as far as worth the money....you get what you pay for
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
IMHO, yes Newmar is worth the extra $$. We just ordered our fourth coach, a Newmar Canyon Star. First coach (all were new when purchased) was a Fleetwood Pace Arrow, second a Holiday Rambler Alumalite and third was a Newmar Mountain Aire. We have had this coach 16 years, still going strong, and just as quiet and tight as the day we picked it up. We never looked at another manufacturer this time when we purchased a new one as we are impressed with the Newmar quality. If you have the ability, take the Newmar factory tour to see how all these coaches are constructed. It's fun, informative, and I'll bet you'll see why they're worth the $$!
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We have a 1999 and yes EVERYTHING on our coach still functions as it was born. We are more than happy with the quality. You will have to decide if the price is to your liking as stated earlier.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'm afraid I must add a not-so-stellar review of Newmar coaches. And not Newmar's construction per se but the recurring failures of the non-Newmar manufactured components.

We began our Newmar odyssey with a 2002 Kountry Star DP, and loved it. After 4 years we began looking at 45' Newmars and decided on the Mountain Aire (2007) primarily for the Comfort Drive (which I love). And then the headaches began.

I have stacks of repair paperwork running the gamut from 3 refrigerators, 4 roof air conditioner, repeated failures in the jack system, fogged windows, failed inverter, recurring failures of windshield wipers, 2 broken turbo exhaust pipes - the list goes on and on.

In Newmar's defense, they repaired all failures while under warranty, but that expired after 3 years, and required multiple long visits to the factory or dealerships (we were in Nappannee nearly 3 weeks one time); fortunately I purchased the extended warranty, and they too covered most things. This however soon expires and I am left wondering what I am going to do in the future as I have no confidence that the problems will miraculously go away.

So, bottom line is not every coach regardless of manufacturers reputation is going to be trouble free.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
At first I was looking at Monaco, then Thor, specifically the Palazzo. Now I'm inquiring about Newmar. They seem to be more expensive, but are they good quality motorhomes for the money?
Resist, you didn't say which model of Newmar that you were looking at so first I'll agree with some of the previous posts of doing a thorough visual inspection of the fit finish and what you may consider as quality. I looked closely at the Thor, Tiffin, Itasca, and Newmar and selected the Ventana for multiple reasons. Yes it cost more than the other comparable RV's but my selection was based on the Comfort Drive steering which is necessary for any short wheel base coach, the additional torque and H.P of the engine, overall appearance, and the fact that Newmar allowed me to customize the exterior paint. You will also need to do additional research on what you can't see, specifically the 16" center wall construction and additional support structure.

Now, coach is not without problems, but Newmar customer service has stepped up for all required repairs including a bad batch of cabinet doors which are splitting at the corners, so would I buy another Newmar, yes.

At this point, the only other models which I would consider is the Tiffin and Entegra (if they would make a shorter unit).
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
I'm afraid I must add a not-so-stellar review of Newmar coaches. And not Newmar's construction per se but the recurring failures of the non-Newmar manufactured components.

We began our Newmar odyssey with a 2002 Kountry Star DP, and loved it. After 4 years we began looking at 45' Newmars and decided on the Mountain Aire (2007) primarily for the Comfort Drive (which I love). And then the headaches began.

I have stacks of repair paperwork running the gamut from 3 refrigerators, 4 roof air conditioner, repeated failures in the jack system, fogged windows, failed inverter, recurring failures of windshield wipers, 2 broken turbo exhaust pipes - the list goes on and on.

In Newmar's defense, they repaired all failures while under warranty, but that expired after 3 years, and required multiple long visits to the factory or dealerships (we were in Nappannee nearly 3 weeks one time); fortunately I purchased the extended warranty, and they too covered most things. This however soon expires and I am left wondering what I am going to do in the future as I have no confidence that the problems will miraculously go away.

So, bottom line is not every coach regardless of manufacturers reputation is going to be trouble free.

Mark
Mark,

I'm so sorry for your trouble, but I want to point something obvious out here.

The components that failed on your coach are built outside of Newmar and are used on many other coach builder's product. The real story is that Newmar fixed all your issues so far.

How is the quality of the Newmar craftsmanship?
Did all these items work properly when you took delivery?
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
JMO, Newmar is a very well built coach, Monaco also, I personally would not go the Thor route.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
We are currently Tiffin owners looking at Tiffin, Newmar & Entegra brands for our 2nd coach. I used to think that Newmar was more expensive but when I looked deeper found them to offer comparable prices with everyone else. Additionally, only Newmar offers Comfort Drive which is REALLY COOL.

Tags
newmar, quality