Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #1

Is SurgeGuard Transfer Switch new for 2017 DS?

I just received a call from the tech working on prepping my coach for delivery later this week. The last 2 years I have had a Progressive Industries surge protector shipped to the dealership so they can install it. The reason he called me this morning is because he thought he noticed something different this year. He mentioned that the transfer switch was a SurgeGuard transfer switch. He assumed that it had built in surge protection. is this different, or has it always been this way and he did not notice?

Since he was looking for an answer I told him to go ahead and install my Progressive Industries too. I did this because I did not know if the stock transfer switch provided protection for low voltage, reverse polarity etc.

Did I make the right call or could I have returned the Progressive Industries unit? Also, this information may be helpful to those buying 2017 DS, in terms of not having to buy the PI surge protector if the conclusion is that I made the wrong decision.

Thanks.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
I just received a call from the tech working on prepping my coach for delivery later this week. The last 2 years I have had a Progressive Industries surge protector shipped to the dealership so they can install it. The reason he called me this morning is because he thought he noticed something different this year. He mentioned that the transfer switch was a SurgeGuard transfer switch. He assumed that it had built in surge protection. is this different, or has it always been this way and he did not notice?

Since he was looking for an answer I told him to go ahead and install my Progressive Industries too. I did this because I did not know if the stock transfer switch provided protection for low voltage, reverse polarity etc.

Did I make the right call or could I have returned the Progressive Industries unit? Also, this information may be helpful to those buying 2017 DS, in terms of not having to buy the PI surge protector if the conclusion is that I made the wrong decision.

Thanks.
I have used a Progressive hard-wired unit for years too. The SurgeGuard TS might have the same level of protection depending on the model. The unit installed in the 2016's have minimal level of protection and are not the higher end SurgeGuard units that I would want. Do you have a model number?
ewlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm curious about this as well. If it's the TRC Surge Guard RVC40350, it would cover most if not all the protections that are provided by the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. It would also be one less thing to purchase and install. Of course the warranty isn't as good as the PI.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am also interested in if you buy a new coach every year?
If so, how cool is that?
Old 08-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
I have used a Progressive hard-wired unit for years too. The SurgeGuard TS might have the same level of protection depending on the model. The unit installed in the 2016's have minimal level of protection and are not the higher end SurgeGuard units that I would want. Do you have a model number?

I do not have a model number. I did not ask the tech when he called me. Probably should have. But at that time it was a moot point because I told him to go ahead and install the Progressive Industries unit. I will post the model number later this week when I take delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch