Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Is the Oasis heating system problematic?

We are seriously considering a new coach, and it seems that virtually all of the Newmars now come with the Oasis heating system. There seem to be many posts on this forums...and others...regarding problems. Is the Oasis system actually problematic, or am I just now noticing the normal problem level of any heating system?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #2

I monitor sites with aqua hot boilers and it appears to me they are all prone to problems.
I replaced mine last year under warranty for loud banging but my previous Oasis was problem free.

Bob, Pat and Daisylee the JackABee
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #3

The Oasis heating system does have its problems, the Aqua Hot system in my friends coach also has its problems as well as any propane fired furnace. I like the Oasis so far, yes I had to replace a summer loop pump at 4 months.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #4

Those who have experience with the Oasis, is there a suggestion of spare parts, pumps, etc. to carry at all times?
From the posts I’ve seen, the pumps are an ongoing problem. Is the same pump # common with the others?

Seems like one giant step backwards for owners of new Newmars.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Had to replace my unit after two years due to bad weld that caused boiler fluid to lead and steam up the boiler box.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #6

Coastal Campers
Something to remember, this site is just a very small fraction of what is in operation. And, it is becoming colder and the Oasis units are getting fired up more frequently. Bet you can see a graph of issues stating late fall and tapering off late spring, then it starts again..
Just a guess???
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

I had aqua hot for 5 years in my previous coach. Replaced the pumps a few times. This is when AH was going thru two batches of bad pumps. I have been reading about the sludge in the lines as well.

I am going on my second year with Oasis. So far very pleased with the system. Little more noise than AH put it really puts out the hot water and heat. My opinion FWIW Oasis seems to be better.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is no question that the hydronic heating systems (Oasis, Aqua Hot) are more complex so more potential for problems. From what I have read on various forums, much of the issues with the newer units was due to bad components...mostly pumps. Stuff just doesn't seem to be made as well as in the past.

We love our Aqua Hot and it certainly has it advantages, especially if you use your coach in colder weather. However, I had no real complaints about my previous coach with a LP furnace and LP/Electric water heater.

Also, the hydronic units (especially those burning diesel fuel) need regular maintenance....just like an oil fired furnace. Periodic cleaning, new nozzle, electrode adjustment, etc. are critical to proper performance.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:36 AM   #9

We have only been in our coach a short time and this is our first experience with any type of hydronic system. Our previous 3 RVs had propane water heaters, propane central furnace, and no heat pumps. Three relatively simple systems to do minor repairs on and maintenance yourself. But not trouble free by any stretch.

I also read about the Oasis and Aqua Hot systems on the coaches we were considering (Tiffin and Newmar) prior to our purchase. The Oasis would have to perform trouble free only about 80% of the time to still be better than all the systems it is replacing IMHO.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - We have owned coaches with both AquaHot and Oasis heaters. In our opinion the Oasis is clearly superior and the design should prove to be less trouble prone. The shower temperatures are more consistent, the two electric elements are an advantage. With the two electric elements running and the floors turned on the coach doesn't require diesel to heat the coach down into the 40's. We were never able to do that with the AH (although the DS is better insulated than the Tiffin Allegro Bus was) and were unable to take even a short shower on electric when incoming water temperatures were low.

Tom
Old 12-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks for the personal observations and insights; they are helpful.

Just as background, we have been RVing for 47 years in travel trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes. All have had propane heaters/furnaces and water heaters. During that time, we have never had an issue with the propane heaters/furnaces or water heaters...not one. We did have a couple of electric water heater elements burn out and needed to periodically replace the sacrificial anodes in the tank, but nothing involving the propane side. Maybe we were just extraordinarily lucky.

That said, I am all for eliminating the propane issue; no tank to fill, no leak potential or explosive/fire possibility. I get that. I'm just concerned about the spate of problems I am hearing about the Oasis system.

For the most part, it probably isn't too much of a problem for us as most of our heating is done via the heat pumps and they are still in place. We rarely use the motorhome in sub-freezing temperatures.

The primary concern is hot water for showers, etc. From what I'm hearing, the electric heating elements in Oasis do a pretty good job. That leaves the circulation system as the only real problem for us...and, that seems to be where the majority of the issues are.

Is there even a all-electric water heater (with tank) option? That would resolve most of the problem for us.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I have had both propane furnace and the Oasis and the Oasis wins hands down. I have had the Oasis for three years now and has been nearly trouble free. If needed Customer service is great in assisting with trouble shooting and will sent parts to fix. Oasis is a good system and like everything else doing annual maintenance is a key.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any system no matter what it is needs maintenance which we fine some over look and the vibrations on roads will cause problems also.
This link covers the OASIS System as to operation and maintenance.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Two coaches in last 5 years, both with Oasis systems, and both have had significant issues early on (distribution module leak, faulty pumps). Once repaired the units have been trouble free. Looks to me like the initial quality control is poor, but after repair they have worked as advertised and I wouldn't want to be without them.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating