Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #85

Negotiation

I recently asked a very similar question on this forum about an attainable Newmar Bay Star discount and received many friendly and helpful responses. The consensus opinion was 25% off of msrp was very realistic. A little more discount without a trade in.
The only time I negotiated for an rv, I decided what I would pay before starting and would not budge. We did not own an rv at the time, but had previously. During the negotiations we stayed calm and friendly, acknowledging their position that they need to make a profit, which they always mention. However I nicely let them know we really did not need the rv and understood if they could not sell at my price. Not relishing the game, my first offer was my last. You are in a much better position if you negotiate with yourself first on the discount you need, to make it a happy transaction for yourself. Once they realize that you truly are a little ambivalent about the purchase, the chances that they will sell on your terms is very good.
Don't worry about the dealer, he is not concerned with your welfare, except as far as keeping you as a customer. Nobody can force them to make a bad deal. Dealers know that to make the most sales, more profit will be made from some than others and they need sales from all buyer types. Just like some customers are more difficult after delivery than others.
If you would like 25% off just ask for that, but don't threaten them with going elsewhere. You have to stay likable too when negotiating, just respond that maybe you will wait until the market is more favorable. If they respond that it will get less favorable, than reply with something like maybe it would make more sense to just upgrade what we have. Turn your emotions off, it is about numbers nothing else. The dealer is not going to build the Bay Star for you. Be ready to deny your own gratification and wait for them to buckle if you want a good price. Personally I would do a factory order because if you wait to find one on a lot, you will be worried about another buyer taking it from you. You have just lost all your leverage and any chance at self discipline. One good thing about getting the best price possible is you will be able to console yourself with that thought, the first time your slideout gets stuck open.
When I asked my question about discount expectations it was because it had been 22 years since my last rv purchase and did not know if the marketing of rvs had changed and apparently they are the same, which is fine.

Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #86

Thor Owners Club
^ Well said.
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar offers a 10cu ft residential Frigidaire.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the MSRP is a number developed by mystical people who are in the marketing department. They use a ouija board, darts, market analysis to set a price they think is palatable for the focus group.

That number is then discounted so we think we are getting a good deal. What is the true cost of the unit? They will never share that with us as we would likely be shocked.

A big discount is nice but as well a solid dealer who will provide superior service both during and after the purchase is worth some money.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #89

I will take discount over dealer service since that is in the pocket. Dealerships sell and employees that gave great service for the dealership leave to go elsewhere. Older owners retire and the children that take over may feel they need to cut corners or they may turn a bad dealership around. It will always be an unknown.
Getting a discount of five percent more on a three hundred dollar repair will not get me driving five hundred miles but when talking about
an item that has an MSRP of four hundred thousand... I can fly somewhere for that.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
We factory ordered to our spec and received a bit better than a 24% discount off the MSRP. We have been happy knowing that's what we were able to get. Could we have held out for more? Perhaps. It's all about whatever works for you. Good luck. Newmar offers a great product.