Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #1

Is this normal?

We were returning from a short 3 day trip to Paynes Prairie Perserve State Park in Florida and I went over some railroad tracks. All of a sudden we were getting a warning signal and finally noticed it was the Stabilizer jacks warning light and buzzer. Luckily I was able to pull over and check and everything seemed normal under the coach. I did, hit the raise button on the system and the buzzer and light went off. It was weird but just seemed like the end of the world at that time. LOL

I can't believe this is normal but may have been one of those things? Like the unexplained such as UFO's or Bigfoot.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Not normal, but it has happened to many of us.

Never turn the system off, hit the store button and let the system turn itself off.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #3

Thanks Route 66 sounds like sound advice. Since I am very new to motorhomes I was a little worried, especially since ours is a 2005. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may have a couple of weak springs on one of the jacks and the jolt cause one of the jack pistons to drop only has to drop a 1/2 " to activate the jack alarm and you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #5

Thanks 007 looks like Max Hubrich's spring removal post may be in my near future.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
What was the OAT (outside air temperature)? This can be QUITE common if the OAT is high causing the hydraulic fluid to expand and extend (slightly) the jack piston. Reach over and depress the retract switch and problem is solved. The OAT with the jarring of the tracks may have been enough to unseat a jack. Our Beaver Patriot use to do this quite often when the OAT climbed.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=myshaggydog;1897677].... we were getting a warning signal and finally noticed it was the Stabilizer jacks warning light and buzzer. .... hit the raise button on the system and the buzzer and light went off. .. /QUOTE]

Happens to me occasionally, too. Could be a piston dropping a bit, or could be the switch jarring. I don't know the exact config of the switch, but there's no cause for panic. Remember, the light and tone are NOT saying the jack is down, they're saying the jack is not full up.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #8

Thanks John. I will keep an eye on this going forward. Appreciate your comment.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshaggydog View Post
We were returning from a short 3 day trip to Paynes Prairie Perserve State Park in Florida and I went over some railroad tracks. All of a sudden we were getting a warning signal and finally noticed it was the Stabilizer jacks warning light and buzzer. Luckily I was able to pull over and check and everything seemed normal under the coach. I did, hit the raise button on the system and the buzzer and light went off. It was weird but just seemed like the end of the world at that time. LOL

I can't believe this is normal but may have been one of those things? Like the unexplained such as UFO's or Bigfoot.
It is not normal but it is a common problem. Happens occasionally to some of us. Sounds like a new set of retract springs are in your future. Good luck..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #10

Another update - As we were returning from out latest outing we went over a pot hole and the levelers alarm went off. This time I noticed that the leveler control pad came on and as soon as I pushed "off" the alarm was gone. Must have been what happened when I went over the railroad tracks the first time. So if this happens to you be sure to check the leveler control pad first. Thanks again for every ones help.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the jacks are fully retracted, (No silver showing) and the alarm is sounding, and the control panel says POWER GEAR, and they are hydraulic.

Here is what happend. The jack fluid (Likely Dextron III) is in a steel tank, Dextron III and steel have different coefficients of expansion (As they get hotter and colder they grow/shrink at different rates)

So in the Hot times, you lost a bit of fluid,, Now it's cold so you have a bit less in ye-old tank.

When you hit the tank the float that senses the level was jarred and dropped a bit.. Just enough to set off the JACKS DOWN alarm.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

Add a bit of fluid to the jacks hydraulic tank
Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #13

Thanks and I will do when I can figure out where the fill tank is. LOL I will dig out my documentation and find out where the tank is. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #14

I experienced the same issue and even had my unit to the HWH factory for repairs. A helpful technician gave me the following advise. Let the unit retract the legs automatically and when all the lights have gone off, turn unit off and then back on. Hit level button and then manually hold the retract arrows for 30 seconds. Shut unit off until you are about to travel. At this point travel with the store button on. By following this procedure you are allowing the jacks to fully empty rather then shutting off the valves when they reach the lower limit. We have done this and have not had the dreaded alarm since. Hope this makes sense.