Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Is this pic of the what would display back up camera on 04 Mountain Air?

Click image for larger version

Name:	3477.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	152121
I'm looking at buying a 2004 Mountain Aire 4018 and they sent me a pic that I'm kinda confused on what all it would display. Would the back up camera display on this too, if so how does the driver see it. Seems like it would not be easy to see while driving.
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 AM   #2

While backing up, you're going "dead slow", so the size/location of the screen displayed in this picture seems consistent with the size of monitor used by motorhome mfgr's 13 years ago. I replaced my ADTH b/w monitor with a 7" wireless screen/back-up camera system which is superior to the original equipment on a 2002 Newmar Kountry Star DP.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #3

Yes, this is the backup camera. I had an '05 Mountain Aire with the unified Sony Nav- Camera-Radio-XM unit. The rear view camera was fine as was the sound system for the cab. The Navigation was DVD based and I did not like it and thus purchase a 7" Garmin RV specific gps unit in about '07-08. There was so simply too much stuff going on the one screen for me. The Nav was just not up to par for my liking after having used Garmin for years. I believe Newmar go away from the combo units as our new coach does combine the Nav-Radio with the cameras. Also, it was a backup camera only, no side view cameras. Great coach otherwise!
Dngreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
While backing up, you're going "dead slow", so the size/location of the screen displayed in this picture seems consistent with the size of monitor used by motorhome mfgr's 13 years ago. I replaced my ADTH b/w monitor with a 7" wireless screen/back-up camera system which is superior to the original equipment on a 2002 Newmar Kountry Star DP.
I bet we will want to upgrade the back-up camera too. Is the original equipment back-up screen removable? Then we can put a new one some where else.

Thanks
Jen
Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngreen51 View Post
Yes, this is the backup camera. I had an '05 Mountain Aire with the unified Sony Nav- Camera-Radio-XM unit. The rear view camera was fine as was the sound system for the cab. The Navigation was DVD based and I did not like it and thus purchase a 7" Garmin RV specific gps unit in about '07-08. There was so simply too much stuff going on the one screen for me. The Nav was just not up to par for my liking after having used Garmin for years. I believe Newmar go away from the combo units as our new coach does combine the Nav-Radio with the cameras. Also, it was a backup camera only, no side view cameras. Great coach otherwise!
Defiantly need to get a GPS based navigation system. I wonder if we can ad side view cameras, I'm sure there is lots out there to look at for upgrading electronics. I know we will get a tire pressure monitoring system too.

Thanks
Jen
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
I bet we will want to upgrade the back-up camera too. Is the original equipment back-up screen removable? Then we can put a new one some where else.

Thanks
Jen
I guess I wasn't clear enough with my comment. Yes, I did replace BOTH the monitor and back-up camera. ADTH tech support told me the existing back-up camera would NOT work with a new-wireless-color monitor.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the same system in my 2003 Mountain Aire. It works very well. The info you see on the screen in the picture is a check list that appears when the ignition switch is turned on. You can select from a number of screens that show info about the engine performance, maintenance needs, as well as three trip computers. You can also select a screen that only shows the rear camera view alone. The unit also incorporates am/fm radio functions. And I believe you can connect multiple cameras although I have not seen a need to do this. Mine does not have the nav option or the tire monitor option. I have implemented these functions separately. Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wborst View Post
I have the same system in my 2003 Mountain Aire. It works very well. The info you see on the screen in the picture is a check list that appears when the ignition switch is turned on. You can select from a number of screens that show info about the engine performance, maintenance needs, as well as three trip computers. You can also select a screen that only shows the rear camera view alone. The unit also incorporates am/fm radio functions. And I believe you can connect multiple cameras although I have not seen a need to do this. Mine does not have the nav option or the tire monitor option. I have implemented these functions separately. Hope this helps.

Bill
Yes, this helps thank you
Old 02-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

To display the Trip-Tec/backup camera on that display, the stereo unit has to be on with the display screen flipped up and the engine has to be running and "backup camera" switch on center console turned on.

My 2004 MADP had this exact system. The screen displays the entertainment system information as well as the GPS and Trip-Tec output overlaid on the backup (rear view actually) camera view. You can page through the Trip-Tec display pages, one page of which is "off" for a clear view of the backup camera view.

I just ripped out this system and completely replaced it last week with modern components. I already had a Garmin RV760 to replace the outdated GPS. Then I put in a Pioneer DEH-X7800BHS AM/FM/CD/HD/Bluetooth/XM unit with front USB and auxiliary input. I don't need a 6 disk CD changer any more. Then, I mounted a Pyle 7" dual input monitor that the existing Trip-Tec/backup camera single RCA/composite video cable just plugs into. The whole system works great.

That original Pioneer system cost thousands of dollars when new but it cost about $500 to replace it with modern equipment. I am just reusing the Trip-Tec system and original backup camera.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
To display the Trip-Tec backup camera on that display, the stereo has to be on and the engine has to be running and "backup camera" switch on center console turned on.

My 2004 MADP had this exact system. The screen displays the entertainment system information as well as the GPS and Trip-Tec output overlaid on the backup camera view. You can page through the Trip-Tec pages, one page of which is "off" for a clear view of the backup camera view.

I just ripped out this system and completely replaced it last week with modern components. I already had a Garmin RV760 to replace the outdated GPS. Then I put in a Pioneer DEH-X7800BHS AM/FM/CD. HD/Bluetooth/XM unit with front USB and auxiliary input. Don't need a 6 disk CD changer any more. Then, I mounted a Pyle 7" dual input monitor that the existing Trip-Tec/backup camera single RCA/composite cable just plus into.

That original Pioneer system cost thousands of dollars when new but it cost about $400 to replace it with modern equipment.
Thanks for the information, going to add this to my list of stuff to research.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #11

Looking closer, that one does not appear to have the GPS Pioneer add-on. You would rip it out anyhow if it did.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #12

Back-up camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
while backing up, you're going "dead slow", so the size/location of the screen displayed in this picture seems consistent with the size of monitor used by motorhome mfgr's 13 years ago. I replaced my adth b/w monitor with a 7" wireless screen/back-up camera system which is superior to the original equipment on a 2002 newmar kountry star dp.
i have a 2002 mountan aire gas coach & the back-up camera just
quit working, would love yo to put in wirless unit. Could you let me know how you did it (have monitor in swing down ). Wich unit did you purchase & how did you install the units.
Need help !!!
big piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by big piggy View Post
quit working, would love yo to put in wirless unit. Could you let me know how you did it (have monitor in swing down ). Wich unit did you purchase & how did you install the units.
Need help !!!
The monitor in my Kountry Star was mounted in a hole in the dash, about 6"wide X 6" tall. The "new" color monitor is 7" wide X 5 1/2" tall, leaving about 1 1/2" opening at the bottom of the original hole. This new colored monitor is about 1/2" thick and weighs 5 OZ's or so and is attached with velcro along both sides and top of the existing hole. Wiring from the old B/W monitor was used for the 12V power supply for the new monitor. The old B/W camera high-up on the rear cap was removed and the new camera was installed in it's place. I used the 12V wires from the center marker light as the power source for the camera by simply splicing into both wires (power & ground). In order for the back-up camera to work, I need to have my headlights on because the marker lights are on the same system, which isn't a problem for me because I always drive with my headlights on anyway.
I bought this back-up camera/monitor on EBAY almost 2 years ago. I've noticed they've come down in price to around $60. The only negative is these wireless systems operate on the ever popular 2.4GHZ network, so while traveling down the road in and around cities, you do experience some picture loss due to the volume of use on the 2.4GHZ network. This new system is great for knowing when you've cleared a car or truck you've just passed because you can see the passed vehicle on the right side of the monitor.
By the way, the ADTH tech told me, if I wanted to update to a new, WIRED system, I'd need to run a new cable, the cable used with the original B/W would NOT work with a colored monitor and colored camera. Running a new wire from the upper rear cap down to the frame, then forward to the front of the M/H wasn't something I was interested in doing. The only other thing, make sure, if you buy a wireless system it states it has a range of 10 meters or more. The back-up systems for cars don't come with the stubby antenna which you'll need if the monitor is 35' - 40' from the back-up camera.
A final thought, if I can wire these components into the 12 V system and get this system to work on the first attempt, ANYONE can do the same.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by big piggy View Post
Need help !!!
Did the monitor quit or did the backup camera quit? It makes a difference. Depending on what isn't working it may be an easy fix, or you could just spend more and replace the whole system.

Tags
camera