Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

Is two AC units on 40' Ventana enough in 95+ southern summers?

I've been wrestling with the 4037 vs 4369 decision for months, and I'm now within weeks of needing to decide.

As much as the huge shower and dual vanity is appealing, as I camp in state parks a lot, and sometimes Corp parks, I've about decided settling for the small corner shower is worth it to save the three feet in length, including the narrower turning radius.

Then I just remembered the other factor, which is you can't get a third AC in the 40' Ventana, and that has my wife worried, as she doesn't do well with heat.

We will mostly camp in Arkansas, Texas, Tenn, Florida, etc. Where it can easily be 95-105* with high humidity. Does the Newmar insulation really make up for the fact that it only has two AC units? I think a lot of 40' units from other brands have, or offer as an option, a third AC unit.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
There has been many discussions on this subject, I can tell you that I live in So Cal and had a 38 foot Canyon Star with Two AC’s and there were times that it was warm, especially if the sun was hitting the windshield. When ordering my Dutch Star 3 AC’s was top of my list. You can do things to help, like turning the AC on early to stay ahead of the heat and I understand that external windshield covers help a lot.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #3

I added a third a/c unit on my 38’ TT. There was no provision for one; I cut the hole and ran the electrical. If you are in love with the coach, the third a/c can be added... it just takes some custom work.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #4

We have a 37’ Ventana with two airs. We too like state parks. We option for the Polar Pak (additional insulation). We were in Las Vegas with 115*F outside. The two airs did just fine (for us). I don’t currently have a Magne Shade for the front window, but it is my to do list. If the 40 foot coach fills your needs, go with the Polar Pak upgrade and you should be okay with two A/C’s.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had two 13.5 heat pumps on our '02 40' DSDP and never felt that wasn't enough. We did have the optional roof insulation package and dual pane windows however.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would definitely add the Magne Shades, they make a huge difference. We do fine as long as we close up windows & doors early & turn on both ACs. Without the front shades 2 ACs couldn't keep up.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
40', (2) 15k A/C's..dual pane windows thru out, insulation up the ying yang, including basement..
110 deg heat no breeze. did ok, kept the interior about 78 deg with all the exterior window shades deployed.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:29 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our previous coach was 37' with two units - it could not keep up on those really hot days. Current coach, not a Newmar, rather 40' Triffin, with three units. Really stays cool. Also fast cool down at other times. Plus redundancy should one fail. Three is a must for us after having three. Kinda surprised Newmar doesn't offer three on the 4037.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Floor plan should be your decision maker not AC’s. I have a 4037 and it cools fine. You have to know the glass is your enemy in all coaches. Shades need to be down and be cooling before the heat not after. Magne Shades help. Awnings help even the window awnings on the drivers side.

I talked to Ken Williams from Newmar at FMCA/Perry about a 3rd AC unit and he said it’s not recommended as they require a certain amount of air flow. I’m guessing the return and this is why it’s not on a 40 or smaller.

40ft is a long coach as are 43+.

Floor plan is the most important. The larger shower you will love although the 4037 shower gets the job done. It’s a trade up in camping vs a home on wheels. We lose sight of that.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We optioned PolarPak in the roof and added the awnings on the driver's side windows...ordered our Magne shades a month before CPU. The only time we notice the heat is when we haven't attached our Magne Shades. The coach has always been comfortable.

Heat pumps are running this morning. We usually stagger the thermostat zones. Zone 1 a little skewed from Zone 2...that way the bedroom stays quieter. The two units share a common duct. And when it really gets cold...Oasis has been awesome.

OUR previous 30ft Fifth Wheel had a single 13.5 unit. It would get up to 82 degrees inside on a summer day, no shade...with the unit working non-stop.

I think Newmar got it right.

Don't rule out Auto Gen Start...and the Electrical Load management system. The first does an excellent job when dry camping or to back up shore power in the event of a shore power failure or lack of shore power. The later makes it possible to run two a/c units when connected to 30A power in State Parks...or at Rallys...without a hassle.

We have two Samoyeds... As you can imagine...cool air is important when you wear a white fur coat all the time. We just dry camped at the FMCA Rally for six nights...and had to use everything. Two nights in the low thirties with Oasis going. A couple of days where the windows were cracked and the Fantastic Fans set to come on by thermostat. And a few afternoons of running A/C on the generator. Auto Gen Start was setup to operate as needed during the days we where out. Pups were very comfortable the whole time.

Florida is our home...and we RV year round. (No potable anti-freeze used in our rig)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #11

Went through this decision last summer when we were trading. After having a 40' Phaeton (with 2 ac's) and then a 42' Phaeton (with 3 ac's ) I swore I would never have another 40'+ MH without 3 ac's. I did a lot of research and bought a 4037 Ventana with 2 ac's. I don't regret my decision. Make sure you have the 1500 BTU ac's and the added polar pac insulation. I didn't want a 44' MH which the 4369 is. The 4037 is really a 41' MH. If the added 3 feet doesn't bother you then buy the 4369. If you decide on the 4037 I think you will be happy with 2 ac's. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #12

Tnedator, I forgot to add that I also live in Ark. and camp a lot in this area. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #13

another consideration is whether you are needing to run 3 all at the same time(power requirements) or whether you are mostly concerned with getting air back into the far end of the coach(bathroom probably?)....

to me, air movement is the most important aspect of 'cooling', not necessarily whether it's one ac unit or two. We place fans at places where they are needed to move the air around.

but, everyone is different when it comes to how you 'feel' about being 'hot'... some can handle it better than others. Humidity is probably the biggest drawback, not the temp itself. Air movement keeps you from feeling that the heavy 'humidity' is surrounding you...

my wife complains quickly that it's 'cold!' in the winter, when it's only 52 degrees, but come summer she's quick to turn down the thermostat because she's so 'hot!'... and it's only 82. For me, though, a fan makes all the difference, regardless of the temp.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
Went through this decision last summer when we were trading. After having a 40' Phaeton (with 2 ac's) and then a 42' Phaeton (with 3 ac's ) I swore I would never have another 40'+ MH without 3 ac's. I did a lot of research and bought a 4037 Ventana with 2 ac's. I don't regret my decision. Make sure you have the 1500 BTU ac's and the added polar pac insulation. I didn't want a 44' MH which the 4369 is. The 4037 is really a 41' MH. If the added 3 feet doesn't bother you then buy the 4369. If you decide on the 4037 I think you will be happy with 2 ac's. Bill
The 44' worries me for a few reasons. It will be really tight for my garage. I'm worried about some of the state parks and corp parks. I know quite a few of the Arkansas parks will fit it, but that's a lot of coach, especially since I'm currently sitting at 31'.

It's really tough, because some people say it's no problem, others say, two ACs aren't enough, others say, just be careful of the windows. One tough thing is different people have different heat tolerances. Some people are perfectly fine with a coach being 80 degrees, my wife would not be one of them.

I plan to get a magna shade and the optional window awnings which I figure I can deploy when really hot and not in shade.

At home, my wife like's to sleep with the bedroom around 68*. While she could probably live with it being a bit warmer, if it's 76-80+, she will be miserable.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventana, vent