Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #57

Have to say it would be an easy decision for me based on the "happy wife, happy life theory"! If your wife "really" dislikes being overly warm, then....keeping in mind how long you may have this new coach, I would go with the larger MH and do the 3 AC's with Dual Panes and Front Shade.

Keep your wife Cool the way she likes it and your chances for a Happier Life will go up.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Have to say it would be an easy decision for me based on the "happy wife, happy life theory"! If your wife "really" dislikes being overly warm, then....keeping in mind how long you may have this new coach, I would go with the larger MH and do the 3 AC's with Dual Panes and Front Shade.

Keep your wife Cool the way she likes it and your chances for a Happier Life will go up.
Which brings me to the second half the conundrum, wrapped in an enigma, disguised as a puzzle.

The wife wants her cake, and not only wants to eat it too, she wants it calorie free.

She's the one that's massively concerned about the length of the 4369 and problems finding camping spots, etc. Once I saw that shower and found out it's basically the same price as the 4037 (when going all electric, because the Oasis is standard on the 43 footers), I figured it was an easy decision.
tnedator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Am I undestanding correctly that they only include a 7500W generator on the Ventana, even if it has 3 AC's? Have people been able to get by using all 3 AC's at the same time? I thought through my research when we were buying, 3 AC's automatically meant going to a 10K.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I fact you will be amazed at how fast the fantastic fans exchange the inside air, crack a window and turn it on, within 15 minutes or less your inside and outside temps are the same. Great for getting the heat of the day out, then shut fan and window, crank ACs

Unfortunately, doing so also makes the humidity inside the same as outside. In extremely humid areas, that makes lack of a/c an even bigger issue.

Each owner has to evaluate his/her situation:

Camper size (cubic, not square, feet)
Camper exterior color (light or dark)
Camping locals (dry or humid regions)
Tolerance for heat (what temp do you like)
Like shades open or closed

Me, I have a 38’ TT with three slides. It is not a big 5er, but two -a/c units were not enough for us. I like it 68 or less. Our TT is dark and I like to keep the shades open (although I didn’t when trying to keep it cool). All of this of course is when it is 95 or higher in the humid midwest. If our camper had two 15k units spaced equally apart, that might have sufficed... however the two units favored the front half and the bunkhouse was always hot. I installed a third unit in the bunkhouse. Now... I can run all three — or just the ones I need depending on weather — and things are nice and cool. Oh, and I also let the sunshine in which does wonders for the experience.

I have one 15k (main unit) and two 13.5k units (master and bunkhouse).

Guess where all the fun takes place? People love walking in to a 65 degree camper when it is 100 outside! [emoji846]
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Am I undestanding correctly that they only include a 7500W generator on the Ventana, even if it has 3 AC's? Have people been able to get by using all 3 AC's at the same time? I thought through my research when we were buying, 3 AC's automatically meant going to a 10K.
It may be just me, however, I really don't see many folks with this size of an obviously beautiful rig doing much Boondocking and/or any type of Camping/Glamping sans Electricity???

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
It may be just me, however, I really don't see many folks with this size of an obviously beautiful rig doing much Boondocking and/or any type of Camping/Glamping sans Electricity???

Possibly, but we average about 250 hours / year on the Onan. Often running all 3 AC's. Maybe we are the exception to the rule. I would definitely want to know that my genny could handle the load.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Possibly, but we average about 250 hours / year on the Onan. Often running all 3 AC's. Maybe we are the exception to the rule. I would definitely want to know that my genny could handle the load.
Based on the many, many posts/threads I've read, this is what I've gleaned.

Onan rates the 8kw generator as two AC units plus something like 2500 watts extra capacity. In practice, people say, and I think Newmar has said it works fine, to run the three AC units on generator and if other electric loads are at risk of overloading the genny, they will be shed by the load management.

I know on the Ventana, when you get the three AC units it's packaged with the energy management system.
tnedator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #64

I am reviving this thread because I'm about to take a trip to Las Vegas and Utah in my 4018 Dutch Star with only 2 ac units. Has anyone considered using a portable window ac as a third unit? Maybe at the drivers window because of the way it opens.
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I full time in my coach in SW Louisiana (if you can find it on the map, Hackberry to be exact), during the week and some weekends, for work. It gets hot in the mid to high 90's with the occasional 100+. The humidity here is the issue, it is some of the most oppressive I have ever experienced and I grew up and live in the Houston area. The coach has the polar pack option and two 15 kBTU heat pumps. I keep the t-stats set on 72 during the day (yes, I like it cool especially after working all day outdoors in the heat in FRC's) and the indoor temp usually runs around 74 deg F. when I get "home". Then I turn the fans on HI and it helps to catch up for the evening.

Most of the heat is generated in the front area where the windows are not tinted. My coach faces due South and the windshield gets the sun. The bedroom stays cool all day long with no problems.

I am going to have the clear heat rejecting film, it's legal, installed on the front windshield. And, I am going to get the front side windows treated with a film that is the darkest legal in TX and designed specifically for double pane windows. That should help some. The clear stuff is pretty expensive though, but it will be worth it.

I have a feeling that if I can get the front taken care of with the films, it will be MUCH better.

For the so-so winters we experience, no problem. I just would like to have seen a larger or double radiator in the bedroom for the OASIS system. I see the room in the cubby area and might try to piggy back another radiator in there.
ScotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #66

We are from south Louisiana and do extensive tailgating for the baseball season. This means running 3 a/c's all weekend on asphalt parking lots. Heat unbelievable. 8000 onan runs everything, just can't run everything at once. Heat element water,microwave, cook top, hair dryer, etc. You can run one or two just not all. Only time we blew a fuse was when the wife had the cook top and microwave going together with the ac's.
2016 43 foot ventana
Old 07-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #67

Has anyone tried a portable AC in addition to the only 2 ACs for a 40 ft Dutch Star. I will have Magne Shade on but with temps well over 100 in Vegas I am concerned.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #68

I used a portable air conditioner in addition my 2 roof top units in 2018. I have microair soft starts on both roof top units. Sam’s Club sell a portable unit no draining. The combination kept the MC cold with reflectix in the windows include the front windshield & 3 curtain blackout panels on a 8 ft rod located behind the captain chairs.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last year I was in Williams, AZ and Vegas in my 2013 4347 DSDP with day time temps over 100F.

Our front air went out about 4 hours from the time we left Texas and I couldn't get a repair until we reached Los Angeles, CA.

I was worried, but it ended up being a non issue.

We kept magna shades on while parked, and closed front night shades. The unit stayed around 72F during the day, and at night it was a non issue.

You should have no problem with the 4018, dont stress.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:27 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Last year I was in Williams, AZ and Vegas in my 2013 4347 DSDP with day time temps over 100F.

Our front air went out about 4 hours from the time we left Texas and I couldn't get a repair until we reached Los Angeles, CA.

I was worried, but it ended up being a non issue.

We kept magna shades on while parked, and closed front night shades. The unit stayed around 72F during the day, and at night it was a non issue.

You should have no problem with the 4018, dont stress.
Thanks redbaron, good to know.

Tags
ventana, vent