Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Is your driver-side "shade" useless and slapping around???

So, you are driving due west in the middle of the day. Mr. Sun is blasting through your driver side window (yep, due south). You lower the powered driver side window "shade" - that see through just hanging there beast. It does nothing against that blazing sun. Worst of all it just flaps and slaps and bangs against the window. Arghhh....

This may only perfectly fit the EX, but measure yours to be sure.

Call Jeanne and get Newmar p/n 78026, "Power front visor, 39 3/4(w) x 26 1/2(l)" length pretty much irrelevant. It has the anti-flap cross bracing like your power front "visors." Note the difference between "shade" and visor." It has a solid black block-out section that blocks the sun, It can be lowered to right above your high mount mirrors thus not blocking your mirror in any way - yet it will block the sun all the way to the horizon. Best of all, it is the lowest priced of these "visor" options in the entire Newmar inventory. Jeanne and I personally checked every other of the couple dozen other options. And let me tell you those prices vary wildly for these things up there - go figure. It was a slow day in the middle of customer-barren January (now why is that?). This part is $250 at the winter at Newmar pricing. It'll be (substantially) more if not winter or not at Newmar priced.

This "visor" literally screws in using the same mounting holes as the original "shade" (at least on the EX) and uses the same 2 conductor wire-screw-capped wiring. Super easy install, though a physically awkward installation.

Combined with the new Newmar mirror glare blocker part this makes an unbeatable combination for total solar management of the driving westward or just plain old glaring type.

Enjoy!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #2

Jeff can you post a photo?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I hope they don't bang like the fronts do when they are up. I put a 1" piece of armaflex around mine to keep them from flopping. Factory rubber bumpers wasn't enough.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #4

I have a lot of banging and rattling from my front and pull down shades in my '07 Dutch Star. AK - are you talking about quieting down shades like those?

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Yes. The stiffing rods that jack knife down from the front shades and when retracted flop around. so I cut 1" strips off a length of pipe insulation and slide it over the ends when up. Drove me nuts. Now have no noise.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #6

My Ventana came with stiff, black powered sun visors. They work great!
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I glued magnets to the bottom edge of my driver's side shade, then more magnets to the top rim of the power window frame. I lower the shade until the magnets line up. No more banging.

joe
Old 03-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

Yup, when we ordered our coach we ordered the solid black ones for both driver and passenger windows and an extra one for up front between the two windshield ones.

However we have come up with a better replacement-good ole pulldown shades from Lowe's. About $60 each and they work better(replaced two of the black ones) and match our coach interior(biege). Also put a large pulldown on the windshield that covers the entire window with no sun coming thru! They can be seen on sticky "quick tips......".
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had the side shades but during one trip the passenger one fell so since they really weren't all that effective we pulled the driver side shade down too. They were also noisy besides. Absolutely stupid useless accessory. No I just wear those senior Florida sun glasses and a cap.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
RvDude: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also thinkin about gettin one of Nevin's glare shields for that elevated mirror problem.

Boy, like I've said, those design guys should be REQUIRED to road test their doggone design ideas by taking a long cross country trek in a rig w. their new design idea installed, BEFORE they hit the market w. it. I really think their overall driver/psngr. cockpit features haven't been very well thought out...ie., glaring overhead rear view mirrors, banging and useless shades/visors, zeor level dash or console areas on which a driver can place anything, etc.

Still,....I LOVE our EX!!! It's a GREAT machine....and.. home!!

Steve
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #11

Yup, by replacing them with the pull down shades we were able to elimnate the equally useless drapes!