Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #1

ISM/K2 Turbo output exhaust pipe cracking

If anyone has had the ISM turbo output exhaust pipe crack on a K2 you might want to go look again. It might crack again. Here's a pic/posting about it. This is also a general K2 issue, not just a Newmar thing as all K2 builders have been known to misplace the clamp positions for their convenience and against Spartan design which is what causes the cracking.

There is a newly redesigned replacement exhaust tube that now incorporates a flex fitting right after the turbo clamp to alleviate this problem. Sorry I didn't get a pic of it. Take a look at your turbo outlet pipe, right next to the turbo outlet clamp and see if there is any cracking of the pipe. You can see most of what you need from underneath. A more through looksie by opening the rear hatch.

Just another friendly FYI for the DIY looker!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
RVDude:

G'morning from Tampa! Just read your post about cracked turbo output exhaust pipe on ISM K2's (that's us w. our 08, 4502, 500 ISM Essex) and, ofcourse, I'm now concerned.

As we are currently set up and settled low down (ie., air down, jacks down, slides out, etc.) I can't physically fit underneath rear of coach to even begin looking for this location of the "turbo output exhaust pipe", even if I knew where to look. Since I'm pretty mechanically inept and, frankly afraid to mess with components I don't know about, is this something I can wait to have Newmar check out for me during our upcoming June 09 appt.? Thanks. (Boy, I envy and admire you guys who know what your doing and how to fix it!!) Steve

Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #3

If you can pull the rear hatch cover over the motor you'll have an easy birds eye view of what you need to see w/o any crawling under. It's not a common problem but any Cummins location can also do the 5 second inspection for you. I'd just ask Newmar to take a looksie when you get her up there. I ran for quite a while with it completely broke off - no worries - before I patched it up. You'll just get a little exhaust smell in the bedroom.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
RVDude: Thanks. I'll probably try to take a look through the hatch which I have yet ever to remove, but will have Newmar check it also. Steve
Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #5

The wood trim above the cover and below the mirror just snaps on (some might use velcro instead). Carefully "pry" it off - it's one peice 12" high and 4' long or so. You'll find (after digging your finger tips around) maybe 4-5 screws hidden in the carpet along the edge of the cover. Just unscrew them and the whole cover lifts off.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #6

I was driving home last night when I noticed a lot of engine exhaust noise while climbing a grade a WOT. I also noticed a lot of exhaust noise when the jake brake activated. Said to myself "Self, I bet the turbo outlet pipe just failed". Sure enough, I crawled under the MH, and noticed a perfect guillotine fracture in the exhaust pipe. Contacted Spartan and was told of the new fix...It's a five (5) piece pipe setup with a piece a flex pipe to allow for system movement and vibration. My guess is that it's a fatigue failure due to vibration.

So if your rig sounds like you just installed a set of glass-pac mufflers...check your turbo exhaust pipe.

BTW Spartan will replace on their nickel.....That's why I LOVE Spartan Chassis....It's the service even if you're just out of warranty!

Regards,

Sebastian
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the reminder sx! I did forget to mention that they found my pipe was just beginning to crack, yep, again. Instant pipe replacement! The fix is the new flex pipe equipped exhaust pipe as sx said above. Spartan! They are da best! Sorry I did not get a pic of it. Will try in the future, it's hard to see the flex pipe when installed. Also looks like lots of stainless steel in the new setup too!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #8

I currently sitting at Spartan. They'll be replacing the Turbo Outlet Pipe today. My jury-rigged fix worked pretty well.... well enough to get me here. I split two (2) large juice cans, wrapped and clapped them around the pipe and turbo outlet. Still a small leak, but a lot less noise.

Sebastian
Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #9

sx - make sure you get the new design, a small section of flex pipe right near the turbo outlet end. That'll give the pipe the flex it needs w/o cracking it. Nice fix on your part! Gives a new twist to the old adage of tin cans and bailing wire! Add some aluminum foil for a gasket and you would have been good to go for another 20years!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #10

Dude,

Spartan is installing the new design with the flex pipe.

Since Spartan is taking good care of me, I decided to have they perform any recommended service while I'm here....Ouch!

Oh well, it needs to be done eventually, and it's only money.

Sebastian
Old 05-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #11

I am on the second turbo tube. The cause appears to be the support bracket. When it is bolted into place it cause a prestress on the tube at the turbo. Removing the bracket and longating the holes to an oval shape allows the bracket to sit and not stress the tube. This was just replaced this past week and I expect it to be good now.

Peter
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #12

K2 Turbo EXhaust Pipe

Hi All,

Checked my 07 Essex K2 today with less than
9k miles the exhaust pipe has cracked next to the turbo.

I used a radiator clamp and tin foil as a temp
patch.

This leads me to believe that all K2s of this era
will end up with this problem.

On my way now to Nappanee then will sked
time with Spartan.

Bruce
07 Essex 4502
Old 05-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #13

Eastern - Nappanee should be able to do the exhaust change.... Or the Ft. Wayne Cummins can defintly do it and unlike most Cummins shops, they see many mohos and have 2 service techs devoted to them... Randy at Newmar is buds with Smitty at Cummins...
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #14

I wondered why i had more engine noise coming from the bedroom area,now i know why.I was at spartan last friday and sure enough the turbo pipe was cracked all the way through so they replaced it with the new flex type.I was there for all fluid and filters and had them do the 44 point inspection.Awesome job done there as it's my first time at spartan.Job well done.