Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I couldn't imagine the exhaust blowing on radiator could increase the water temperature that high, for what I know about DP's, but they have seemed to have proven it does.
Good luck with the fix and free sailing after.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
I spoke a little early suggesting closure, not quite.

This story or saga would really be funny if it happened to one of my buddies, but not too funny when it's all about me.

First it did overheat in the summer and the odd part was how quickly it cooled or heated directly proportional to the throttle.
I called Spartan on three different occasions and got three different answers:
1) First call the Spartan rep recommended I change all 3 hydraulic filters, and I had given him the VIN. Hydraulics have nothing to do with cooling on my coach.
2) Next call suggested cleaning the radiator and having it rodded. and servicing the right angle fan drive.
3) Last call suggested disconnecting the wires that come off the rear of the ac compressor to engage the fan to see if it works, he also suggested buying 2 relays that control the fan to try and they are cheap enough to have for future. He also advised to check the fuse F4, 10a which controls the fan.

The last call was the most helpful, but disconnecting the power leads that energize the electromagnet of course will not engage the fan.

I decided I had to take it to Cummins Atlantic to get it repaired; They ran it on the Dyno and found the exhaust pipe leaving the turbo with the entire flange broken off due to work hardening due to no flex in the pipe. They surmised that the leaking exhaust was blowing on the radiator causing the overheating. $2390 later that also found an egr fault that was cleared for only $300 more. While they were in there they also replaced the thermostats for insurance and my coach is a rear bath model.

Afterwards they took it out for a road test up Christiansburg Mountain and it overheated just like before.

I suggested they prove the fan works and it did not. I was watching while the tech was checking the fuses and told him the fan fuse is hidden between 2 relays and not visible and it checked ok, but since he didn't know about the f4 fuse and didn't know which fuse controlled the fan, he checked them all and found f10, a 5a fuse bad, replaced it and it engaged the fan, it actually takes both the f4 & f10, but the irony is f10 is marked spare.

Ain't motor-homes real fun!
JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would think they would give some discount seeing it turned out to be a fuse they missed but eventually the others items would have to be addressed.
Nothing against DP's but they do have some big problems at times that's why I could only deal with a gas coach in my budget.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating