Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #1

Issue with EMS and Magnum AGS and BMK incompatibility?

I read a couple weeks back about a compatibility issue where the Electric Monitoring Ststem (EMS) and the Auto Generator Start (AGS) and the Magnum battery monitor (BMK). Could you please elaborate on the upgrade needed to get this incompatibility fixed? I am at the Newmar facility and having difficulty finding anyone who knows anything about this issue. I installed a BMK on my 2014 Ventana and would like to know if I have the issue. I rarely use the genny. I suspect I need to run my batteries down and see if I can get the genny to auto start. I installed a lot of solar in the coach but haven't been unplugged much. I was just trying to get all the info while I am here at Newmar. I am now unable to find the thread. I found a old thread from Titled 'All Electric' something but this contains no details. The thread I am looking for said something about it being fixed on 2015 coaches. If anyone else can point me to this thread, THANKS.

TED (with a senior moment)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

I don't think there is anything in print on the subject.

redbaron73 paved the way on adding the BMK. I added it and had the same problem.

When the auto gen start kicks in, it will start the genny then shut it off a few minutes. Then restart the genny, over and over till you manually stop everything.

The only way to know if yours is going to do it is to program the auto gen start and wait.

Precision Circuits Inc had to re-flash the EMS system. Now ours works like the 2014 system.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

I would give Magnum a call, they have great service.

When I installed a BMK on my coach I have to have a software updtae on the controller. They did because I purchased the BMK. Real easy to do, you just send it to them and it might take them about a minute to update it then they send it back.

4 screws, 1 one communication wire to unplugged and postage!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #4

THANKS JDR John, Your post on this subject was the one I was looking for. So you contacted Power Control Systems and they re-flashed your unit? I haven't had any luck with Newmar getting any information on this. I expect PCS will do this cheaper than Newmar any way. I will need to experiment some once I get home and then call PSC and see if they act like they are familiar with this issue. Newmar probably would just pass it on to PCS to do anyway. I had thought I would get this done this week while in Nappanee/Elkhart area but since PCS is in Illinois I will wait and do it via mail. THANKS AGAIN TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I don't think there is anything in print on the subject.

redbaron73 paved the way on adding the BMK. I added it and had the same problem.

When the auto gen start kicks in, it will start the genny then shut it off a few minutes. Then restart the genny, over and over till you manually stop everything.

The only way to know if yours is going to do it is to program the auto gen start and wait.

Precision Circuits Inc had to re-flash the EMS system. Now ours works like the 2014 system.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

They will do it by mail, mine got messed up and we ended up being close to PCI. So we just stopped in and bought the replacements. After I swapped the new ones in, we shipped the old ones back and they tore up our check. It only costs us shipping and time.

Everything works great. Plus we now have the option of 15 amp, 20 amp, 30 amp and 50 amp power input selection.

As well as auto gen start/stop by time. So I can set the genny to start at 6 am when we boondock.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The additional features of the BMK and advanced auto start require that you replace the ME-RC with the ME-ARC. This is the easiest upgrade, 4 screws and a telephone cable.

I would recommend this upgrade even for those without the BMK.

Since your coach is a 2014, I doubt you will require the pcs upgrade, but a quick check of the revisions will tell you. Check the revision of both the controller and the remote, and post your findings.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The additional features of the BMK and advanced auto start require that you replace the ME-RC with the ME-ARC. This is the easiest upgrade, 4 screws and a telephone cable.

I would recommend this upgrade even for those without the BMK.

Since your coach is a 2014, I doubt you will require the pcs upgrade, but a quick check of the revisions will tell you. Check the revision of both the controller and the remote, and post your findings.
RedBaron73, I looked and found the PCS versions. The Monitor is 4.11 and the Control is 4.21

Question 1 - Where is the PCS control located? I Read both the owners manual and the install manuals from the PCS website and do not see where it is? I pulled the cover off the breaker box and not in there.
Question 2 - I pulled the ME-RC or ARC to determine which I have. There are NO identifications on it to say which I have. The Magnum manuals do not help as it appears they both look alike? If it helps the Remote version is 2.7 and also, I did look at the Shore Max settings available and find 5A, 10A, 15A, 20A, 30A, 40A, and 50A, 60A. Does this indicate that I have a ME-ARC verses a ME-RC?

So it looks like MAYBE I have a ME-ARC or Not? Do I need a upgrade to the PCS controller?

THANKS AGAIN, TED
Old 05-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #8

The ME-ARC looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0985.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	62748

Take note of the buttons, they're the key difference.

This is the part in the breaker box (on circled in red)

Name:	DSCF0964.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	62749

Even where the big red and black wires go through the holes. You will have to remove each wire attached to the part on the left, plus the main red and black wires.

This is the control panel that redbaron73 and I had to replace. The important information is the vers #s. The bottom read out is the programing for the coach.

Name:	DSCF0986.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	62753

The amp screen you describing is for the charger. I'm talking about this screen

Name:	DSCF0987.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	62754
Old 05-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PdrJohn has a newer version than I do. I will check my version when I get home tomorrow. I think you have the older version though. A simple test is to use the auto start and see how it works.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2014 Dutchstar and just installed the BMK and upgraded to Magnum ME-ARC. I'm having the same issue. Generator starts, then stops continually until I go to manual. My PCS versions are Monitor 4.11, Control 4.21. Is this my issue? Do I need the 5.15 and 5.19 versions to make this work. Or am I having other issues?

Just for completeness my ME-ARC are showing these revisions:

Inverter 5.9
Remote 3.010
AGS 5.3
BMK 1.0

Thanks

DDMO
Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The additional features of the BMK and advanced auto start require that you replace the ME-RC with the ME-ARC. This is the easiest upgrade, 4 screws and a telephone cable. ...
UM...I just installed the ME-BMK and should have the ME-AGS-N installed by tomorrow. From everything I have read, the ME-RC will work fine with them both but you don't get some of the advanced features.

Now...I'm gonna hedge on that just a tad because my current ME-RC is version 2.6. So far with the ME-BMK is seems to be working just fine. ME-RC version 2.8 or higher appears to have a tad more interfacing capabilities.

If we must, we will then upgrade to the ME-ARC but our limited boon docking needs don't seem to require some of those features. Well, that is until someone shows me a feature I MUST HAVE! LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any add on' Newmar would not get involved because they did not install it that's why they didn't get involved.
Maybe after reading this thread maybe they will for future coach's.
Will be adding this thread to QT's # 3, carry on.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need the upgrade to the software. You have the old version, which exhibits the problem you describe. In addition they will provide you with a minor wiring change that will be done at the time you replace the panel.