Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 AM   #1

Issue with HWH leveling jacks

Hi everyone,

I'm currently stuck at a campsite because my jacks won't retract.

After parking, I went to level the coach as normal. I got an 'overslope' error on the control panel but I assumed this just meant that I wasn't going to be perfectly level - fine with me, I shut the system down and extended my slide as normal. That was two days ago.

Yesterday morning I noticed that the rear driver's side jack wasn't extended at all. I had a bit of a panic, worrying that I'd screwed up my slideout or twisted my frame. I brought the slide in and tried to retract the jacks so I could re-level but now the jacks won't retract at all. Pressing the 'HYD' button on the control panel has no effect. In fact, the only thing that will bring any life to the control panel is pressing the 'dump' button - this lights everything up, but only for as long as I hold the button down.

Has anyone run into this problem before? I found some troubleshooting steps online, but I can not find my HWH control box. Does anyone know where it might be on a 2001 Mountain Aire DP?

Thanks in advance!

Josh
KarnaughAtla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mines up front

I have a Dutch Star and its up front behind passenger head light. There are 4 "T"handles on my hydraulic unit you can open and manually bleed the fluid out of the jacks. My issue was the motor brush plate got corrosion between it and the outer housing and wasn't making contact. It ate my lunch for a while. One of the guy's on this forum wrote he had the same problem I was having. Sure enough it was the same issue with me. All I did was drill a hole in the plate and outer housing and screwed a sheet metal screw thru and the problem was solved. Hope this helps.
Mike

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
On my brother's Winnebago it is right under the dash on left side mounted to front wall. He has a driver's door so was easy to access when we were troubleshooting his for no operation of right rear jack, had blown fuse for that jack.
Slides operate so motor corrosion is not the problem here although that does seem to be a fairly common problem.
DENSHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #4

'04 dutch star

I have an '04 Dutch Star.

I assume you have the 610 HWH system? I also assume you have a front slide for the generator? Pull the front slide out and look at the passenger side for the HWH control box, pump, solenoid valves etc. The control box has a glass cover which contains various fuses. Check these fuses.

Do a search for the HWH 610 leveling system. The entire maint manual is online.

P.S.- Don't worry about extending your slides without the jacks down. I do it all the time. Newmar makes these older mh's much stronger than is really required.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Welcome to iRV2.

Adding your coach's year and HWH series number to your post will help get you better advice.

Next question is do you have the system manual , with the manual retraction advice?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

If the control panel isn't lit up with the ignition key in the on, or accessory position then you'll have to check every fuse you can find in the chassis fuse box.
The two problems I've had with the HWH, system were; the main 40 amp system fuse , located near the motor in an in-line holder burnt out due to corrosion and caused the whole system to shut down . Picture below.
Another member reported this same failure.
The second was the brush ground plate in the motor causing the jacks not to extend ; not the problem you have .
If you need a manual for your system , here's the web site.

Welcome to HWH Corporation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277 (640x360).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	136752  
Old 08-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for link
Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #8

Thanks everyone - appreciate the input. I'm at work right now but as soon as I get back to the campground I'll start with the fuse box. I'll post here with the resolution if/when I find it.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #9

My HWH did something weird last year as well. Suddenly nothing worked, then I got this crazy lightshow from the control panel. Turned out the connector on the backside of the control panel was not seating. Un-plug and plugged it back in and like magic all was well. Turned out others had the same issue. Hope in your case it is that easy.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #10

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was able to manually retract the jacks, unfortunately I still have not had time to dig into this issue. I'm in the middle of moving out of my apartment and into the MH so things have been a bit crazy for me! At least I'm mobile now, and hopefully tonight I will get some time to start peering into fuse boxes.

Thanks again,

Josh

Tags
hwh, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks