Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #71

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I was in Cali in June and had the privilege of buying some diesel for $ 4.29 a gallon. Must of been the best diesel around. It doubled my fuel mileage and tripled the torque
And the high fuel cost gave you much nicer roads to cruise on, not!
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #72
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I hope Washington state doesn't read this forum! Basic annual registration is $60 plus a few bucks in administrative fees. Mine costs a bit more as I have a personalized license plate on the coach.

That said, the initial registration took a huge bite with an in-lieu "use tax" (same rate as the sales tax and varies a bit by county); about $25K. Good thing they give you an offset for the trade-in value!

Since we own property in Montana, we considered licensing it there. No sales/use tax, BUT Montana has now slapped an $800 annual surcharge on the licensing of motorhomes with a MSRP over $300K. That's in addition to the $282.50 annual registration fee. The annual registration fee declines with the age of the coach but, as far as I can see, the $800 surcharge does not.

Washington will not recognize any out-of-state registration for more than 30 days and the fines are stiff for not registering within that time frame. I even inquired about how long a visitor could remain in the state without re-registering. The answer was the same; 30 days. Not sure how they would enforce that, however.

Bottom line is that most states view us motorhome owners as a "cash cow," to be milked vigorously...one way or another.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
For 2 year renewal in Alaska with Veteran plates it's $170.00. $100 for the registration and $70.00 for local taxes. Might be few bucks cheaper without the Veteran plates but I like the look of the Veteran plates.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
In CT it is taxed at close to 8% when registered. Then each year it is taxed like a house. So a $300k motorhome would cost $22k plus to register and in a mid tax town you would pay another $5,000 to $7,000 each year in property tax. Registration each year would only be a few hundred dollars.

Yikes..and here I thought va’s 3.6% PP tax was bad
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #75

2018 Ventana. Plates were almost $6000 here in Colorado. As much as our house. Will be nearly as much the next 3 years. Ugh...
janniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
You know what they say, a picture is worth $2165 [emoji51]
Second year 2018 DS 4369
I didn’t write this to complain, wanted the more fortunate to feel lucky[emoji4]
Tell us what you pay per year to the DMV/State
illinois..the very definition of corruption...annual license plate is ~$100.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was born and raised in Ca, lived there for over 45 years until going to a much more favorable state...NY��, 18 years ago. I saw the roads deteriorate and fees go up before leaving. I bought a previously owned MH in GA while I lived in NY, registering in NY was most painful experience , especially the boat which was a package deal. Boat had to be removed from trailer so I could get the weight of trailer as that is what they base the registration on. When I bought my current 2017 DS I still lived in NY but had address in FL, thought I would register in NY as I didn’t want to get caught doing the “wrong thing”, 3 different trips to DMV with no success in sight I said enough. I registered in FL, paid their sales tax saving 2.25% and obtained FL drivers license eliminating the CDL class B I was facing in NY. Just renewed my tags for 2 years for under $100. Glad to be a FL resident.

PS My 92 year old father still lives in CA and he tells me all the time the high taxes/fees are the privilege of living in paradise.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #78

This SoCal native left years ago. I don't even recognize the state of my birth anymore. And to be honest, I don't miss it at all.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
We are looking at TN as a possible state to move to. What is the sales tax rate there. How are your property taxes? We currently live in Texas but love to visit TN and never felt the sales taxes were to high.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #80

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The fact is, cal has been a single party state for many, many years now and they are slowly managing the state into BK. There is no financial reason for a retired person to live in cal and many are leaving. Taxes and fees are constantly going up with no end in sight. My 5 year old TT is $220 a year and my 5 year old pickup is over $600. With sales tax at 9%+ and high reg I wonder how anyone buys a DP MH in this state. (Montana LLC).
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #81

Well, the good news is now we get our own satellite! Maybe they can match the paint with the bullet train, to show the other states how its done!

I would have already moved but i'm too close to retirement, so im trapped for a few more years!
YesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
You know what they say, a picture is worth $2165 [emoji51]
Second year 2018 DS 4369
I didn’t write this to complain, wanted the more fortunate to feel lucky[emoji4]
Tell us what you pay per year to the DMV/State
The Golden State! Ouch

- - - -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I hope Washington state doesn't read this forum! Basic annual registration is $60 plus a few bucks in administrative fees. Mine costs a bit more as I have a personalized license plate on the coach.

That said, the initial registration took a huge bite with an in-lieu "use tax" (same rate as the sales tax and varies a bit by county); about $25K. Good thing they give you an offset for the trade-in value!

Since we own property in Montana, we considered licensing it there. No sales/use tax, BUT Montana has now slapped an $800 annual surcharge on the licensing of motorhomes with a MSRP over $300K. That's in addition to the $282.50 annual registration fee. The annual registration fee declines with the age of the coach but, as far as I can see, the $800 surcharge does not.

Washington will not recognize any out-of-state registration for more than 30 days and the fines are stiff for not registering within that time frame. I even inquired about how long a visitor could remain in the state without re-registering. The answer was the same; 30 days. Not sure how they would enforce that, however.

Bottom line is that most states view us motorhome owners as a "cash cow," to be milked vigorously...one way or another.

TJ
I think flathead county avoids this additional fee doesn't it? We have a home in Coram, and I considered registering my new MH there. The final reason I didn't was the insurance. I spend more time in Texas, and then only options I had was to either claim full time, or register it in Texas. So I am paying 6.25% sales tax one time, then less than $400 /yr afterwards.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #84

AZ is also expensive. IL was a flat fee of something like $100 for any vehicle including any motorhome.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california