RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I have the old style slide locks that require a bar to help lock the lock. It fits over the metal arm, and helps to either straighten it or unlock it by unstraightening it. I called Newmar who told me that I needed to go through a dealer and when I called the dealer, he had no idea what I was talking about. So I called two more dealers, and they were ignorant of it also. Where can I get one of these bars to lock and unlock my slides. It should not be this difficult! Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

I'm not sure where you could buy one, but I can remember what ours looked like and it wasn't much of a big deal. You could probably have someone make you one for less trouble it will take to try and buy one. If you're not sure what it looks like, I'm sure someone on the form could measure their's up and send you a drawing. I'd do it, but I don't have one anymore.

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
I called Newmar who told me that I needed to go through a dealer
Also, that doesn't make sense. There's another discussion just down from this one and people are saying you can order parts directly from Newmar. So what's with that?

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the same bar and I wouldn't bother trying to order one I'd take to a welding shop and have them make the lock part of arm. It maybe cheaper.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gene & Betty,

I have the same bar.

Tomorrow I will take pictures and post them along with the dimensions. You can then Email them to a dealer or have one made------
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Per my latest response from Jeanne Stump, Newmar Parts department 1-800-731-8300, ext #3834 you can order parts direct and I quote, "Newmar pays UPS ground charges on orders that are $25.00. Sales tax of 7%."
That is from an email dated 1/28/09.
You may want to call again
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Wow, I finally got to speak to Jeannie, and got my answer. When I called the first two times, the young lady answering the phone told me that I would need to order the parts through a dealer, and that they could not sell directly to coach owners. I asked to speak to a person in parts and left a voicemail for Jeannie.

She did call me back, and was extremely pleasant, while trying to be as helpful as possible. She explained that things are really slow, staff has been cut, and that the decision to sell direct to the public was made about Christmas time in an effort to keep the doors open. They have had tremendous response and are trying to get the word out that we can go to them for parts, and not the dealer.

They do need to change the recording that says we cannot, but I am sure they will get to that.
Having talked with Jeannie I will continue to support Newmar and pray that this economy turns around,as she and others like her are needed in this RV industry, where nice people are at a premium.

Yes, I am getting my lock bar tool, and all is right with the world on this end. Just makes me glad that I own a Newmar!
Now, if we can get some warm weather, everyone might feel better and get this economy moving again. Thank you to all who answered my posts, your all good people and I appreciate you.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
This site is the very best. This thread was started around 2PM. Around 8 PM the OP posts the problem is solved. And solve with the info provided here. That's only about 6 total hours! Most likely less in actual time.

Not that all problems are solve this quickly, but one has to adminre the members of iRV2.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #9

When I owned a MADP, I had the same bar. I bent it several times. I replaced it with a 1 lb rubber faced mallet from Lowe's. Worked like a dream, one tap, and it kept the kids in line too.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #10

Newmar put two of them in my coach and I have never used either except to see how it worked. Threw one away or I could have sent it to you.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Similar to Bikeboy57, I just bump the locks in and out of lock with my hand. But the rubber mallet idea is a good one that I may adopt- althought I'm not sure that I would want the wife to get her hands on the mallet...
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #12

Jeannie is the greatest! She is Newmar in my books.
Tom
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #13

Contact Sky Harbor RV in Russell, Illinois. They ordered one for me-about $30.

dbradley is offline   Reply With Quote