RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Item covered in DS Navigational system

I'm trying without any luck to get the Trip Tek computer system on a new DS order form as Newmar doesn't use it anymore nor wire for it.

My only other choice is the Touch Screen Navigation System as an option on the DS. Can anyone with this system give me a list of the information displayed and if it can even be read or changed while driving? Or would this information be available anyplace on the Internet?

The Trip Tek displays engine/tranny temps, turbo pressure, oil pressure, tranny gear in and gear being asked for, MPG and MPH & gallons used for day- leg- trip, time/miles travelled and if set also miles/time to go to destination . The change pad is easily reached by the driver and the screen is very clear large and easily read while driving with just a glance.

Not sure if the Navigation system is a good replacement but may have no choice.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You go to COM_NET----SELECT= TECH INFORMATION---SELECT= CHASSIS---SELECT Miscellaneous Motorize, you have all the tabs for triptek.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wagonmaster2, have you considered using the Silverleaf VMSpc system? It provides all that information you have listed, I had it in my Ventana and it worked very well. I'll install it in my Dutch Star as well.

Here's the screen layout I used for my Ventana, I used a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet for the display. The ?? will display the transmission readouts when the system is reading the engine data. The display is user configurable so you can set it up to your preferences. The tire pressure data comes from the integrated PressurePro TPMS, I like this setup because it doesn't require an additional display on your dash to view your tire pressures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc Display - Cummins ISB 340 - Ventana LE.png
Views:	73
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	79600  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm trying without any luck to get the Trip Tek computer system on a new DS order form as Newmar doesn't use it anymore nor wire for it.

My only other choice is the Touch Screen Navigation System as an option on the DS. Can anyone with this system give me a list of the information displayed and if it can even be read or changed while driving? Or would this information be available anyplace on the Internet?

The Trip Tek displays engine/tranny temps, turbo pressure, oil pressure, tranny gear in and gear being asked for, MPG and MPH & gallons used for day- leg- trip, time/miles travelled and if set also miles/time to go to destination . The change pad is easily reached by the driver and the screen is very clear large and easily read while driving with just a glance.

Not sure if the Navigation system is a good replacement but may have no choice.
Wagonmaster i can't remember if you did not want to use a vmspec (silverleaf) monitoring system or not. If you are committed to a Trip-tek you may want to cam the vendor. I have worked with him in the past and he is a very nice person to work with
Steve
spinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Wagonmaster2, have you considered using the Silverleaf VMSpc system? It provides all that information you have listed, I had it in my Ventana and it worked very well. I'll install it in my Dutch Star as well.

Here's the screen layout I used for my Ventana, I used a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet for the display. The ?? will display the transmission readouts when the system is reading the engine data. The display is user configurable so you can set it up to your preferences. The tire pressure data comes from the integrated PressurePro TPMS, I like this setup because it doesn't require an additional display on your dash to view your tire pressures.
Hi Scott. I've seen lots of references to the Silverleaf but have never seen a readout like you've shown. Is this system a complicated product to install, does it take pre-wiring, or does it have to be installed by a dealer?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"wagonmaster2".....I also use the VMSpc on a laptop. You can actually download the program from SilverLeaf for free and design the gauges in any configuration you want. There are literally 100's of way to set it up. They make their money buy selling you a proprietary cable that connects to your OBD port under your dash and to your computer via a USB connection ($300.00).

Here is mine mounted in my Dutch Star. I had the same set up running in my Diplomat for over five years. I think the VMSpc program may offer more items to monitor. The VMSpc program looks at everything the Cummins computer looks at and reads right off the Cummins computer. The only thing it won't show is exhaust temps because Cummins doesn't look at exhaust temps.

You can do your own install, if you make a bracket for a laptop or tablet. Connecting the cable tales only a few minutes.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #7

Does all this take a lot of computer savy? I'm about as computer illiterate as they come. I can surf, do e-mails, and shop on the internet but when it comes to downloading programs everything has to go precisely as the instructions indicate, which many times instructions need some extra doings, or I'm sunk. I don't know about folders/files or cut & paste. I'm good at following instructions but the instructions definitely have to fit my computer.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Does all this take a lot of computer savy? I'm about as computer illiterate as they come. I can surf, do e-mails, and shop on the internet but when it comes to downloading programs everything has to go precisely as the instructions indicate, which many times instructions need some extra doings, or I'm sunk. I don't know about folders/files or cut & paste. I'm good at following instructions but the instructions definitely have to fit my computer.
It is pretty easy to set up and use Wagonmaster and requires no ongoing maintenance.
spinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #9

I use Silverleaf as well, but I have it on my Ipad.

Name:	DSCF0961.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	79636

It's just plug and play. Into the diagnostics port right here (the black cap).

Name:	IMG_6796.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	79637

Do not unplug the white plug.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Here is my VmsPc setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vmspc-pic.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	79696   Click image for larger version

Name:	VmsPc-3JPG.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	79697  

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #11

That sounds and looks pretty good. What kind of bracket have any of you made to hold it in front of you, and can you watch it while driving? Being smaller, does a notepad work better than a laptop and are you sort of just balancing it between the dash and windshield?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's how I had it installed in my Ventana, will do the same in my Dutch Star soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0140.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	79911   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0152.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	79912  

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Here is my VmsPc setup.
In my example, the dash is wide from the steering wheel to the windshield and slopes down from the gages to the windshield so I have plenty of room to set the " 10" netbook" on the dash up against the windsheild without it obstructing my view, yet in such a position that I can see it without taking my eyes off the road.

It also works a an "lane aiming" device; if I keep the width of the screen between the highway lines, I'm centered in my lane. It really helps when driving between those cement barriers that are only wide enough for one vehicle that they use in construction zones...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #14

Mine is in a Ram suction cup mount attached to the top of the instrument pod. I can view it just the same as my GPS.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote