Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #1

Hi! Well we hit the warm weather The reefer shot up to 58 degrees fridge side, 14 degrees freezer side. Its a Dometic side by side all Electric. I call Newmar on Sat. night. Carl calls me back and tells me they will get a tech to my coach on Mon. to work on all my problems (see other posts). We had to throw out a lot of food. I am thinking, here I am advising people their fans are probably not working on their reefers when they are not staying cool, so I probably have the same problem. Well the tech looks at the reefer,(which of course is at the right temp because it is now in the shade, and cooler out) and tells me there are no fans mounted behind it. Tom from Newmar is on a 3 way with the tech and Dometic. After a half hour of try this and that I told the tech to ask Dometic if this reefer should be side or top cooled. They said it should have a roof mounted vent. Of course it can't because of the sat and surround system mounted in the cabinet above the reefer. Soooooooo guess what, it should have fans. Tom (Newmar) suggested to the tech to buy a portable fan and leave it in the compartment and see if it helps. I could not believe he even wanted to do that on my coach. I called Carl, you should here the BS story Carl gave me as to why it dosen't have fans. I told him they came on the Essex. He told me not to compare coaches (product seperation?) I don't see what one coach has to do with another when it comes to making the reefer cool down. Will someone please let Carl know our MA list for over $475000. After he gave me the story I put the tech on the phone and he told him they would overnight him fans etc for Wed. delivery. Time will tell on this one. Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #2

Hi! Well we hit the warm weather The reefer shot up to 58 degrees fridge side, 14 degrees freezer side. Its a Dometic side by side all Electric. I call Newmar on Sat. night. Carl calls me back and tells me they will get a tech to my coach on Mon. to work on all my problems (see other posts). We had to throw out a lot of food. I am thinking, here I am advising people their fans are probably not working on their reefers when they are not staying cool, so I probably have the same problem. Well the tech looks at the reefer,(which of course is at the right temp because it is now in the shade, and cooler out) and tells me there are no fans mounted behind it. Tom from Newmar is on a 3 way with the tech and Dometic. After a half hour of try this and that I told the tech to ask Dometic if this reefer should be side or top cooled. They said it should have a roof mounted vent. Of course it can't because of the sat and surround system mounted in the cabinet above the reefer. Soooooooo guess what, it should have fans. Tom (Newmar) suggested to the tech to buy a portable fan and leave it in the compartment and see if it helps. I could not believe he even wanted to do that on my coach. I called Carl, you should here the BS story Carl gave me as to why it dosen't have fans. I told him they came on the Essex. He told me not to compare coaches (product seperation?) I don't see what one coach has to do with another when it comes to making the reefer cool down. Will someone please let Carl know our MA list for over $475000. After he gave me the story I put the tech on the phone and he told him they would overnight him fans etc for Wed. delivery. Time will tell on this one. Paul
Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, I do believe that putting a small portable fan inside the lower opening and blowing up the chase was exactly how we confirmed the fans were the issue in my coach...That's a common practice...
I also thought that if you had an all electric coach,your stereo was in fact NOT over your refrigerator....MADP's may use a different refrigerator than the Essex in the "all electric" configuration though...
Carl has ALWAYS been a gentleman to me and everyone else I've ever seen or heard of him speaking to, the fact that you've had a misunderstanding with him concerns me...
As far as your refrigerator vent configuration you should see a lower AND an upper side vent directly behind the refrigerator on the outside of the coach....I would highly recommend you make a trip to a hardware store or find a small fan somewhere and try the test...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is your all electric a house whole refer with a compressor like in your home??
His refer is not in a slide.
Try any type fan in bottom vent if you want to use till Wed. You should have a roof vent.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Paul, I do believe that putting a small portable fan inside the lower opening and blowing up the chase was exactly how we confirmed the fans were the issue in my coach...That's a common practice... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bob! There are no fans mounted at all anywhere. I believe that is the problem. Dometic said it should have a roof vent. It was not designed for side vent, even know Newmar continues to put the reefers in (I am not the first) They should have put in the fans, but they did not, "it's not an Essex". Paul
Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is your all electric a house whole refer with a compressor like in your home?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! It is a Dometic all electric. (no propane parts) If you would like the model number I will let you know tomorrow. It is not in a slide. The reefer is fine right now, as it has been since Sept., because it is in the shade and not as hot as the other day. We never had real hot weather in NJ. Thanks for the help. Paul
Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">also thought that if you had an all electric coach,your stereo was in fact NOT over your refrigerator....MADP's may use a different refrigerator than the Essex in the "all electric" configuration though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! They have no where to move the electronics. The 4528 MADP is identical to the 4508 Essex except, they lost about 8" somewhere. They took it out of the cabinet under the center tv. that is where the Essex moves its electronics when you get the res reefer. There is no room,, in depth, in our cabinet to put the electronics. That is why we could not get the res reefer. The reefer choices they gave us were the same as the ones on the Essex sheet (without the fans ) Paul
Old 01-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Carl has ALWAYS been a gentleman to me and everyone else I've ever seen or heard of him speaking to, the fact that you've had a misunderstanding with him concerns me... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! He was and is a perfect gentleman. No misunderstanding at all. I heard him quite clearly. Paul
Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetsmania:
They should have put in the fans, but they did not, "it's not an Essex". Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,I know you're upset...believe me when I tell you I KNOW how you're feeling, but the 2007 MADP is indeed serviced at Newmar's HIGH LINE service facility as I'm sure you know...

It'd be interesting to know the context that the comment from Carl was made in,as again I've NEVER known the guy to say or do anything out of line...
I'd also like to hear from someone out on the tech floor at Carl's place and hear their "take" on the MADP all electric fridge issue...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its electric only it should vent out bottom of refer grill as in your home
Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd also like to hear from someone out on the tech floor at Carl's place and hear their "take" on the MADP all electric fridge issue... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! So would I. Our reefer was a special which cost more than the all electric choices they give on the price sheet. We wanted the one that self defrosts. Would you like to hear the story about how they approved a res reefer for our coach? They had it as an approved special for our coach. Lucky for us I asked where are you going to put the electronics? They said in the washer dryer cabinet. I said they would not fit with the W/D. They said exactly. We deleted your W/D from your coach. It was a good thing this conversation took place while we sat in our Newmar reps office at the factory. He blew his top on the phone with engineering. Needless to say no res reefers in the 4528. I have many more great stories. Paul
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If its electric only it should vent out bottom of refer grill as in your home </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Great point. I think it is built the same as the propane, but missing the propane parts. paul
Old 01-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Then you should have a vent on roof and cooling fans like Bob and I have.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then you should have a vent on roof and cooling fans like Bob and I have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! I don't know if Bob has a roof vent. I think he has the upper and lower side vents like I do. Paul