Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #1

Hi! At Bob's request I am starting this thread to discuss problems and solutions we have come across in the last 2 month's with our new coach. I have not had time to now to post all of it so I will slowly post everything that has happened.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #2

Hi! At Bob's request I am starting this thread to discuss problems and solutions we have come across in the last 2 month's with our new coach. I have not had time to now to post all of it so I will slowly post everything that has happened.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #3

Hi! Our current problem is we are driving on 95 North and our engine temp is running high enough to set off the alarms. The outside temp was around 85. We were doing aprox. 80 MPH for about a hour when it happened. I pulled off the road thinking we have joined the not so famous Belt Group. By the time we stopped the temp decreased and all was fine. The belts still look new (3800 miles) and cooling level is fine. This is the first time we have run this coach this hard at warm outside temps. The coach was fine after that as long as we did not push it for long periods of time beyond 78 MPH (alarm went off one more time when we did). Running after outside temps went down in the 70's we had no problem pushing it. We called Newmar, and Carl and Chris (Spartan) had no real answer other then to make sure the fan is kicking to high speed above 208 degrees. I called them back when I remembered someone else on this forum having a blown fuse on the fan. They told me where to find it and I will check it in the AM. Any other thoughts?? Thanks for all the help in the past. Paul
Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like another Bob G. incident.
When he stopped second time I checked his fan saw fan blade laying on deck reached in to move fan and fan fell of DRIVE shaft. Think it turned out to be wrong size nut #5 instead of #8 nut fell off shaft that holds fan, when engine heats up make sure fan is turning and not slipping on shaft. Gears are used to drive fan off drive belts.
Slow down and you might make it to a Cummings service center.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to play the devils advocate here and I'm not trying to crank you up, but why so fast?

How many rpm's are you turning at 80 mph?

By the way, you have the floorplan that my wife likes. We had the rear bath in our 3740 gasser and liked it.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #6

Str8shooter, I think I can answer the RPM question, the ISM engine would be turning about 1800 RPM or so at 80 MPH.

I notice also that there is a definite increase in engine temperature when speeds of 75 MPH or more are maintained, but I have not run is warm weather yet, but will be by Monday.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #7

We are the ones that had the fuse replaced at the Rally and we did so because it overheated going through the hills of NH with the temperatures going up to 220 going up the hill and 170 going down the hills. Above 215 the check engine light came on. There was a fuse that was blown when Spartan checked it, that prevented the high speed fan from kicking in.

After the Rally going to Albany, NY, I noticed that when the engine lugged going up the hills the tmeperature would increase then drop very rapidly, which I think is an indication that high speed fan setting is now working. Outside temps were moderate and hills weren't large.

Yesterday we made a 500 mile run from NH to Penn. Sof the hills were similar to NH, with the engine flat out for 2-3 minutes, but temps outside were pretty cool. Engine temps were always cool.

I still wonder wbout the cooling on long hill climbs with hot temperatures. My guess is there will be a problem even with the high speed fan. Cummins had said it won't cool without the shroud under the fan assembly. Spartan and Newmar say it was tested. Spartan was going to check into it and get back to me. I've heard nothing. Cummins says it's needed to prevent the fan from sucking hot air from the engine back through the fan.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Cummins had said it won't cool without the shroud under the fan assembly. Spartan and Newmar say it was tested. Spartan was going to check into it and get back to me. I've heard nothing. Cummins says it's needed to prevent the fan from sucking hot air from the engine back through the fan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is the Cummins that your quoting here. The factory, distributor or a dealer ?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm not trying to crank you up, but why so fast? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Everyone! It takes a lot to crank me up We hang aroun 75 -80 in the Carolina's when all the truckers are passing us. (We do not tow). Peter is correct we are turning about 1800 RPM. Belts, fan, and everything else looks great. ROAD PILOT Thankyou for the earlier post about the fuse. The 10 Amp fuse that powers the fan was blown. If you had not written about it I would never known about it. Newmar never metioned it till I called them back. This forum is great! I will keep everyone posted if the fuse stays good. See My next post about BLOWN FUSES. Paul
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 AM   #10

Hi! Last weekend I realized that our rear blinkers, stop lights, lights, and 4 way flashers were not working. The center brake light worked as did the side flashers, mirror flashers, and front flashers. We called Newmar and were told to find our Spartan Fuse Panel. In our case it is in the 2nd compartment in front of the rear wheels on the passenger side. It is mounted on the side rail next to the slide out controls. There were 2 blown 7.5 amp fuses. Problem seems to be solved for now. This is the same panel that has the fuse for fan clutch. I would advise all us to check your rear lights. For all I know this might have slipped thru PDI and I have been driving like this for awhile. You would think they would be on the same circuit as the mirrors, but they are not (false sense of security). Whats is going on that I have now had to change 3 different fuses from the same panel? Maybe they shorted at the factory? Paul
Old 11-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #11

Something else you should check. The '07 Essex and probably the Mountain Aire do not activate the stop lights when the Jake is engaged. This is not law to have that happen but I feel probably safer if it does.
The specification was not ordered by Spartan, perhaps in error. To have it added is only an ECM flash by Cummins. It is not free as it was not originally specified. Spartan can arrange it and pay for it. I had mine done in Napanee. Spartan called in Cummins and they re-flashed the ECM to work.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before this thread gets to large I'am going to link it to the Spartan Chassis Forum. People with this chassis may not visit the Newmar forum. Anyother problem with Newmar coach post here.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, when I left Atlanta the other day the "courtesy light" fuse had blown which meant there weren't any dash or clearance lights...It was a "mini-30" which I didn't have,but with a little investigation I stole the passenger seat fuse until I got to Nappanee...
With all the fuses and connectors I have, I didn't know I needed the mini's but I fixed that while shopping in Nappanee...
As it turns out there are both a NAPA and an Advantage Auto Parts store in Nappanee, neither of which carried the Final Charge coolant though...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Peter, I was noticing the truckers today and got to chatting with them on the CB and I would say the majority of them DO NOT have their brake lights activated by the jake,although it does seem a reasonable idea in theory.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote