Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #29

Production Date - Factory Tour

Michelle Howard has informed me the production of my motor home will be in Building 7 from January 31st thru February 5th. Needless to say, I am very excited and am looking forward to witnessing the creation of my Dutchie. Plus, I am very clear that my debt to all of you entails the posting of many pictures; I am committed to not letting you down. In fact, I intend to be armed with a spare camera battery…So stay tuned!

I am planning to fly to South Bend and rent a car for my approximate four day stay in Nappanee. I have read some of your recommendations on this site for lodging and restaurants. I will be traveling alone, so B & Bs would not be my preference, however, the Inn at Amish Acres appears to be nice. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Unfortunately during this time of year, Newmar reduces their daily tours to only one at 10:00 am. I anticipate a significant amount of down time and am presuming the winter months limit options for sightseeing and other things to do that may only be available during warmer times of the year. Any recommendations in this regard will also be appreciated.

I spoke to Carl Snyder, Service Manager, regarding delivery procedures. The production of my unit is scheduled to be complete on February 18th. I have elected the factory delivery, which entails a two to three week technician testing of all systems. IMHO, this is where one sees the value and benefits of the $2,900 cost for factory delivery in-lieu-of a dealer delivery. He related my coach will be available for delivery to me as early as March 10th. I expressed I may wish to push the delivery date back to the beginning of April to ensure more favorable weather conditions. He said that would be fine.

I asked Mr. Snyder if the Service Department would install a voltage protection unit during the pre-delivery inspection period. He indicated he would be happy to provide this service, if I were to provide the hardware. I have chosen the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50. I plan to hand deliver it to Mr Snyder while I am on site for the factory tour. When I arrive to take delivery, it will already have been completed. You simply can't say enough good things about Newmar customer service.

I also asked Mr. Snyder for a local recommendation for the installation of a supplemental braking system for my motor home and toad. I do not want to drive all the way back to South Florida without one. He recommended Dan's Hitches, in Elkhart. I called them, however, they heavily favor the Brake Buddy system. My first choice is the SMI Air Force One, and my second choice would be M&G Engineering. Can anyone provide an installer recommendation for either of these two systems in the Nappanee area?

Once again, thank you so very much for your advice, recommendations and support!

Kind regards,

Jigs
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Well that is Great News!

If you're still there March 31th thru April 4, we'll meet you there.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #31

The M&G can be installed at Jerry's in Bloomington (200 miles) or Mike Raisor Ford in Lafayette (100) miles. The Air Force One has a dealer in Newburgh (300 miles). so, I guess it's a matter of route plus how long you mind driving without brakes. I drive with the M&G and think it's great, but I hear good things about Air Force also. Safe Travels!
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #32

The SMI location soricobob mentioned is the main office for SMI I think. At least that's where I call for parts, etc. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Jigs --

You will find an SMI approved installer in the Elkhart area. AFO is the way to go IMO. You could, of course, have the toad set up in advance and then the hook up on the coach is all you would need to do after picking up the coach. If nothing else appears closer (though I think you will find something in Elkhart), Midway RV in Grand Rapids would be able to do the coach for you. About 110 miles from Nappanee to GR, it would be an easy drive in the coach and you would be in business. My strong guess is that with a vehicle like you have in your new Jeep, you will have no trouble finding someone very happy to drive it along with you for the final installation of the AFO.

Best wishes.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #34

jigs

I saw this in another forum for a SMI installation tech in the Elkhart area

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/smi-a...ll-132335.html

-Brian
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrv39 View Post
jigs I saw this in another forum for a SMI installation tech in the Elkhart area http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/smi-a...ll-132335.html -Brian
I'd recommend definite caution with this installer.

I had experience with this outfit and it was decidedly not good. They quoted one price for my AFO installation and when I arrived, they wanted to charge me significantly more than quoted. Classic "bait and switch". I said no dice. I was not impressed with the operation at all.

I reported what happened to SMI and they told me they did not approve of the installer changing the price as they attempted to do with me and they said that they would not keep the installer on their approved installer list. I ended up going elsewhere and was very glad I did.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #36

Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year!

I emailed SMI and asked if they did installations at their factory in Newburgh, and was told they did. The SMI factory would be a slight detour as I head south towards home. However, it is still a 300 mile, five hour drive from Nappanee. I would prefer to find a quality installer in Elkhart, if possible.

I have my fingers crossed for being able to head to Nappanee to witness the production of my coach as it enters building 7. I can only imagine the weather I might face the first week of February. Bear in mind, I'm a Florida boy with with very limited cold weather experience...By very limited, I mean I've seen snow once in my entire life -LOL. Please pray to the fair weather Gods for me - Your pictures depend on their good graces!

Jigs
Old 12-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
FLSteve and I took delivery of our coaches in early February. We were there a week and the temps never got above 13 degrees. Plus plenty of snow. But we were toasty and comfortable all the way with the Oasis system. But don't make my mistake by leaving out your sewer hose -- it took only three hours and it was frozen stiff, split and had to be discarded. Thankfully I was smart enough not to keep the fresh water hose outside the coach and connected. It would have gone the same way but it would gave been a bit more expensive to replace on the auto hose reel.

Nothing to worry about with the weather for your tour, Jigs. Just take it easy with the car if there's a lot of snow. You should be fine when your delivery date rolls around. But do plan to take all the time they give you for the full experience. You won't regret it.

You are going to have a ball seeing your coach in production, believe me!!!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If it was New Years weekend you might experience 1* temps and snow blowing off the lakes, when we returned back from FL. for more work to be done it was in the 30's a warm spell only thing you could run into is a snow storm with warming temps than again you may miss altogether and be able to slip back to sunny FL.
What ever keep your furnace running and you and coach will be warm as toast.
Safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #39

Thanks for the reassurance. Although the production of my build will be taking place the bitter cold first week of February, the delivery is not projected to be scheduled until March 10th. Even then, Carl Snyder, service manager, informed me I may push taking delivery back to the end of March, or beginning of April, if it is my wish. By then I hope to be positioned a little better, weather wise. Time will tell.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsup View Post
Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year! I emailed SMI and asked if they did installations at their factory in Newburgh, and was told they did. The SMI factory would be a slight detour as I head south towards home. However, it is still a 300 mile, five hour drive from Nappanee. I would prefer to find a quality installer in Elkhart, if possible. I have my fingers crossed for being able to head to Nappanee to witness the production of my coach as it enters building 7. I can only imagine the weather I might face the first week of February. Bear in mind, I'm a Florida boy with with very limited cold weather experience...By very limited, I mean I've seen snow once in my entire life -LOL. Please pray to the fair weather Gods for me - Your pictures depend on their good graces! Jigs
Our new coach is supposed to hit building 7 on January 29, so we will be there the same time as you. We are also planning on staying at Amish Acres. We will have to hook up while we're there. My experience with roads in the northern states usually aren't too bad. They have the equipment knowledge and manpower to take care of things pretty quick. We will be driving up in our jeep instead of flying. We will be taking delivery of ours in Texas, so won't be there for delivery. Looking forward to meeting you!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
Our new coach is supposed to hit building 7 on January 29, so we will be there the same time as you. We are also planning on staying at Amish Acres. We will have to hook up while we're there. My experience with roads in the northern states usually aren't too bad. They have the equipment knowledge and manpower to take care of things pretty quick. We will be driving up in our jeep instead of flying. We will be taking delivery of ours in Texas, so won't be there for delivery. Looking forward to meeting you!
Chief,

I would very much like to meet you and share this experience. I will private message you and maybe we can exchange phone numbers.

It looks like you're two days in front of me on the production line. As my unit will not be entering building 7 until Friday, I think I will fly in over the weekend in advance of a Monday morning viewing. I presume we will not be able to see anything over the weekend; if you find out otherwise, I would consider arriving earlier.

Looking forward to the adventure.

Jigs
Old 12-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Jigs and Chief --

I can't help but read this and remember so vividly going to see our '13 Dutch Star going down the production line last January and having the very same excitement and expectation that you have. Our coach went into production right after the New Year as soon as the production line started up after Newmar's holiday break which, if memory serves me correctly, went from Christmas till about January 6 or 7. How incredible it was to see our chassis come in from the outside, then take shape as the stunning new motor home of our dreams. It is just incredible to see the transformation in front of your eyes.

But don't miss the day it starts as these guys move really quick. In a day they can be all the way down the line after the chassis comes into Building 7 and be getting its back and end caps on after the roof is installed. You don't want to miss any of it if you can be there for it.

There will be nothing to see over the weekend. The place is shut down tighter than a drum. But there is always something fun to do. Like going along Delaware Street and seeing the finished coaches waiting in the yard for drivers to deliver them to waiting dealers throughout the country. You will probably see several models there, from Canyon Star to King Aire. If you haven't seen this before, it alone is fun, even in the dead of winter. And it's possible -- even likely -- that you will see a few other souls there getting service work done on their coaches. If so, they will probably be hooked up next to the Customer Service building and you may see them either outside of their coaches or inside the Customer Service building. If so, be sure to introduce yourselves -- I have always found people there to be more than friendly and interested in your visit. We have met some wonderful people there that way.

And of course there are places in Nappanee that you won't want to miss. Two huge favorites of mine are the Athens Grill on Main Street and the Martin's Grocery Store just east outside of town on Route 6. At Athens, be sure to get a Grecian salad with gyro meat and plenty of their yogurt dressing -- best salad I have ever had. At Martin's, you will want to stop early and get their Custard Long John -- it is all of about 66 cents and it is the biggest and best donut you will ever find. Starbucks coffee will also be waiting there for you and outside you will see the Amish buggies and horses tethered to the hitching posts and waiting for their owners. A real hoot for sure. There are other recommendations -- these are just a couple of my favs that I never miss on a Nappanee visit.

You can bet that there are many Forum watchers, like me, who are very happy for you two and rooting for you when you get to see your coaches coming down the line in Building 7. Have a ball.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!