Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Keeping out the dust

Let's say you were about to go into the dusty, windy desert for a week with your shiny Newmar RV. What steps would you take to reduce dust incursion?

Here's what I've come up with:

1. Either not open the slides, or open the slides and use masking tape to improve the sealing all around.

2. Turn off the Oasis and cover its intake and exhaust. (Or, perhaps, it has a great filter and I needn't worry?)

3. Hang plastic near the front of the coach and make a little "door" to climb through to access the rest of the house.

I'm not sure what else I should do.

I'll keep the windows closed; they seem so well sealed that I can barely open them most days. I do have some air filter material I can jury rig up to a window if I want to get some airflow on a clear evening to cool things down faster.

I have to run the generator during the day, so I'll have to trust its intake filter to do the job for the week.

I'm pretty sure the roof air and refrigerator are not vented (although I'm due to clean out the radiators on the Dometics afterwards anyway).

Am I missing anything obvious (or not obvious)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Way too much work. When you leave, give it a good cleaning and check your filters. Dust is part of nature, you just clean up afterwards.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

I think that is overkill myself. We camp in the desert all the time and have no issues with the dust. We just clean it real well and I wash it when I get home. Mine still looks better inside and out than the day I bought it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #4

Buy a big plastic bag, drive it in and zip it shut.

Definetly don't do the Alaska trip via the top of the world highway.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Go out and enjoy the use of your MH. Agonizing over a little bit of dust will not make your trip enjoyable.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nebster:

You sound just about as anal as I am. I found out about 7 years ago that sometimes it's easy to begin to take the fun out of RVing. Don't go there. Just enjoy the coach, and clean it up when you get home. Please don't make me have to drive up to CO. and explain this...Just have fun.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nebster....sounds like you are considering a trip to Burning Man. If so be prepared for more dirt and dust than you've ever known before. You'll be cleaning the Newmar for the remainder of the time you own it. I know someone who took an RV to the event last year and once they got there they put tape on the outside of the motorhome over all of the window edges and overlaps plus virtually every other potential opening that existed. Obviously you can't cover things like the hot water heater exhaust, generator exhaust or places that generate a potential for fire or suffocation hazard or are necessary for proper ventilation. And that's part of the problem. The sand and blowing dust/dirt will get into everything. If that is the kind of environment you are planning on going into you should be prepared for the consequences. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #8

Yeah, I'm talking about the powder-fine particulate that flies around in alkali flats likes at Burning Man. I'm not worried about the dirtiness of it or having to clean it (I'll get most all of it after a couple of deep cleanings, I'm super anal about that), but I am concerned about it causing damage to expensive machines. Best I can tell, if it really caused damage often, I'd have read about it by now. I'm assuming my mechanical systems are going to survive a powdering. :O
Old 08-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Yeah, I'm talking about the powder-fine particulate that flies around in alkali flats likes at Burning Man. I'm not worried about the dirtiness of it or having to clean it (I'll get most all of it after a couple of deep cleanings, I'm super anal about that), but I am concerned about it causing damage to expensive machines. Best I can tell, if it really caused damage often, I'd have read about it by now. I'm assuming my mechanical systems are going to survive a powdering. :O
YUP - made to be used. Things that need them have filters, those that don't - don't.

Of course you, as we all do, will not leave doors and windows open if it is blowing, etc but will go out and enjoy the moment where ever you travel.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:23 AM   #10

Alright, thanks folks, I'm going in with plans to sleep well at night. I'll hold you all liable if your advice is wrong and my engine blows up.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
The dust is pretty bad at Burning Man but the really big problem this year is a massive stink bug invasion. If you do go (I don't recommend it), take extra engine air cleaners and AC filters and check them frequently.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

Thanks, the bugs are gone but I suspect the dust remains.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Thanks, the bugs are gone but I suspect the dust remains.
Nebster your a long ways from Boulder/Longmont. Be interested in hearing about Burning Man.
Good luck
Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #14

Yes it sounds like your going to BM. Have fun. RV rental co won't rent this week unless you promise no BM and for a reason.
Went 2012. Use metal furnace tape. Cover stove fan outlet, all window weep holes, for sure slides. I saw a couple in the line going in. Can take hours and fine dust may be 10" deep. Like flour. They had painters plastic and right there taped up the whole dash board area . But on the bright side the average net worth of those in attendance will impressed you. Some very fancy Rv groups who have been attending for decades. Very dust protective googled and air masks are needed. Plan to take 2 showers a day. Even when it looks like no dust flash pictures will turn out like it's snowy. Take bikes. Have fun and don't miss Fri topless parade. And double Decker bus serving free coffee and Frence pastries on the playa in the morning. The art is worth the trip.
Randy
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote